Ryan O’Hearn 2024

Frobby

3 minutes ago, survivedc said:

What was that review all about? At the game so didn’t have benefit of all the replays, was there a thought that the fan was out over the field wall? Looked like Buxton was upset with the fan.

Yes. That appeared to be his contention. That Buxton could have caught it if the fan hadn’t reached over. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yes. That appeared to be his contention. That Buxton could have caught it if the fan hadn’t reached over. 

I guess I was confused by the fact that it was clearly over the front wall, the player doesn’t have the “right” to the ball at that point, correct?

5 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I guess I was confused by the fact that it was clearly over the front wall, the player doesn’t have the “right” to the ball at that point, correct?

That is correct. At that spot in the stadium it is not physically possible for a fan to reach on to the field of play and interfere with the OF attempting to make a catch. The umpires were out of their minds to even entertain a challenge on that play, and if NY had come back and overturned the HR call it would have been a fiasco of historic proportions. I was praying that it wasn't Angel Hernandez' turn to be the replay ump tonight, because he might be the only guy on the planet who'd believe that was fan interference. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

That is correct. At that spot in the stadium it is not physically possible for a fan to reach on to the field of play and interfere with the OF attempting to make a catch. The umpires were out of their minds to even entertain a challenge on that play, and if NY had come back and overturned the HR call it would have been a fiasco of historic proportions. I was praying that it wasn't Angel Hernandez' turn to be the replay ump tonight, because he might be the only guy on the planet who'd believe that was fan interference. 

O’Hearn on the post game interview said he was gonna do a George Brett if they took it away. 

• Haha 1

It was an easy call that it was a home run.  Kind of scarey that after the review they said the play stands instead of the call on the field was confirmed.   The play stands means it was too close to overturn.   As someone else mentioned, the fan wasn’t even close to being in the field of play.  Secondly, seemed clear to me, that Buxton doesn’t get his glove on it even if the fan doesn’t touch it.

53 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It was an easy call that it was a home run.  Kind of scarey that after the review they said the play stands instead of the call on the field was confirmed.   The play stands means it was too close to overturn.   As someone else mentioned, the fan wasn’t even close to being in the field of play.  Secondly, seemed clear to me, that Buxton doesn’t get his glove on it even if the fan doesn’t touch it.

Sometimes it makes you wonder if the umps even know the rules. 

30 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

His career OPS vs LHP is .541. 

.789 last year, where all his numbers exceeded his career numbers.  Though the .789 came with a .192 BA.

I’m fine leaving him in the role he’s in.  It’s worked well for him.  

• Upvote 1

He just hits the ball so hard.  It’s hard to believe he’s just going to go back in the toilet. 

He may end up being nothing more than a 300-400 at bat guy and someone you can’t play vs lefties but I’m guessing that’s still a role he will be very solid in.

He also seems like a good teammate. 

I kind  of doubt he’s back here next year at 7.5M but it wouldn’t surprise me if he was either.