Albert Suarez 2024

Tony-OH

6 minutes ago, now said:

Finally it appears he's getting appreciation and respect as a rotation stalwart--as he's been mostly overlooked or dismissed while we bemoan the loss of our more known starters. Takes time, I guess... and continued success, to override preconceptions.

BTW, his ERA (as he approaches qualifying IP) of 3.18 matches Ragans for #12 in the AL as of now.

I wouldn't say he's unappreciated but we were waiting for the other shoe to drop with him.  Usually the odds are high that a 34 year old 7 years removed from his last big league appearance (and who wasn't very good during his last stint in the majors) doesn't magically become a #2/#3 starter.  But he's clearly figured something out.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, now said:

Finally it appears he's getting appreciation and respect as a rotation stalwart--as he's been mostly overlooked or dismissed while we bemoan the loss of our more known starters. Takes time, I guess... and continued success, to override preconceptions.

BTW, his ERA (as he approaches qualifying IP) of 3.18 matches Ragans for #12 in the AL as of now.

The question most of us were asking is can Suarez keep this up over a whole season? And right now the answer is yes and he's one of the most important players on the roster. Any pitcher can go on a hot streak over a month or two, but Suarez is proving he's on more than a heater.

Maybe Suarez falls back to earth next year, but he's shaping up to be a player who has to be on the 2024 team.

3 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

The scrap heap guys haven’t been the problem as much as the veterans all star guys.  Kimbrel and Soto are two proven guys and former  all stars.  The scrap heap guys he has added are Smith, Coulumbe, Perez, Cano and Webb.  Who have been some of the better guys in the pen this year.  If Kimbrel was pitching like he did last year or even like he was the first half of this year it would help.  

I think I’m all for scrap heap and reclamation. I think there’s a lot of value there. But I do think in a contending setting we can’t give as many opportunities for guys to right themselves as maybe we used to. That’s more what I was meaning. Because obviously Elias is good at finding them. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Talk about a guy stepping up.  Grayson who?   You couldn’t have asked for more from Suarez these last three outings.  

One think I really appreciate is the guy is very calm out there.  

As Hyde said in the post-game presser: "Really competes well. You know he bears down really, really well and there's not a whole lot of panic out there either and he's really, really under control. The game doesn't speed up on him."

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

His 3.18 ERA ranks 19th among pitchers in MLB with at least 90 IP. 

There’s only 32 pitchers in all of MLB that even currently qualify for an ERA title. 

Suarez is a dude we take for granted, kick out the rotation, but might finish top 10 in CYA. 

He’s not finishing top 10 in CY

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Would you be mad if he did? 

Somebody would be mad, as in crazy.  

The way the Cy Young voting works is the 30 voters each pick a top 5.  So for Suarez to finish in the top 10, somebody would have to put him in their top 5.   Not happening. 

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Somebody would be mad, as in crazy.  

The way the Cy Young voting works is the 30 voters each pick a top 5.  So for Suarez to finish in the top 10, somebody would have to put him in their top 5.   Not happening. 

Get off my lawn!! 🤣

11 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The question most of us were asking is can Suarez keep this up over a whole season? And right now the answer is yes and he's one of the most important players on the roster. Any pitcher can go on a hot streak over a month or two, but Suarez is proving he's on more than a heater.

Maybe Suarez falls back to earth next year, but he's shaping up to be a player who has to be on the 2024 team.

I hope he is here next year if he keeps it up .  But we see how he does come ST , as starter , swing man , set up or something .  He’s a comeback story 

He has been outstanding.. like the Miguel Gonzalez sign.. an unexpected and great contribution!!  If he stays in rotate great!! I had the passing thought that he might be a closer if needed given his calmness, scoreless innings etc 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

At this point I wouldn't mind if he had to start a playoff game. Though it'd be a nice luxury if he could be a bullpen weapon.

Let’s see how he’s looking in late September.  If he’s in top form, then he’s a consideration.  But he did have a period where he wasn’t pitching well (6.88 ERA in 7 starts, 1 relief appearance) right before his recent heater.