Basallo for Miller y/n?

Philip

Just now, sevastras said:

Would you classify yourself as a realist, pessimist, or devils advocate?

Are you questioning my level of self awareness?

I do play the devil's advocate on occasion when I think it's the best way to convey a point.

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

That's fair. But the starter will have similar injury risk. Almost all pitchers get hurt in the modern game. That's just a reality. You have to use them while they are upright.

By the way, there aren't going to be that many high end MLB starting pitchers on the market, like last year. Maybe SEA is a team who would be willing? But then they are going to want someone who is ready to help their lineup currently. 

A guy who throws as hard as Miller will carry a higher injury risk than most.

Kjerstad is ready to help anyone's lineup, he just needs a chance. There will be opportunities out there this off-season if Elias wants to be aggressive about it.

Last year the 112 loss A's did not trade Trevor May.

The SIgbot's report of the asymmetry between Miller and a hand selected, long trained bat is probably "maximum".

It is a fair bet Elias taking in all the data will deal near the deadline when postures will relax and maybe a few more marginal teams change the supply-demand mix in the run up to the deadline.    Last year relievers that was Scott Barlow, Kenyan Middleton, Brad Hand, Dominic Leone, Sam Moll, Chris Stratton, Kendall Graveman, Joe Kelly, Trent Thornton and Pierce Johnson on the undercard in the final week.    Elias moved early on Shintaro Fujinami on 7/19.

https://www.mlb.com/news/every-2023-mlb-trade-deadline-deal

Reynaldo Lopez, David Robertson, Paul Sewald and Jordan Hicks were headliners, and perhaps a fair yardstick around where I think Elias will be shopping this summer in Felix's absence.

The MLB draft still in the early years of being later on the calendar isn't until 7/14, and the weeks preceding that use up a lot of bandwidth for front offices.

No for me on Basallo for Miller - I think for the clubhouse all else being equal Elias might prefer to keep the 2025 runway clear for Felix, apart from the usual short term pitcher commitment preference.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Are you questioning my level of self awareness?

I do play the devil's advocate on occasion when I think it's the best way to convey a point.

Just curious, because you tend to argue the opposing view when the opportunity presents itself. 
And yes, that would be a question of self awareness. 😁

Just now, deward said:

Kjerstad is ready to help anyone's lineup, he just needs a chance. There will be opportunities out there this off-season if Elias wants to be aggressive about it.

SEA is a team in first place with a serious lack of offense. I can't see them being willing to part with one of their starters who already is and "is" for someone (who no doubt talented) is still a "may be". 

But I agree, there will be opportunities to improve the club during the trading window/deadline.

1 minute ago, sevastras said:

Just curious, because you tend to argue the opposing view when the opportunity presents itself. 
And yes, that would be a question of self awareness. 😁

Sometimes I do question what I think of as a poorly structured argument.

In this specific case I'd fall somewhere between Basallo and Kjerstad.

I don't think the one is enough and I wouldn't give up the other.

I do think the cost to acquire him in 2024 would be high.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, deward said:

Is there a study showing that a guy that throws 100-102 is more of a risk than someone that throws 97-99 or 94-96?.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

See, that wasn’t so hard. I would agree with your assessment. 

The idea of a Mason Miller/Felix Bautista tandem in the backend for a few years is tantalizing and a huge advantage in the postseason. Given our depth in MLB ready position players and our complete lack of pitching prospects outside of Povich and McDermott (who himself cannot seem to find the strike zone this year), I'm more willing to take the risk on dealing elite position player prospects for young, controllable pitching. 

The problem with Miller though is the heightened risk of an elbow issue which means he could be out 18 months+ if he needs TJS, but even if he doesn't he's currently limited in how much he is used. Given that, Basallo is a bit too steep a cost for me. 

15 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Last year the 112 loss A's did not trade Trevor May.

The SIgbot's report of the asymmetry between Miller and a hand selected, long trained bat is probably "maximum".

It is a fair bet Elias taking in all the data will deal near the deadline when postures will relax and maybe a few more marginal teams change the supply-demand mix in the run up to the deadline.    Last year relievers that was Scott Barlow, Kenyan Middleton, Brad Hand, Dominic Leone, Sam Moll, Chris Stratton, Kendall Graveman, Joe Kelly, Trent Thornton and Pierce Johnson on the undercard in the final week.    Elias moved early on Shintaro Fujinami on 7/19.

https://www.mlb.com/news/every-2023-mlb-trade-deadline-deal

Reynaldo Lopez, David Robertson, Paul Sewald and Jordan Hicks were headliners, and perhaps a fair yardstick around where I think Elias will be shopping this summer in Felix's absence.

The MLB draft still in the early years of being later on the calendar isn't until 7/14, and the weeks preceding that use up a lot of bandwidth for front offices.

No for me on Basallo for Miller - I think for the clubhouse all else being equal Elias might prefer to keep the 2025 runway clear for Felix, apart from the usual short term pitcher commitment preference.

Whatever was part of the decision making matrix to acquire Fujinama and Flaherty, I hope have been discarded/will not be used this go around. Those two deals were minuses for the club and contributed nothing to our efforts for postseason success.

Elias has already fixed the #1 starter issue. Now he has a high leverage/late inning reliever hole on the roster. I hope that 2025 is not a consideration for 2024. We are an excellent late game reliever/closer away from being the best team in baseball and the WS favorite.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would Mayo serve as that "in between"?