Basallo for Miller y/n?

Philip

38 minutes ago, Philip said:

This isn’t like the Erod trade, unless you’re factoring in the typical “position player>pitcher” argument. That point is valid, but I think you’re underestimating what Miller would give the team, which we need desperately right now. If he and Kimbrel shared 9th inning duties, they could factor into 120+ games.

And Miller is a first year guy too, we’d have him til 2029.

I doubt Oakland would be interested in Heston, who apparently isn’t even good enough to get into a game now.

Kjerstad isn't good enough to get into our lineup (one of the best in baseball) but on the A's he would be there best/most talented hitter. But you may be correct in that they may require Basallo or Mayo for Miller.

34 minutes ago, deward said:

You'd probably have regrets when Kjerstad is hitting 30 bombs for Oakland and Miller is on the shelf with TJ and never gets back to 100%. I know Miller has been going his best Felix Bautista impression for 13 innings this year, but he's got a grand total of 46 innings in the majors, and the 33 he pitched last year were solid, but not amazing. As mentioned elsewhere, he already had a UCL sprain last year, so the specter of Tommy John is certainly hanging over him. I think trading a top 30 prospect for him would be getting a little carried away, and I can't see Elias doing that. 

I doubt we miss those 30 bombs that much. We have and are going to have several guys (and I mean like 7-8) hitting 25- 45 home runs every season for a long time.

35 minutes ago, Malike said:

They would want more for Miller than that, but I don't believe he'll be on the block anyway.

More than Basallo? Who can afford to offer/give them anything even remotely comparable to a top 20 prospect who is in AA? The A's are not ready to win now. They are likely going to want someone for Miller who has a Major League timeline like Basallo. 

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Kjerstad isn't good enough to get into our lineup (one of the best in baseball) but on the A's he would be there best/most talented hitter. But you may be correct in that they may require Basallo or Mayo for Miller.

That comment was meant to be sarcastic, I think Heston is very much qualified to be in our lineup, and it is a perpetual mystery why he is merely sitting on the bench.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I doubt we miss those 30 bombs that much. We have and are going to have several guys (and I mean like 7-8) hitting 25- 45 home runs every season for a long time.

I'd rather trade someone like Kjerstad for a starter to replace Burnes, not a reliever with a high amount of risk attached. 

Just now, Bemorewins said:

More than Basallo? Who can afford to offer/give them anything even remotely comparable to a top 20 prospect who is in AA? The A's are not ready to win now. They are likely going to want someone for Miller who has a Major League timeline like Basallo. 

Yes, that was my main point. The A’s don’t want somebody who’s ready now. They want somebody who’s going to be a top player in a year or two, and the farther back you are from major league action, the more likely it is there will be a problem, so somebody like Basallo would be very valuable to them.

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If I'm Oakland I wait for a better deal from another suitor.

Maybe get some pitching back.

WHo's going to realistically give them better than a top 20 prospect. Most of those guys are already in the Bigs or are on bad, rebuilding, or lower budget teams. I don't see any teams who have that kind of prospect being interested in a Miller type.

Maybe Caminero from the Rays? But the Rays aren't really that good this year where they are anywhere close to a Miller away from a World Series. Maybe the Rangers would give up Langford? Maybe Lawler with the Diamondbacks? That's about all I see.

The Yankees, Dodgers, Braves don't have ANY top level prospects.

5 minutes ago, deward said:

I'd rather trade someone like Kjerstad for a starter to replace Burnes, not a reliever with a high amount of risk attached. 

That's fair. But the starter will have similar injury risk. Almost all pitchers get hurt in the modern game. That's just a reality. You have to use them while they are upright.

By the way, there aren't going to be that many high end MLB starting pitchers on the market, like last year. Maybe SEA is a team who would be willing? But then they are going to want someone who is ready to help their lineup currently. 

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

There is a chance of Gunnar becoming the 6th member of the 40-40 club this year.  

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

That comment was meant to be sarcastic, I think Heston is very much qualified to be in our lineup, and it is a perpetual mystery why he is merely sitting on the bench.

Understood. I would like to see him as well. But there really is not much of a place to play him right now. I know some fans want the team to jettison Santander because of his slow start. But I don't see them operating that way, given how he started last season and where he wound up at the end.

1 minute ago, sevastras said:

There is a chance of Gunnar becoming the 6th member of the 40-40 club this year.  

Yes there is. He could be 50-30 or 40-40. Or some combo around those possibilities. He is definitely on his way toward greatness.

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, but it's a possibility.

I'd say his value was pretty darn high already this offseason.

Look at someone like Jesus Montero, top 5 prospect over multiple seasons (BA and BP).  Ended up being a bust.

You don't know until you know.

Would you classify yourself as a realist, pessimist, or devils advocate?