What is your takeaway from the Yankees series?

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

We are the better team with the much better trade chips/minor league pieces. Any move they can make we can counter and then some!

I don’t know the Yankees system, but I can tell you Elias is extremely risk averse and isn’t going to “go for it” the same way other teams will. The Yankees or whoever else just need to beat Norby/Stowers/Beavers type of offers because I don’t see Elias trading anyone else.

My takeaway is that Juan Soto is the kind of person who makes it about himself and invites drama. And, it is apparent that he either doesn't think that good defense is what teams pay for or he just personally doesn't like to play good defense... so he just doesn't bother. His theatrics after the home run made me wish we had Bob Gibson on the mound the next time he was up. He's a ticking time bomb and I can't wait to see it blow up.

• Upvote 1

My takeaway is a solid series win - several tight, hard fought contests leading into the last game. I don’t see the Yankees going anywhere. The Empire tends to overspend as needed to stay in the race.

One of my favorite things in baseball is O’s over the Yanks and we really are building a better, more sustainable team to haunt them on an annual basis. I don’t know that the Orioles will make move for move or make trades to shadow the Yanks, even though our farm is deeper.

Ultimately my take is, my team has no fear against the Yankees or any AL East foe. Which is cool, that’s how I grew up, with B-More standing toe-toe (or better) in the toughest division in the game.

Posted (edited)

To me three things:

-Orioles are younger, much more athletic and put pressure on the Yankees D with their speed throughout the lineup (the Orioes have hit into 8 DP's as a team-Judge has 10 alone)

-Orioles stars are younger and ascending the Yankees stars the opposite other than Soto

-The Orioles defense helped their pitching the Yankees not at all.

Edited by SemperFi

I do wonder if Soto goes if there might be a little down cycle until Jones and Jasson get established.   

Clay Holmes and Gleyber Torres are impending free agents who may or may not love the media frenzy around Soto and will he stay.

The big enchilada is Gerrit Cole's health status.    The best pitcher in the world available or not means a lot to a team, especially come tournament time.

Figuring this would be the 2024 race, one of the things I've wondered about is have the Orioles ever beaten the Yankees in a hot race?     The Orioles' greatest years don't seem like they have much had a good version of the Yankees to outplay.    Gausman won Game 162 there in 2016 to lock down playoff position but they were out of it by then.    1980, Jeter's lame flyball, Sabathia in the 2012 ALDS decider - they have gotten all the big head-to-heads late in the year.

Cashman's job is the only one I really worry about Elias bouncing for.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s dangerous to extrapolate much from one series.  If the Yankees stay healthy they’ll win 90+ games and force us to get to the high 90’s if we want to win the division.   Their starting pitching is decent and their bullpen as always is very good.  Death, taxes and a good Yankee bullpen.  

The offense wasn’t scary and we’ll see if it stays that way.  I think Torres is a big key to their season.  He’s at .569 OPS and at 27 years old there’s no reason he should suddenly be taking a 200 point OPS dive.  If he gets back to normal and Judge heats up, they’re suddenly much more dangerous on offense.  

I’m glad we took 3 of 4 and finished the series in first place, but there’s miles to go and the season will take many twists and turns.  

I would never sleep  on the Yankees...or sleep WITH them either.

• Upvote 1

My takeaway is the contrast between a young team versus an aging team.  Judge, Stanton, Rizzo, Rodon, Stroman, Cole are on the wrong side of 30 and more likely to decline (or be injured) over the course of the year.

I know they are becoming a meme because everyone thinks they are old and over-priced and Stanton fits that bill. They still have a top offense in baseball and they pitch better than anyone but the Red Sox. I'm not going to suggest they are a one month wonder. 

Just a couple of things...

This year's Yankees team is really bad at defense judging from what I saw.  They reminded me of the Orioles teams from the MacPhail years.  OTOH the O's are a real joy to watch in the field - no lack of confidence anywhere.

The O's can beat an age-old nemesis even when their offense barely shows up.  Big props to the O's starters for stepping up.

Stanton's decline is remarkable.  If Boog Powell raced him to 1B today, my money would be on Boog.

I genuinely dislike Juan Soto.

• Upvote 1

There could be more tight battles to come between the clubs, who are scheduled to meet again June 18-20 at Yankee Stadium.

“They can pitch, they’re athletic, they’ve got thump,” Boone said. “They’re a complete team that you know you’ve got to play well, and know they’re going to be there all year long. We look forward to more battles with them. They’re certainly formidable 

7 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Just a couple of things...

This year's Yankees team is really bad at defense judging from what I saw.  They reminded me of the Orioles teams from the MacPhail years.  OTOH the O's are a real joy to watch in the field - no lack of confidence anywhere.

The O's can beat an age-old nemesis even when their offense barely shows up.  Big props to the O's starters for stepping up.

Stanton's decline is remarkable.  If Boog Powell raced him to 1B today, my money would be on Boog.

I genuinely dislike Juan Soto.

What was going on with him staring down Kremer on the HR? I've rarely if ever seen that, but then I dont exactly watch much baseball outside of the O's. It was a pretty in your face moment. Maybe Kremer brushed him back on some previous pitch I missed.

I think if things come together for the Yankees, they're close to, but not equal to, us. That's because they should have 2 HOFers in the middle of their order and one at the top of their rotation, plus a better bullpen.

But we have deep depth. By September, 1-9 in the order should be a real threat to opposing teams. Burns, Bradish and Rodriguez as a top 3 can compete with anyone. Plus defense in most positions.

I'd still take us, but my head isn't in the sand about how good things could be for them if things come together instead of fall apart.

11 minutes ago, Malike said:

Everyone bit their nails for 4 days and now that we've come out on top 3-1 we shouldn't pretend like this series and the Yankees weren't competitive.

That's fair - it was competitive and I was never relaxed during this series until we went up big on Rodon.

For me at least, a lot of the nail-biting was about pitching questions, and we managed to dodge a few bullets there:

-Grayson bounced back from his rough start to pitch well, despite going on the IL later.
-Bradish came back and looked entirely like Bradish. 
-Pitching a man (and a closer) short in the bullpen didn't hurt us as the lesser guys like Akin, Webb, and Baumann stepped up well.