Mayo > Urias?

4 minutes ago, dystopia said:

How bad can his defense be, honestly? Is he pulling Buckners every other play? Throwing the ball into right field? No range? 

All I hear about is how atrocious his defense is. I have to know just how bad if Urias is a better option overall. Its not like Urias is Brooks Robinson out there. 

I don’t want to put a sloppy infielder that may go through an adjustment period in just because he hit a lot of home runs in AAA. Urias is the better defender and more of a proven commodity. Granted, Mayo has a ton more upside. But I just don’t know if it’s worth the defensive downgrade in hopes that Mayo can start off hot. 

Id really like to see Mayo get more time at 1B or RF. That seems to be where he’ll end up anyways. It feels like the O’s are trying to do the square peg in a round slot game with him. 

2 minutes ago, oriole said:

I don’t want to put a sloppy infielder that may go through an adjustment period in just because he hit a lot of home runs in AAA. Urias is the better defender and more of a proven commodity. Granted, Mayo has a ton more upside. But I just don’t know if it’s worth the defensive downgrade in hopes that Mayo can start off hot. 

Id really like to see Mayo get more time at 1B or RF. That seems to be where he’ll end up anyways. It feels like the O’s are trying to do the square peg in a round slot game with him. 

Part of that is that Mayo really wants to be a third baseman. Part of that is the Orioles already have options at RF and first base and part of that is if you put him at first, you negate his arm strength which he has a ton. I believe him when he says he wants to be a third baseman. I think he can do it and basically turn into Austin Riley for us. But even Austin Riley is a guy who hits bombs sure but doesn’t really hit for average. Anyway, I like Mayo a lot as a player but let’s not kid ourselves on where he is currently. Offensive stats are great and he’s great at putting them up but if he wants to fulfill his dream and be a third baseman, he’s got a lot of improving to do.

Mayo for Urias is probably a wash between the two.  Mayo's bat is far superior to Urias and Urias glove is far superior to Mayo.  If Urias had some speed i would keep him but he is also one of the slowest guys i have seen for his size.  Then you add in it would save you about 1.5 million this year if you trade him and it seems like easy decision.  You can then use that to help get you another bullpen arm down the stretch.  

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, dystopia said:

How bad can his defense be, honestly? Is he pulling Buckners every other play? Throwing the ball into right field? No range? 

All I hear about is how atrocious his defense is. I have to know just how bad if Urias is a better option overall. Its not like Urias is Brooks Robinson out there. 

lol what? the reason you keep hearing it is because that is one of the main reasons he isn't on 3rd base on the MLB team right now. Your attempt at downplaying it with teenage exaggerations is funny, though. ZOMG hes Brooks Robinson now

Edited by potota_bread

7 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Mayo for Urias is probably a wash between the two.  Mayo's bat is far superior to Urias and Urias glove is far superior to Mayo.  If Urias had some speed i would keep him but he is also one of the slowest guys i have seen for his size.  Then you add in it would save you about 1.5 million this year if you trade him and it seems like easy decision.  You can then use that to help get you another bullpen arm down the stretch.  

1) Urias has little to no trade value now.

2) The last thing that we should be concerned about with a team this good and a payroll this low is pinching pennies  and saving 1.5 million.

2 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Ok. How bout Norby vs. Urias?

What makes Norby better than Mayo? And what is Norby’s place on this team next year even? With all the talent on the team currently and all the better/more talented INF in the Minors in front of him, I don’t see a regular place in the lineup going into the future.

He will serve a much better purpose in being included in a trade IMO than to start his clock now.

37 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Is it though? He looks like’s swinging a 50 lb. bat. He’s aging so badly, I don’t think he’ll ever sniff a .700 OPS in his career again. 

He’s aging so badly?  What an awful take.

He has had a bad 55 at bats this year.  What other evidence do you have that he is “aging badly”?

He had an OpS over 700 for the second half and it was in the mid 700s in September of last year, with a really strong OBP.

So, it’s not like he was garbage for most of last year heading into the offseason and is continuing to struggle.  This is just a SSS of awful production.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Ok. How bout Norby vs. Urias?

Again, it doesn’t matter who is on the other side of this equation.

The question is, what do you do with Urias?  The other part is easy. 

Edited by Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s aging so badly?  What an awful take.

He has had a bad 55 at bats this year.  What other evidence do you have that he is “aging badly”?

He had an OpS over 700 for the second half and it was in the mid 700s in September of last year, with a really strong OBP.

So, it’s not like he was garbage for most of last year heading into the offseason and is continuing to struggle.  This is just a SSS of awful production.

I think Urias is a guy (like a lot of guys) who benefits from consistent playing time.  I think his defense won't really slump, but when he's getting consistent at bats he's not a hole in the lineup.  

It would be absolutely hilarious to see the "how bad could his defense be?" crowd to start eviscerating players who have been advertised as average defenders.  I want to see Mayo as much as everyone else outside of Roy, but I'm under no illusion he's an asset with the glove at third.  

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think Urias is a guy (like a lot of guys) who benefits from consistent playing time.  I think his defense won't really slump, but when he's getting consistent at bats he's not a hole in the lineup.  

It would be absolutely hilarious to see the "how bad could his defense be?" crowd to start eviscerating players who have been advertised as average defenders.  I want to see Mayo as much as everyone else outside of Roy, but I'm under no illusion he's an asset with the glove at third.  

Exactly. He’d get the McKenna treatment quick out the gate. “Can’t hit! Can’t field! He just cost us the game! What is he even doing on the team!” It’d be hilarious if it weren’t so predictable.

2 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Exactly. He’d get the McKenna treatment quick out the gate. “Can’t hit! Can’t field! He just cost us the game! What is he even doing on the team!” It’d be hilarious if it weren’t so predictable.

Well no one should be questioning Mayo's ability to hit.  I'd be surprised if he doesn't hit at the ML level.  McKenna's not really a great hitter.

But the point still stands.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Well no one should be questioning Mayo's ability to hit.  I'd be surprised if he doesn't hit at the ML level.  McKenna's not really a great hitter.

But the point still stands.  

Well I just mean that he likely will struggle at the plate out the gate as all our young guys have and combining that with a poor glove will have folks jumping out windows hah

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Again, it doesn’t matter who is on the other side of this equation.

The question is, what do you do with Urias?  The other part is easy. 

Eh, I don't think hamstringing the team because we don't know what to do with the guys we are replacing is a successful long term strategy.  If we have better players (debatable of course) that can make the team better, we shouldn't NOT make moves because we don't know what to do with the guy we are replacing.  Sure, ideally we can find a trade that helps up now or in the future.  BUT whether we are talking about McKenna, Urias, or whomever, if we have better options to help the MLB team win, we can't be overly worried about what happens to those we replace.  Trade him?  Sure, if we can.  Option him?  Sure, if we can and they have options.  DFA him?  Sure, if no better option exists or is possible.  Urias has been a decent/average player for a few years. But SO FAR (SSS) he's a liability at the plate this season.  MAYBE he reverts back to being closer to his career averages.  Maybe he doesn't.  But if we can improve the team Urias isn't so valuable that I'm going to lose sleep over where he ends up or how he is removed from the roster.