Mayo > Urias?

31 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Well, I mean, the arm is quite important however. And I agree it would be a greater log jam in the infield with Westy, Holliday, Henderson, Mountcastle and Mayo. We are still a year away from Mayo joining the team and potentially Holliday too. Mateo has played well enough to keep Holliday down a bit longer but we will know a lot more in July as to what the options are for this year and the future. I still think Mayo can stick at third. I wish Mayo was left handed. That’d make this so much easier!

We aren’t a year away from Those 2 joining the team.

17 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Well that’s a big if for one, but I’d use Westy to platoon with Holliday and give Mayo and Henderson days off defensively as well. Keeps everyone well rested and ensures matchups depending on the pitching. But moving Westy to CF is insane honestly. 

Yeah Westy looks great at both 2nd and 3rd. There’s no way I move him to the outfield. I’d move Holliday out there first.

To me, ideally the future infield is Henderson at SS, Westburg at 3rd, Holliday at 2nd, with Mayo sharing 1B/RF with Basallo and Kjerstad. If Basallo can stick as backup catcher and play some 1B, you could have a situation where almost everyone in our top 9 has at least two potential positions. That way, every player can be rotated to DH to give them a little rest, and another guy in our top 9 could be rotated into a secondary position to cover for them without needing to start bench players a lot. Then most of our bench could be guys who are defensive replacements or right handed bats to start against lefty pitchers. 

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We aren’t a year away from Those 2 joining the team.

A lot would have to happen for Mayo to get called up. The ball is firmly in his court to change that. Besides, we have Kjerstad for the late game/DH bat off the bench. He’s already on the 40 man. He’s a lefty, he can play the outfield in a pinch. I like Mayo but I think he is simply not going to play this year because he’s not ready yet.

Now that may change if there are trades and what not, but I just don’t see that happening for Mayo unless his defense makes a vast improvement. Playing every day in AAA means more opportunities to progress with the glove. That’s important.

I could see Holliday could come up in the second half if there are trades and September for sure when the rosters expand a bit. But yeah, a lot would have to happen is all. 

6 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

A lot would have to happen for Mayo to get called up. The ball is firmly in his court to change that. Besides, we have Kjerstad for the late game/DH bat off the bench. He’s already on the 40 man. He’s a lefty, he can play the outfield in a pinch. I like Mayo but I think he is simply not going to play this year because he’s not ready yet.

Now that may change if there are trades and what not, but I just don’t see that happening for Mayo unless his defense makes a vast improvement. Playing every day in AAA means more opportunities to progress with the glove. That’s important.

I could see Holliday could come up in the second half if there are trades and September for sure when the rosters expand a bit. But yeah, a lot would have to happen is all. 

A lot doesn’t have to happen for Holliday.  I would tend to agree it does for Mayo.

Holliday will be up before July.  

I don't feel like there is any chance Mayo is getting called up w/ the defensive deficiencies as they currently are.  Elias would have to get pretty good reports of his improvement (at any of the proposed positions) in order to unseat players at those positions (especially 3B and 1B) that are quite good defensively, and in the case of Mountcastle and Westburg, damn good offensively too.

Every time lately I see Westburg or Urias make a tough play at third (which is relatively often), I wonder if that was a play Mayo could have made.  Same w/ Mounty at first - he's made some really tough picks over there and has dramatically improved on defense.  I don't see Hyde or Elias being comfortable going backwards on that front mid-season, especially when there is no guarantee that the hitting will carry the lesser defense in the first couple of months, given the adjustment period we have seen for most of these guys.  Our IF defense has been very good, and I don't see them wanting to screw w/ that.

Mayo being only 21 helps this out.  You can justify him being down there to get better as a third baseman pretty much all year at that age.  If our other 3B options were less - or an injury occurs - that's harder to do, of course.  But we're kind of stacked in the infield WITHOUT Mayo, so rushing his defensive development simply isn't necessary right now.

I doubt there is anyone who thinks Urias is better than Mayo, so the thread title is silly anyway.  But Urias IS better for the current role that roster position is filling.  I think if you're holding your breath for a Mayo call up, you're more likely to suffocate than to get your way.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dystopia said:

Is it though? He looks like’s swinging a 50 lb. bat. He’s aging so badly, I don’t think he’ll ever sniff a .700 OPS in his career again. 

He’s hit .701 since April 12.   I don’t rule out him heating up.  I do think his EV drop (from 89 to 84) is quite alarming and supports your 50 lb. bat description.   

• Upvote 1

I assume (and of course it's not best to assume), that our starting IF for near future is Mountcastle, Holliday, Henderson and Westburg. There are no starting positions for Mayo, Norby, Mateo or Urias in the next few years if things develop properly. Right not, I see no reason to get rid of O'hearn. Mateo is a very valuable piece off of the bench. I think Mayo and Norby are trade bait, unless you move people to the OF. We have Santander leaving this year and hopefully Kjerstad can handle his spot. That leaves Mullins in CF and Hays/Cowser in LF. Maybe Stowers gets up later; maybe not. We do have some CF depth later on with Bradfield. Now, these may not develop as expected, but if things go as expected, I think this is what we are looking at. 

49 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I assume (and of course it's not best to assume), that our starting IF for near future is Mountcastle, Holliday, Henderson and Westburg. There are no starting positions for Mayo, Norby, Mateo or Urias in the next few years if things develop properly. Right not, I see no reason to get rid of O'hearn. Mateo is a very valuable piece off of the bench. I think Mayo and Norby are trade bait, unless you move people to the OF. We have Santander leaving this year and hopefully Kjerstad can handle his spot. That leaves Mullins in CF and Hays/Cowser in LF. Maybe Stowers gets up later; maybe not. We do have some CF depth later on with Bradfield. Now, these may not develop as expected, but if things go as expected, I think this is what we are looking at. 

Some posters/fans want to get rid of good players like O’Hearn and Mountcastle because they believe the younger players will eventually be better.

In the scenario that you laid out, where Santander’s spot in RF is the only place available next season, I’m not sure that Kjerstad is the better player than Mayo. Mayo is a good bit younger and Kjerstad is not good with the glove. At least Mayo has a very good arm, so he may not be worse than Kjerstad in RF. Additionally, Mayo is more of an asset by helping to balance out the lineup due to his RHH. 

If Mateo has to go to the IL then I think he we see Mayo or Norby up.  Advantage Mayo because both have to be added to the 40 man this winter, and Mayo is a better 3B then Norby is a 2B.  Well at least for us right now at the MLB level.  All things considered.  We'd have to DFA someone to make that happen.  Probably Ort or Krook.  

15 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Some posters/fans want to get rid of good players like O’Hearn and Mountcastle because they believe the younger players will eventually be better.

In the scenario that you laid out, where Santander’s spot in RF is the only place available next season, I’m not sure that Kjerstad is the better player than Mayo. Mayo is a good bit younger and Kjerstad is not good with the glove. At least Mayo has a very good arm, so he may not be worse than Kjerstad in RF. Additionally, Mayo is more of an asset by helping to balance out the lineup due to his RHH. 

Has Mayo played the OF much at all?

29 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Has Mayo played the OF much at all?

None in games at AAA. But now is probably a great time to see what he can do out there IMO. Don’t want to wait until next year to have to see if he can.

9 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

None in games at AAA. But now is probably a great time to see what he can do out there IMO. Don’t want to wait until next year to have to see if he can.

But nothing to indicate that management wants to see him play OF yet then, I guess

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

But nothing to indicate that management wants to see him play OF yet then, I guess

According to reports, he’s been getting some practice reps out in RF, for whatever that’s worth.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

By the way, Mayo is in a pretty bad slump right now, 1 for his last 25 and 0 for his last 12.

Some posters don’t care. They want what they want. And they want it right now! lol