Mayo > Urias?

I would much prefer Mayo in the lineup over Urias. I think the Holliday experiment means Mayo stays down until Elias feels like there will be enough playing time available for Mayo to fully make the transition. Right now the team as a whole isn’t playing well enough to carry a weak link anyway. 

3 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Eh, I don't think hamstringing the team because we don't know what to do with the guys we are replacing is a successful long term strategy.  If we have better players (debatable of course) that can make the team better, we shouldn't NOT make moves because we don't know what to do with the guy we are replacing.  Sure, ideally we can find a trade that helps up now or in the future.  BUT whether we are talking about McKenna, Urias, or whomever, if we have better options to help the MLB team win, we can't be overly worried about what happens to those we replace.  Trade him?  Sure, if we can.  Option him?  Sure, if we can and they have options.  DFA him?  Sure, if no better option exists or is possible.  Urias has been a decent/average player for a few years. But SO FAR (SSS) he's a liability at the plate this season.  MAYBE he reverts back to being closer to his career averages.  Maybe he doesn't.  But if we can improve the team Urias isn't so valuable that I'm going to lose sleep over where he ends up or how he is removed from the roster.  

I disagree. You don’t just drop quality ML players for the hell of it.

There has to be some semblance of a plan outside of, bring up player A and cut player B.

The Os are tied for fewest losses in baseball. They are fine.  This stuff can and will work itself out.

Mayo is not going to be a third baseman for the Orioles.  People really need to get that out of their heads. It’s just not happening unless an unexpected trade occurs and that isn’t likely.

I would have had Mayo on the roster on OD. I would have looked to move a few vets in the offseason to create space.

But I also get why Elias didn’t do it and while it looks like the wrong decision right now (purely from a personnel standpoint, obviously the record is great), the decision has merit. 

The issue I have is that the Os aren’t playing Mayo at first or RF everyday. I don’t get that.  It makes no sense to me. He doesn’t have a path to third base on this team. They aren’t moving Westburg or Holliday to the OF to put Mayo at third.  It’s just not happening.

39 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

What makes Norby better than Mayo? And what is Norby’s place on this team next year even? With all the talent on the team currently and all the better/more talented INF in the Minors in front of him, I don’t see a regular place in the lineup going into the future.

He will serve a much better purpose in being included in a trade IMO than to start his clock now.

I don't watch much AAA, but isn't Norby's defense better than Mayo's?

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Mayo is not going to be a third baseman for the Orioles.  People really need to get that out of their heads. It’s just not happening unless an unexpected trade occurs and that isn’t likely.

I would have had Mayo on the roster on OD. I would have looked to move a few vets in the offseason to create space.

But I also get why Elias didn’t do it and while it looks like the wrong decision right now (purely from a personnel standpoint, obviously the record is great), the decision has merit. 

The issue I have is that the Os aren’t playing Mayo at first or RF everyday. I don’t get that.  It makes no sense to me. He doesn’t have a path to third base on this team. They aren’t moving Westburg or Holliday to the OF to put Mayo at third.  It’s just not happening.

Well they kept trotting Holliday out to SS last year (even a little this Spring) after it was quite clear that Gunnar would be SS. 

They are great at many things, but not perfect.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Well they kept trotting Holliday out to SS last year (even a little this Spring) after it was quite clear that Gunnar would be SS. 

They are great at many things, but not perfect.

Well, it’s not definite that Henderson is the SS long term though. There is at least merit to that.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You've been saying this for a while now. The Orioles don't agree with you otherwise he wouldn't be playing 3B every game for the Tides.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s going to be very enjoyable to pull up this post if the Orioles call up Mayo to play 3B, move Westburg to 2B and start platooning Mateo with Mullins in CF.   

Long range I agree it’s doubtful they move Holliday to CF but stranger things have happened.

Yes, Mayo is almost certainly better than Urias, but do you really want him up here getting an Urias amount of plate appearances?

As to not wanting to lose an "asset" in Urias, the Orioles have likely been shopping him for a while. He's not the kind of guy teams want to trade for, and if they do trade for him they don't offer much. If we DFA'd him and someone claimed him, I'm not going to lose sleep that we missed out on a Latin lottery ticket type player by not trading him.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

You've been saying this for a while now. The Orioles don't agree with you otherwise he wouldn't be playing 3B every game for the Tides.

He’s not playing there every game (most games though) and he’s also doing OF stuff in practice.

There is no path for him to be at third unless the thought is Holliday is down all year, which he won’t be.

I don’t care what they are doing position wise in the minors..he’s not playing there at this level on this team, again unless Holliday isn’t a MLer for most or the rest of this year and even if he is, there is no path for Mayo at third beyond this season.

My post is more bigger picture than a month here or there in 2024.

Edited by Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s not playing there every game (most games though) and he’s also doing OF stuff in practice.

There is no path for him to be at third unless the thought is Holliday is down all year, which he won’t be.

I don’t care what they are doing position wise in the minors..he’s not playing there at this level on this team, again unless Holliday isn’t a MLer for most or the rest of this year and even if he is, there is no path for Mayo at third beyond this season.

I think I asked you this before. If they're playing him primarily at 3B, then they must think he's an option there in the majors. I agree with you but I don't think the O's do.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And you may be right. I just don’t want him at first base because his arm is that good. Him at right would be fine but I think he really wants to prove it at third and that would be fine as well if he can do it. Flexibility is important too.

Just now, spleen1015 said:

I think I asked you this before. If they're playing him primarily at 3B, then they must think he's an option there in the majors. I agree with you but I don't think the O's do.

They do..but there is also a chance they trade him and they also keep value in mind.

The Os know that Henderson and Holliday are in the IF. They know Westburg is likely there too and he is cementing that more and more everyday. 

It’s just not realistic.  He’s not going to end up there long term. Like I said, it’s possible he comes up and doesn’t for a month or 2 but they aren’t keeping Holliday down for that long, so it will be short lived, whether it’s a month or the rest of 2024.  Beyond that, there is just no chance barring an unexpected trade or injury.

2 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

And you may be right. I just don’t want him at first base because his arm is that good. Him at right would be fine but I think he really wants to prove it at third and that would be fine as well if he can do it. Flexibility is important too.

I don’t care about his arm. I care about his bat.  In other words, however they get him into the lineup is what is most important imo.

Chris Davis had a great arm too. 

I think the ideal role for Mayo is going to be some RF, some first and some DH. More RF than first once Basallo is here.