Mayo > Urias?

Right now, which would do more for the major league team? Would Mayo go through an adjustment period like Gunnar, Cowser and Stowers did where they weren't very good their first time up? Will Urias come back around to his career average? Also, should we risk DFA Urias and losing him completely?

Offensively, yes, but Mayo has a similar number of errors as he does homers so he really has work to do with the glove. His time will come but right now, Urias is the better option.

2 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Offensively, yes, but Mayo has a similar number of errors as he does homers so he really has work to do with the glove. His time will come but right now, Urias is the better option.

I disagree.  While Mayo may give up some baserunners and errors on defense, I feel that would be offset by what he brings with the bat.  Urias, on the other hand, has been good with the glove but is arguably costing us runs and baserunners with how bad he is hitting.  I think the overall impact of both of them would be about the same, just where they excel where they are questionable differ.  Overall impact on the team is likely a wash.  If so, I'd rather see the playing time go to the future, Mayo, and not the past, Urias.  

I had this discussion on twitter yesterday.

Forget the Mayo aspect of things for a moment.

What do you do with Urias?

Urias is a decent defensive player. He’s not a GGer and every year but 2022 saw him have a negative OAA. But he’s also not some well below average guy either.  He’s good enough, is how I would put it. He’s not hurting you.

Offensively, he has an OPS+ of 103 in his over 1200 PA with the Os. Every year except 2023, he has had an OPS+ over 100 and in 2023, it was 98.

This year, he has been awful with the bat but it’s also just 55 PA. Lots of guys look awful for 55 PA.  We have people clamoring for Hays and he has been awful for the last 320 PA.

He has been worth just over a 4 fWAR for those 1200 PA..so basically, he has been a 2 WAR guy a year over a full season.

Now, he is 30 years old and maybe the skills have erode but he did end the year fine last year, so it’s not like there were signs then.

So what do you want to do with him?  Do you just want to DFa him in hopes you can trade him?  Do you want to lose him for free? Do you think that’s the best way to use your resources?

I don’t disagree that Mayo may provide more offensively but as we have seen time and time again, the jump from AAA to the majors is extremely tough on rookies. So off the bat, I expect him to slump pretty badly so now you are replacing a similar or worse bat with a much worse glove for, what? A month? No, I’m afraid Urias is the better option. Never forget that a run saved is equal to a run earned. Mayo knows what he needs to work on and what is keeping him down in AAA. His defense will improve.

50 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Right now, which would do more for the major league team? Would Mayo go through an adjustment period like Gunnar, Cowser and Stowers did where they weren't very good their first time up? Will Urias come back around to his career average? Also, should we risk DFA Urias and losing him completely?

1) Mayo appears to be a better player, and would likely do more for the major league team.

2) It's entirely plausible that he goes through an adjustment period. Unless he doesn't. Or he's hot to start, then pitchers adjust and he slumps in June.

3) Yes, it's likely Urias comes back to his career averages.

4) I would be careful risking losing an asset for nothing, especially as a panic reaction to one or two games.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So what do you want to do with him?  Do you just want to DFa him in hopes you can trade him?  Do you want to lose him for free? Do you think that’s the best way to use your resources?

Urias is an average MLB player. On the free agent market he'd likely get 2/20 or 2/15 or something like that. I think it's unlikely that Elias releases an average MLB player and gets nothing out of the deal. If they're thinking about making a move I have to assume they're trying to find a trade.

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

1) Mayo appears to be a better player, and would likely do more for the major league team.

2) It's entirely plausible that he goes through an adjustment period. Unless he doesn't. Or he's hot to start, then pitchers adjust and he slumps in June.

3) Yes, it's likely Urias comes back to his career averages.

4) I would be careful risking losing an asset for nothing, especially as a panic reaction to one or two games.

Is it though? He looks like’s swinging a 50 lb. bat. He’s aging so badly, I don’t think he’ll ever sniff a .700 OPS in his career again. 

1 minute ago, dystopia said:

Is it though? He looks like’s swinging a 50 lb. bat. He’s aging so badly, I don’t think he’ll ever sniff a .700 OPS in his career again. 

He will surprise you. It’s not easy being a role player on a good club. Defense is paramount and Mayo needs to improve his before he gets a chance. Simple as that.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

He will surprise you. It’s not easy being a role player on a good club. Defense is paramount and Mayo needs to improve his before he gets a chance. Simple as that.

How bad can his defense be, honestly? Is he pulling Buckners every other play? Throwing the ball into right field? No range? 

All I hear about is how atrocious his defense is. I have to know just how bad if Urias is a better option overall. Its not like Urias is Brooks Robinson out there. 

Everyone wants to see Mayo but the first time he makes an error on a play in a late inning situation that Urias would have made, we're gonna be mad.

I would rather have Urias' defense, hitting 9th, than I would Mayo hitting 9th with bad defense.

There's no way Mayo makes this play.

https://www.mlb.com/video/jacob-young-grounds-out-third-baseman-ramon-urias-to-first-baseman-ryan-m?partnerId=web_video-playback-page_video-share

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dystopia said:

How bad can his defense be, honestly? Is he pulling Buckners every other play? Throwing the ball into right field? No range? 

All I hear about is how atrocious his defense is. I have to know just how bad if Urias is a better option overall. Its not like Urias is Brooks Robinson out there. 

He’s got eight errors in like 30 games. That’s not good man. It’s simply not good at all. Translate that to the majors and imagine how upset you’d be seeing us lose because he booted a ball. No, Hyde has shown time and time again that defense is just as important as offense. Why do you think he so sparingly uses Kjerstad?