It does not look good for T Wells

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/orioles-unsure-of-next-step-with-rodriguez-or-when-wells-will-begin-throwing

Elias: 

“His elbow was bothering him and we are still in the mode of waiting for symptoms to dissipate before we can ramp up any type of throwing, so right now he’s basically getting treatment and resting, and this isn’t something that we’ve emerged from the woods on yet and we have a timetable and in fact we’re seeking additional opinion. So I don’t have a whole lot to report, unfortunately,” Elias said.

“He’s just kind of in the mode where we’re waiting to get positive indicators such that we can start a rehab. And until we get those indicators. I don’t have much of an update. We’re keeping our fingers crossed but this is not something that we are in any way over the hump yet. He’s had elbow discomfort and we’re not at the point yet of moving into a build-up phase.”

"Seeking additional opinion" is never what you want to hear. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

More worried about Grayson.  

But agreed, doesn't look good for Wells, which is a shame.  

From that article I got the impression that Grayson is, like, totally fine. But maybe that's just me. Obviously he's of higher concern than Wells, though I'd have loved Wells for the bullpen. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

why cant they bring Vespi or Povich up for the pen?

I think eventually we could see something like that, but they are going to let the Cionel thing run its course first I guess. 

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

More worried about Grayson.  

But agreed, doesn't look good for Wells, which is a shame.  

Grayson seems fine. They are just being extra cautious with him. 

At this point, let him have the side session, make sure he’s ok and then give him a start in Bowie or Aberdeen.  Bring him back up here that last week of May.

I would guess at this point, Wells may have thrown his last pitch with the Os and even if he pitches again, we won’t see him in Baltimore until sometime in 2026.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

why cant they bring Vespi or Povich up for the pen?

We'd have to DFA one of Perez or Baumann to do that.  We're at the 1/4 pole and we haven't had to fire up the Norfolk shuttle yet.  The bullpen has the 8th best ERA in baseball.  We're just missing Bautista at the back end.  Keep an eye on if we make a move to bring back Yohan Ramirez that was just DFA'd by the Mets.  

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, vab said:

Unfortunate but it should clarify that the required bullpen help will likely have to come in a trade. 

Not necessarily.  I mean what is more valuable for our team with these daily close games... a #5/#6 SP or another set up man?  That is the question to ask with Dean Kremer, if we're healthy and everyone is performing well.  Kremer might be 97/98 out of the pen once he settles into short stints.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We'd have to DFA one of Perez or Baumann to do that.  We're at the 1/4 pole and we haven't had to fire up the Norfolk shuttle yet.  The bullpen has the 8th best ERA in baseball.  We're just missing Bautista at the back end.  Keep an eye on if we make a move to bring back Yohan Ramirez that was just DFA'd by the Mets.  

There's not really a shuttle because the O's have run out of optionable relievers.  Or at least optionable relievers that aren't core members of the bullpen.  I guess Cano and Coulombe could be optioned but that doesn't sound like a good idea.

27 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not necessarily.  I mean what is more valuable for our team with these daily close games... a #5/#6 SP or another set up man?  That is the question to ask with Dean Kremer, if we're healthy and everyone is performing well.  Kremer might be 97/98 out of the pen once he settles into short stints.  

Not a crazy idea.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Maybe but the issue with moving a current starter to the bullpen is what happens if somebody else in the rotation goes down? You can't keep bouncing Kremer or whoever might be moved to closer or set-up back and forth like that. 

29 minutes ago, vab said:

Maybe but the issue with moving a current starter to the bullpen is what happens if somebody else in the rotation goes down? You can't keep bouncing Kremer or whoever might be moved to closer or set-up back and forth like that. 

Agree, depending on need they might move Kremer to the pen in the post season.