Earning Ace reputation

41 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If the Ks and missed bats are going to trend down, those numbers won’t continue.

I don’t expect this to happen but still, have to look deeper into things imo.

That's entirely fair.  I do believe in K Rate.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's entirely fair.  I do believe in K Rate.

Agreed. His K rate in the first half of last season was 8.6 and the second half was 10.2. This season he's at 8.2 so far.

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

Agreed. His K rate in the first half of last season was 8.6 and the second half was 10.2. This season he's at 8.2 so far.

It's not awful, but it's also not stellar.  That said, he's been the best starter we have for sure.

They need to score some runs for him.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

If Corbin Burnes is an Ace, why doesn't he perform like one?

Are you serious 🧐? He’s given up 3 runs in only 2 of 9 starts. 2 runs in 3 starts, and only 1 run in 5 starts. He’s only won 3 games but could have 7-9 if he got any run support at all. His Ks are 4 short of a 9 K/9. So you could nitpick over a few Ks or length ….1 5IP start , 2 5 2/3 IP, and the rest 6 or more. But it’s hard not to say he’s been pretty special.

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Are you serious 🧐? He’s given up 3 runs in only 2 of 9 starts. 2 runs in 3 starts, and only 1 run in 5 starts. He’s only won 3 games but could have 7-9 if he got any run support at all. His Ks are 4 short of a 9 K/9. So you could nitpick over a few Ks or length ….1 5IP start , 2 5 2/3 IP, and the rest 6 or more. But it’s hard not to say he’s been pretty special.

Yes, sadly, he is serious.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

If he regularly was bowing out after 85 pitches, I probably wouldn’t consider him an ace.  That’s not his history and I doubt it will be a regular occurrence this year.  I’m definitely not holding it against him that he had a game where he got tired a bit earlier than usual.  It happens.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Well that’s interesting, because there’s not a single pitcher in MLB averaging 100 pitches per start.  The list tops out at 99.  I guess there are no aces, then.  Burnes averaged 92 the year he won the Cy Young, but I suppose he wasn’t an ace then either.   He’s never averaged 100 pitches per start.   

Pretty funny and very, very close to hypocritical....but as a lawyer you get some leeway. Our (me not included) standards for ACE has diminished over the years. 6 innings too much for a quality start, shouldn't need 5 innings for a W. An ACE should be able to give some relief to the pen. Does 5 innings do that? Yet, everyone complains of an overworked bullpen. There will come a time when there will not be official "starters", rotations will consist of teams of three each going 3 innings, about 50 pitch max and work on three days rest. It actually might save some arms. Games change and that's fine, some current terms for greatness may not be applicable.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

And on pace to throw 197 innings.  I’d sign for it in blood.  

Let’s remember too that last year, Burnes started slowly and got better as the season progressed.   So hopefully the best is yet to come.  

Fatigue at 85 pitches isn't "ACE"-like.

3 hours ago, AlbNYfan said:

Pretty funny and very, very close to hypocritical....but as a lawyer you get some leeway. Our (me not included) standards for ACE has diminished over the years. 6 innings too much for a quality start, shouldn't need 5 innings for a W. An ACE should be able to give some relief to the pen. Does 5 innings do that? Yet, everyone complains of an overworked bullpen. There will come a time when there will not be official "starters", rotations will consist of teams of three each going 3 innings, about 50 pitch max and work on three days rest. It actually might save some arms. Games change and that's fine, some current terms for greatness may not be applicable.

I don’t feel I was at all hypocritical.  Those statements are perfectly consistent to me.   

Posted (edited)

Do we really have a problem with him pulling himself early once in May?

If it's July and he's consistently failing to hit 90 pitches then it's a bit more of an issue.  But he's 14th in innings pitched right now, and he hasn't missed a turn on the bump.  I'd rather him pace himself and stay healthy, take the ball every 5th day, and finish the year with 35 starts.  I'd like for him to hit the 7th more consistently but let's see how he does over the course of the year.  We certainly can't complain about his performance to date.

Edited by Hallas

14 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Do we really have a problem with him pulling himself early once in May?

If it's July and he's consistently failing to hit 90 pitches then it's a bit more of an issue.  But he's 14th in innings pitched right now, and he hasn't missed a turn on the bump.  I'd rather him pace himself and stay healthy, take the ball every 5th day, and finish the year with 35 starts.  I'd like for him to hit the 7th more consistently but let's see how he does over the course of the year.  We certainly can't complain about his performance to date.

Having fatigue in May is a bit concerning. 

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

Having fatigue in May is a bit concerning. 

It's 1 outing.  He was forthcoming about it, which doesn't always happen, but he's certainly not the only one to have an abbreviated start recently.  Ranger Suarez was pulled after 5 and 83 pitches last start, and he's looking like a Cy Young candidate.

If he keeps pulling himself like Kirby is prone to doing, then maybe we revisit this, but right now I can't believe anyone would be concerned about this considering his prior 5 starts he went 98, 98, 97, 95, and 95 pitches.

• Upvote 1