Trade options for the outfield

The thought of adding someone like Hicks just because he is RH and taking opportunities away from guys like Stowers and Kjersatd is just so shortsighted.  If you really want a RH bat to hit against a LH starter then call up Mayo make him the DH against lefties and stop catching McCann every time they have a lefty starter.  This team absolutely does not need to waste any resources or block deserving players to get a position player.

16 hours ago, Yossarian said:

You've got Nick Maton in Norfolk hitting .347 with a .975 OPS.   He also has MLB experience at all 3 OF positions.  Between him and the rest of the MiLB outfielders, why do you need to go sign another one.?  Maton is 27 years old. 

The main issue I have with Maton is that he's not very good.  His .666 MLB OPS tracks with his .747 minor league OPS. And he's played a grand total of 37 games in the outfield (28 starts) in his pro career.

14 games in Norfolk add almost nothing to our knowledge of his ability.

16 hours ago, Yossarian said:

You've got Nick Maton in Norfolk hitting .347 with a .975 OPS.   He also has MLB experience at all 3 OF positions.  Between him and the rest of the MiLB outfielders, why do you need to go sign another one.?  Maton is 27 years old. 

I think Norfolk statistics have lost all credibility for me.  Maton .975, Daniel Johnson .898, Billy Cook .867.   Bring them all up!

Just now, Frobby said:

I think Norfolk statistics have lost all credibility for me.  Maton .975, Daniel Johnson .898, Billy Cook .867.   Bring them all up!

I have to agree. I just don't really know what to believe anymore at Norfolk. 

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

.834 team OPS and they're 20-22. That tells me that a run there is worth about as much as an Italian Lira. The whole IL is scoring 5.2 runs/game, or more than you see in a typical Rockies game. 1936 was the last time the Majors scored 5.2 runs/game. They're scoring more than MLB did in 2000, when 19 different players had a 1.000 OPS.

When I think of Buffalo I think of a grey, damp, chilly place where it's kind of questionable to play baseball at all. The Buffalo Bisons are scoring 6.3 runs/game, and allowing 5.3. It's like pre-humidor Coors. So when you see Mike Kingery hitting .350, remember he's still Mike Kingery.

I used to say a Norfolk player would see only 50 points or so shaved off his OPS upon promotion, as Harbor Park was a terrible place to hit and OPACY pretty good. But now I'd probably start by knocking off 200 points and watching how that goes.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Matty2D said:

Why don't we just play Mateo in CF vs. a lefty? He is a natural fielder and great athlete. He might not be Mullins out there but I think he would be close enough and provides a lot more at the plate then Mullins does vs. a left hander.

I would like to see that tried.  He played a very few games in the outfield and didn't seem to embarass himself.  Does not seem to be considered by Elias and company.