My biggest question entering the season

47 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Norby now has 896 at bats at Norfolk with an .869 OPS. It's time to call Norby up and give him some at bats.

Right. I like Urias and believe he can be an asset on the right team... that's just not Baltimore at this point. Norby for Urias makes sense.

Also Norby for Hays makes sense. Hays looks like he's as close to done as a player as any 28 year old can look. 

It's hard to complain too much considering the record and the amount of injuries, but time is ticking on the core that really makes the machine go.

7 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

I agree that I would rather not do that as well. And I’m sure Elias feels the same. But there’s certainly a hole against LHP’s in the outfield right now, since Mullins can’t hit them, Hays has been awful, and Cowser has an 81 wRC+ against LHP’s. Even against RHP’s, Hays has again been awful, Mullins has been bad as well, and Santander hasn’t hit well from the left side.

Canha would be a rental and Ward would give them some insurance next year if they lose Santander/Hays and Mullins continues struggling. Canha has reverse splits but they are both comfortably above league average at the plate in their careers against both RHP’s and LHP’s.

That hole may not exist if they let Kjerstad and Stowers hit vs lefties, something they have done well in the minors.

1 minute ago, maybenxtyr said:

Right. I like Urias and believe he can be an asset on the right team... that's just not Baltimore at this point. Norby for Urias makes sense.

Also Norby for Hays makes sense. Hays looks like he's as close to done as a player as any 28 year old can look. 

It's hard to complain too much considering the record and the amount of injuries, but time is ticking on the core that really makes the machine go.

I mean Hays does have an option left, but I think he has enough service time to refuse it. With the way Hays is hitting sending him down to Norfolk for a month to reset his swing and mechanics wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I don't how much longer Hays can keep getting regular at bats without showing any signs of life. This team is trying to win now and they have other qualified players who can get at bats when someone like Hays is doing nothing.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Making those decisions is Mike’s job. He knew he needed to prepare for them.

He’s a smart guy, I cannot understand why he has done so little to address these problems, and why he is unwilling to free Urias’ roster spot at least.

It would be better for Urias too. He gets his money either way and becomes a starter on the Rockies or White Sox.

Regardless of any other roster debate that might take place, this is a no-brainer

Just now, Sports Guy said:

That hole may not exist if they let Kjerstad and Stowers hit vs lefties, something they have done well in the minors.

Very true. Just based off what they’ve shown I’m not sure they will let that happen though. I think they easily could be fine with the OF/internal options, but it wouldn’t hurt adding another above average bat considering how Mullins and Hays have hit the last year and how Santander has hit this year.

Ward’s statcast numbers are also elite and his projections peg him as a 3 WAR guy. He’d pretty much be a Santander upgrade for next year and would worst case give you 2 legitimate starters going forward in Cowser/Ward, regardless of what happens with the young guys and Hays/Mullins. 

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Because the most valuable players on the team haven't even reached arbitration yet. It makes perfect sense.

I always get into trouble when I explain what other folks are saying, but I think his point is that we haven’t gone out and  bought any expensive free agents which might have solved some of our problems.

That’s a valid question, and. It worth a downvote.but as far as I’m concerned, buying an expensive free agent is a very bad idea.

just think where we’d be if we’d signed Hader! The screams would be even louder!

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why?

According to the MLB Market Score the Orioles are in the 23rd market.

If they are the 23rd market why should they be ~15 in payroll?

This is indeed getting off-topic, but I am unclear as to why being in the 23rd market means we should have the ~23rd payroll?

I’m all in favor of having as low a payroll as possible, and I hate the idea of buying expensive free agents. I still have nightmares about Wade Miley.

But I don’t see how the market size should determine our payroll. I’m very happy having the lowest payroll if we have a good team.

Back on the topic of the thread…the initial answer for Mullins and Santander is less playing time and more for Stowers, which they’re already doing. If Mullins and Stowers never really get going and Stowers also doesn’t capitalize, then Stowers goes back to AAA and that becomes more or less a full time role available for Kjerstad.

Hays needs to hit LHP in a part time role. If he does that maybe he gets more playing time vs RHP, but he hasn’t even done that yet. His Statcast numbers are bad but still much better than his actual results so I haven’t completely given up on him yet, but once the Orioles do then he should be optioned for Norby to get a shot against LHP in LF.

Urias has been horrible but he also isn’t playing while Mateo has been an every day player, so just being able to be a good defensive player off the bench is sufficient for that 4th infielder roster spot for now. I don’t think they trust Norby at 2B so it doesn’t make sense to have him replace Urias right now when Hays is still playing LF vs LHP. If (when) Mateo falters Urias may get a shot at more playing time, but if Urias is still struggling and Mayo or Holliday are deemed ready, then Urias gets DFAd. But right now they can continue to give Mateo some rope and that’s also allowing Urias to hang on.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

This is indeed getting off-topic, but I am unclear as to why being in the 23rd market means we should have the ~23rd payroll?

I’m all in favor of having as low a payroll as possible, and I hate the idea of buying expensive free agents. I still have nightmares about Wade Miley.

But I don’t see how the market size should determine our payroll. I’m very happy having the lowest payroll if we have a good team.

The issue with having the lowest/lower payroll (historically speaking) is those teams do no typically win World Series. In the last 10 years only 3 teams have appeared in a World Series who have not had a top half payroll (KC Royals, TB Rays [pandemic shortened season], HOU in '18 [beginning of their run]). And only 2 have won a title (KC and HOU). 

But nearly as important IMO is the cost of trying to operate on the cheap continuously and that is the loss of great/face of the franchise/HOF caliber. I don't see how the Orioles are going to allow Adley and Gunnar to walk in back to back seasons and it not have a tremendous negative impact on the fanbase. Most of the shirts at the stadium are #2 and #35. Unless you bring in other superstar type players/faces of the franchise AND win at a high level (not just regular season but in playoffs) you are going to be damaging your brand and the potential value of the franchise as less people/fans in the market are going to be engaged (i.e. willing to spend money on the team). And that will trickle out to suit, corporate, and ad sales.

21 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I mean Hays does have an option left, but I think he has enough service time to refuse it. With the way Hays is hitting sending him down to Norfolk for a month to reset his swing and mechanics wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I don't how much longer Hays can keep getting regular at bats without showing any signs of life. This team is trying to win now and they have other qualified players who can get at bats when someone like Hays is doing nothing.

I think Elias needs to have a sit down with Hays.  If Hays keeps hitting like he has, his career is going to be over.  Hays has had some good years for the O's but they are trying to win now.  Elias should ask Hays to go to the minors for 2 weeks to a month to get his hitting back on track.  Hays should know his career is going to be over if he doesn't start hitting at least some.  Hays had 4 years and 78 days of service time at the beginning of the year so the O's can option Hays to the minors, but to not have the player on board when he is close to 5 years is a bad look and can give players a negative impression of the organization.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

The way I see it is if you accumulate 896 at bats in AAA with an OPS of .869 the team doesn't think you're a prospect and the rest of the league isn't that excited about you either.

That’s possible but it’s also possible Mike is asking too much for him and other teams, aware of our gaggle of good guys, are trying to take advantage of the situation by offering less.

2 hours ago, Phil Beckett said:

I’m still wondering why we have one of the leagues lowest payrolls.

Doesn’t make sense.

It isn't fair to the new ownership to blame the low payroll on them.  They have only been in charge for what.....2 months?

PA never spent money on vets the last few years and they have a bunch of young guys who don't need to be paid right now.

Give it a year or 2 and if nothing changes than I think it is fair to complain.