The 2024 Trade Deadline

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

I know Kjerstad is our fourth rated prospect. 

I wouldn’t be so dismissive about resigning Santander. He certainly will be affordable and it won’t need to be a super longterm contract.  And most of all, he produces consistently.

We won't know what is affordable until we get an idea what the new ownership will be willing to pay.

He wouldn't be affordable under John.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We won't know what is affordable until we get an idea what the new ownership will be willing to pay.

He wouldn't be affordable under John.

John didn’t have nearly the capital/cash that the new ownership group does. Nor did he have the will/interest in winning.

I get it that you want to guard against expectations. And rightfully so.

But I am extremely confident that the 30-50 million dollar contract that Santander will likely land is VERY AFFORDABLE for the multibillionaire ownership group.

Just now, Bemorewins said:

John didn’t have nearly the capital/cash that the new ownership group does. Nor did he have the will/interest in winning.

I get it that you want to guard against expectations. And rightfully so.

But I am extremely confident that the 30-50 million dollar contract that Santander will likely land is VERY AFFORDABLE for the multibillionaire ownership group.

Cool.

I'll hold off until I see it.

3 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

LOL 😆 Yes I have waited all my life and attended hundreds of games. (Maybe a thousand by this point?)

Yes I want to attend a World Series game at Camden Yards. I have been at 4 out of the 5 Ravens AFC championship games. Can I get one for the O’s? lol

It is likely never going to be this good again in my lifetime. So no, I am not interested in just having a solid winning team who never crosses the championship threshold. The banners are forever! 

When I went to HOU last year and saw all their recent banners in the stadium, I did get a little jealous..lol But I said to myself, that will be us one day. That is my hope as a longtime suffering fan.

My view of it is the playoffs are such a crapshoot, I’d rather have as many good shots at it as possible. Also I really enjoy the summers of elite baseball we’ve seen the last two years. Just keep this going. 

6 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

How do other teams have ANY leverage? It’s not like Elias is forced to deal with them. If he was only dealing with one yea they would have leverage because the Orioles have a need on the roster. But because there are MULTIPLE with MULTIPLE players he can move on from any team and they will get nothing from us. Those other teams are incentivized to move their players JUST AS MUCH as we are incentivized to add.

NOBODY is getting Westburg (or even asking for him at this point) or ANY OTHER MAINSTAY Major Leaguer of the roster. That’s not how the trade deadline works.

As I mentioned nobody is going to the Yankees and saying give us Gil, Soto, Judge, Rodon, etc. Nobody is asking the Dodgers for Betts, Freeman, Ohtani, etc.

Teams who are rebuilding/selling are asking for prospects. Oakland and the Chicago White Sox are not one player or even one year away. Guys who are already established now (even young ones like Jordan Westburg) do nothing for them in their phase of rebuilding.

How many pitchers do you think will be available that are also worth having?  How many other teams will also be after them?  There will be serious competition for the handful of players the Orioles have any use for and there's no indication that there's anything like a buyer's market out there.

While it's technically true that Elias doesn't have to do anything, should the team continue to play at the current level and he decides to do nothing so he can continue to hug prospects, then I wouldn't want to be him if the O's get booted from the postseason as ingloriously as they were last season. 

None of this means Elias has to make a dumb deal, but let's not pretend he's automatically in the driver's seat.

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

My view of it is the playoffs are such a crapshoot, I’d rather have as many good shots at it as possible. Also I really enjoy the summers of elite baseball we’ve seen the last two years. Just keep this going. 

I can appreciate where you are coming from.

But the playoffs are more than luck. It’s about top talent performing against other teams top end talent. The Astros didn’t do all that winning because of luck (cheating aside lol). The Yankees teams of the mid to late 90’s were more than lucky. 

We have the kind of talent (both on the field and in the front office) and we took the extreme tanking step in order to amass dynasty/multi-championship level run.

Just simply making the playoffs and getting eliminated early, while you continue to be cheap and overly cautious (if that is what was to happen) will get old after awhile. There is a reason that the Rays and Guardians don’t have a significant fanbase/marketplace engagement for a reason (beyond being a small market). STL is a small market and the Padres were until recently, when their ownership changed and decided to spend to engage the marketplace and grow fan interest.

17 minutes ago, 24fps said:

How many pitchers do you think will be available that are also worth having?  How many other teams will also be after them?  There will be serious competition for the handful of players the Orioles have any use for and there's no indication that there's anything like a buyer's market out there.

While it's technically true that Elias doesn't have to do anything, should the team continue to play at the current level and he decides to do nothing so he can continue to hug prospects, then I wouldn't want to be him if the O's get booted from the postseason as ingloriously as they were last season. 

None of this means Elias has to make a dumb deal, but let's not pretend he's automatically in the driver's seat.

Just what do you see the backlash being on Elias if the Orioles win over 100 games and lose in the first round?

Edited by RZNJ

1 hour ago, Orioles4Life21 said:

Give me Lu Bob and Garret Crochet 

I don’t know who “Lu Bob” is. I think his name is Luis Robert. But that sounds like a great package.

What do you think the cost would be?

Also, what would be the plan to improve the back end of the bullpen? We saw from Friday night a preview of what will probably happen if we get into a bullpen battle with a team with a very good pen in October.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Just what do you see the backlash being on Elias if the Orioles win over 100 games and lose in the first round?

Increased payroll, declining win total and continued playoff failure?

Catastrophic.

No I'm not being serious.

Edited by Can_of_corn

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Just what do you see the backlash being on Elias if the Orioles win over 100 games in lose in the first round?

If he does a creditable job of bringing in reinforcements where needed, then I think he gets a standing ovation on opening day 2025.  My point was that he now has a lot of pressure to start acting like the GM of a perennial contender, not a rebuilding team.  That means greater risks with the potential for greater losses if things don't work out.  For example, I wouldn't like losing Kjerstad but if he brings back a player the O's need to go for it in 2024, I won't be whining about it afterward if things go south.  I think the fanbase will mostly agree, but if the appearance is that Elias didn't hold up his end while the players did, then nobody will be happy and that would include me.