The 2024 Trade Deadline

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

He'd be top of the list if I could predict that he'd be healthy.

I'm worried about the injuries, tbh. He started the season late, injured, wasn't great, injured, now has been better. But Snell is historically a second half pitcher. And it's dramatically different first half vs. second half.

If he is healthy , and if he’s available , can’t hurt to inquire about him 

The Pirates failing to maximize Gerrit Cole's talent is such an interesting case how Clubs and Players interact to create the on field performance it makes me covet Casey Mize as a hybrid between the straight rental Flaherty and the super expensive Skubal.

However awkward personalities were last year, due diligence for Elias includes studying Flaherty.     Burnes' presence on the 2024 roster changes the dynamic if any of the issue last year was Flaherty's career accomplishments being ahead of Bradish/Grayson giving him any impetuous sense he was "the man".

25 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

We had Means and he got hurt. And Irvin sucked.

I get what you are saying though. Skubal would be the ideal fit as a lefty.

We tried with Irvin. I can see the thinking there. Get a #4/5 SP and maybe he could’ve been made better from our ballpark. It didn’t work. That’s why I’m keeping Povich and DeLeon if we can. 

Fedde or Tyler Anderson/Kikuchi makes the most sense. Are we sure Texas and SF even sell?  We’ll have to see. 

If we could get Fedde and somehow keep the big 3, Cowser, Kjerstad, and Povich, then it’s a big W for Elias. I don’t know if that’s possible in this market. 

Maybe EBJ, McDermott, Norby, and Stowers. 

It’s not crazy for SF to think that they can catch the Mets and Cardinals for WC spots. They’re only 3 GB and Snell is back to being Snell. 

They get to throw Webb, Snell, and Hicks. You can make up 3 GB fast. 

Same thing with Texas. They’re only 5 GB of HOU and SEA. It’s better to them, with their current team to try and catch fire, than what they would get back in prospects. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

37 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I guess this is along the lines of the delusional Detroit fans who believe 1 Skubal equals 2 top 15 prospects.

I just don’t see it. That kind of return is unheard of for that kind of player with his resume and injury history. 

All of who the player has been has to be factored into a deal.

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We tried with Irvin. I can see the thinking there. Get a #4/5 SP and maybe he could’ve been made better from our ballpark. It didn’t work. That’s why I’m keeping Povich and DeLeon if we can. 

Fedde or Tyler Anderson/Kikuchi makes the most sense. Are we sure Texas and SF even sell?  We’ll have to see. 

If we could get Fedde and somehow keep the big 3, Cowser, Kjerstad, and Povich, then it’s a big W for Elias. I don’t know if that’s possible in this market. 

Maybe EBJ, McDermott, Norby, and Stowers. 

I can only speak for me and not “we”. But I am not sure of anything other than the deadline will be on July 30th and whatever happens many posters will not be happy.

• Upvote 2

Nick Pollack's writeup on Gausman yesterday had the detail his 30 splitters against the Tigers got just 4 whiffs and 17% CSW.

Somebody chime in if I am goofing up the concepts but I think that is easy enough algebra math to calculate:

17% Called Strikes + Whiffs out of 30 pitches is 5.

5 CSW take away the 4 whiffs where the batters chased leaves 1.

29 of 30 splitters Gausman threw missed the zone.

I can get why Austin Hays was exultant about laying off the Gausman splitter that night the Orioles beat him up.    If your offensive strategists give you a key, he's a one pitch pitcher and his fastball velo has ticked below 94 this season.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I guess this is along the lines of the delusional Detroit fans who believe 1 Skubal equals 2 top 15 prospects.

I just don’t see it. That kind of return is unheard of for that kind of player with his resume and injury history. 

All of who the player has been has to be factored into a deal.

Yeah multiple potential all star position players also includes Kjerstad and you could potentially argue Norby and Stowers with their offensive profiles/MILB performance. All 5 of the 3 above and Mayo/Holliday are close to the majors/MLB ready, and probably upgrades on the Tigers current roster.

I doubt it’s 2 of Holliday/Mayo/Basallo (and it shouldn’t be) but do you do one of those 3 and Norby or  Stowe’s + other pieces? Or Kjerstad with both Norby and Stowers + other pieces? It will be interesting to see what happens here but based off the Skubal smoke, it would be surprising if they don’t come away with at least a legit Kremer upgrade, even if they don’t land Skubal. 

Edited by LGOrioles

1 minute ago, LGOrioles said:

Yeah multiple potential all star position players also includes Kjerstad and you could potentially argue Norby and Stowers with their offensive profiles/MILB performance. All 5 of the 3 above and Mayo/Holliday are close to the majors/MLB ready, and probably current upgrade on the Tigers roster.

I doubt it’s 2 of Holliday/Mayo/Basallo (and it shouldn’t be) but do you do one of those 3 and Norby or Stowers? Or Kjerstad with both Norby and Stowers along with other pieces? It will be interesting to see what happens here but based off the Skubal smoke, it would be surprising if they don’t come away with at least a legit Kremer upgrade, even if they don’t land Skubal. 

I don’t think there is a plausible argument to be made that Stowers in “a future all-star” when he hasn’t even gotten regular ABs at age 26. He will be 27 next year. I’m not sure where there is a whole lot of appeal in a 27 year old “young player”. He’s not on any prospect list that I can find.

But I agree, I wouldn’t give up 2 top 15 prospects for a pitcher with Skubal’s resume. I would love to have him for a fair price though (even if it meant Holliday who I love as a prospect).

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Did I say that? But he now has a seasons worth of ABs and he’s a .215 hitter

He’s a very, very, talented two way player.  He’s going to be very good.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don’t think there is a plausible argument to be made that Stowers in “a future all-star” when he hasn’t even gotten regular ABs at age 26. He will be 27 next year. I’m not sure where there is a whole lot of appeal in a 27 year old “young player”. He’s not on any prospect list that I can find.

But I agree, I wouldn’t give up 2 top 15 prospects for a pitcher with Skubal’s resume. I would love to have him for a fair price though (even if it meant Holliday who I love as a prospect).

Agree that calling Stowers and Norby future all stars is pushing it. But, if you look at the Tigers roster right now with Carpenter hurt, you could make an argument that Norby would be their best IF’er besides their catchers, and Stowers would be their best OF’er besides Greene. Their position player group is awful.

Of course DET is going to say they want multiple prospect position players that are future All Stars, but would they really pass up a top 5 or 10 prospect, along with 2 other guys who might not be slam dunk future All Stars, but are both big league ready, and are better than most other options they have right now? 

Edited by LGOrioles