The 2024 Trade Deadline

If DR is putting big(ger) time money into play, the ramifications of that are huge. Not only in the ability to take on salary now, but it would also indicate that we might be a player in FA moving forward. If we are, that makes it a little easier to let go of a top prospect or two, since we can theoretically backfill on the market. 

Going to be a fascinating next 30 hours or so. Two games today and a lot of rumors to follow. Definitely not boring!

If we get another SP, does that lessen the need for a reliever?

Burnes, Grayson, Eflin, SP, Kremer

RH - Kimbrel, Cano, Dominguez, Webb, Suarez

LH - Akin, Perez, Irvin

Obviously, if we could upgrade Irvin to a legit set up man, then that would be ideal.  

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If we get another SP, does that lessen the need for a reliever?

Burnes, Grayson, Eflin, SP, Kremer

RH - Kimbrel, Cano, Dominguez, Webb, Suarez

LH - Akin, Perez, Irvin

Obviously, if we could upgrade Irvin to a legit set up man, then that would be ideal.  

We don't have a legit closer on the roster, we need one in order to go deep in the playoffs. Kimbrel isn't going to cut it. 

Scott, Fairbanks, Bednar and maybe Finnegan and Erceg are the only available/potentially available RPs that I think could unseat Kimbrel as closer. And good chance they come in as setup first and only get the closer gig if (/when) Kimbrel falters again.

Given that all the rumors are that the Orioles are looking for a lefty RP, I think it’s Scott or bust. Good chance they add a different lefty but it will still be Kimbrel closing. I will be shocked if the Orioles are willing to pay the “RP with team control” prices for the rest of that group (particularly Finnegan, who has a plus arm but whose peripherals are not good). The only realistic other deal is Mountcastle for Bednar, which makes sense and would be awesome. 

With the Yankees and every other contender going for Scott, I’m just trying to emotionally prepare myself for some Kimbrel save opportunity heart attacks in October. I still think Kimbrel is a solid reliever but man is he tough to watch when his command goes and things are unraveling for him. 

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Could be an OF upgrade over Pache. Mayo would be both/and additional RHB. 

I honestly don't think Pache is going anywhere. His inclusion in the deal was not arbitrary, IMO. The FO sees some use for him, potentially as a bench weapon in the playoffs.

I'm sure must of us recall how lethal Jarrod Dyson was for the Royals in 2014 as a late inning defensive sub in CF. He single-handedly took a bunch of runs away from us in that series.

24 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Scott, Fairbanks, Bednar and maybe Finnegan and Erceg are the only available/potentially available RPs that I think could unseat Kimbrel as closer. And good chance they come in as setup first and only get the closer gig if (/when) Kimbrel falters again.

Given that all the rumors are that the Orioles are looking for a lefty RP, I think it’s Scott or bust. Good chance they add a different lefty but it will still be Kimbrel closing. I will be shocked if the Orioles are willing to pay the “RP with team control” prices for the rest of that group (particularly Finnegan, who has a plus arm but whose peripherals are not good). The only realistic other deal is Mountcastle for Bednar, which makes sense and would be awesome. 

With the Yankees and every other contender going for Scott, I’m just trying to emotionally prepare myself for some Kimbrel save opportunity heart attacks in October. I still think Kimbrel is a solid reliever but man is he tough to watch when his command goes and things are unraveling for him. 

I agree--Scott kills two birds with one stone.  Either they get Scott or they get someone like Sam Moll and live with Kimbrell.  Although I think Cano acquitted himself very well yesterday and could be an emergency closer if Bad Kimbrell emerges during the playoffs.  

12 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

"Taking on money" ... the only guy I can think of is Robert Jr. who is making around $8mil next year. Does anyone else who is available fit the description? 

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I honestly don't think Pache is going anywhere. His inclusion in the deal was not arbitrary, IMO. The FO sees some use for him, potentially as a bench weapon in the playoffs.

I'm sure must of us recall how lethal Jarrod Dyson was for the Royals in 2014 as a late inning defensive sub in CF. He single-handedly took a bunch of runs away from us in that series.

Yeah, especially if Mateo doesn't come back this year. Still, I don't see any other way to make sense of the "Orioles interested in RHB's" rumors, and there seems to be enough smoke there that it may be true.