The 2024 Trade Deadline

37 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If we get another SP, does that lessen the need for a reliever?

Burnes, Grayson, Eflin, SP, Kremer

RH - Kimbrel, Cano, Dominguez, Webb, Suarez

LH - Akin, Perez, Irvin

Obviously, if we could upgrade Irvin to a legit set up man, then that would be ideal.  

No it does not. Of those relievers which do you trust to come into postseason games and lock things down? You need like 3 of those to be successful in October.

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

"Taking on money" ... the only guy I can think of is Robert Jr. who is making around $8mil next year. Does anyone else who is available fit the description? 

Now, I have no idea if this is true or not, but I've seen it mentioned more than once and I wouldn't put it past the incredibly cheap Jerry Reinsdorf. There was the mention that the White Sox may try to attach Benintendi to either Robert or Crochet. It's obviously a horrible move from a baseball standpoint, but miserly owners gonna miser.

Benintendi's remaining contract is 

'24 remainder of his 16.5M

'25 16.5M

'26 16.5M

'27 14.5M 

7 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I honestly don't think Pache is going anywhere. His inclusion in the deal was not arbitrary, IMO. The FO sees some use for him, potentially as a bench weapon in the playoffs.

I'm sure must of us recall how lethal Jarrod Dyson was for the Royals in 2014 as a late inning defensive sub in CF. He single-handedly took a bunch of runs away from us in that series.

Pache does not have Dyson's speed or base running ability. Pache has FOUR career stolen bases. Not exactly a threat on the base paths or as a pinch runner.

If the CWS trade Crochet, Fedde, Kopech, Robert, and Pham, they could be in the running for worst record of all time.  Just funny, that we heard so much about this when we "tanked".  Haven't heard much this season even though they are 27-81.  

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Pache does not have Dyson's speed or base running ability. Pache has FOUR career stolen bases. Not exactly a threat on the base paths or as a pinch runner.

He looked pretty good going 1st to 3rd the other day. His value is defense, but he can run. Seems like he's probably not confident stealing. I believe he's had some knee surgeries. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

"Taking on money" ... the only guy I can think of is Robert Jr. who is making around $8mil next year. Does anyone else who is available fit the description? 

Filter FG stats by:

OF, min PAs to whatever you want as a sample size, RHH, vs. LHP

Then search through for selling teams and capable of playing CF (maybe sprint speed, range factor, OAA...).

That's a good starting point for a speculative shopping list. 

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If the CWS trade Crochet, Fedde, Kopech, Robert, and Pham, they could be in the running for worst record of all time.  Just funny, that we heard so much about this when we "tanked".  Haven't heard much this season even though they are 27-81.  

They've lost 14 in a row, the 2nd time they've done it this season.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

He looked pretty good going 1st to 3rd the other day. His value is defense, but he can run. Seems like he's probably not confident stealing. I believe he's had some knee surgeries. 

He can run, but not steal. What is the value in that? Also, we have one of the best defensive CF already, when are we ever using a defensive replacement for Mullins or Cowser for that matter?

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think he ends up being DFA’d possibly before the deadline is over.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I agree--Scott kills two birds with one stone.  Either they get Scott or they get someone like Sam Moll and live with Kimbrell.  Although I think Cano acquitted himself very well yesterday and could be an emergency closer if Bad Kimbrell emerges during the playoffs.  

Roch mentioned in his blog today that Cano has given up 19 earned runs in 32 innings in the 9th inning. His track record shows that he'd be a bad closer, if anything. 

28 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

If Texas is selling go get playoff warrior Eovaldi!

TEX is exciting but I don't want to overread into Chris Young basically relegating Michael Lorenzen to a weaker team when Eovaldi/Scherzer are in good form and deGrom is throwing bullpens.     Jacob deGrom the extreme case of not wasting bullets - would they make him throw even 1 minor league game?     Walter Pennington could get redealt in an informal 3 team trade.

MLB Network crawl just ran a rumor Yankees are "interested" in trading Nestor Cortes for Tommy Edman, as Cashman perhaps doubles down on the Jordan Montgomery for Harrison Bader structure.

It also scrolled the inevitable Dodgers Yusei Kikuchi interest.

Edited by Just Regular

8 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Roch mentioned in his blog today that Cano has given up 19 earned runs in 32 innings in the 9th inning. His track record shows that he'd be a bad closer, if anything. 

Cano is at his best when he starts a fresh 7th or 8th inning

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If we get another SP, does that lessen the need for a reliever?

Burnes, Grayson, Eflin, SP, Kremer

RH - Kimbrel, Cano, Dominguez, Webb, Suarez

LH - Akin, Perez, Irvin

Obviously, if we could upgrade Irvin to a legit set up man, then that would be ideal.  

I think if we get a SP better than Eflin, it opens the question of whether Eflin would eventually be deployed in relief like on the 2022 Phillies.