The 2024 Trade Deadline

Just now, Bemorewins said:

Barely. I meant making moves that move the needle.

Eflin + Dominguez is clearly a huge improvement over 2023 Flaherty and Fuji.

I don't know how anyone can say that acquiring Elflin isn't "moving the needle" given the pitcher he's replacing.

And if Dominguez pitches in the playoffs the way he's done in the past, he's light years more valuable than Fuji.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

There are multiple options even if some are unlikely to be made available.

Skubal 

Crochet

Snell

Bassitt

Eovaldi

Detmers

Blackburn

Eovaldi

Heaney

Trevor Williams

Jon Gray

Jesus Luzardo

Braxton Garrett

A Mariners pitcher

I’d take the rangers pitchers off that list. Snell too. Luzardo is on the IL. Bassit is interesting, but do you see what Kikuchi just cost?  They would certainly want a lot. Crochet and Skubal are longhots and would require one of the big 3. 

We can agree to disagree. Respectfully, but I think it’s looking like Anderson and Flaherty are all that is left. 

I would not be mad if we traded Holliday for Skubal. I just don’t know if Elias pulls that trigger. 

28 minutes ago, bluedog said:

Feels like Elias is going to grab Snell.

Thats what I'm thinking.  Giants have very little leverage.  They either don't get him next year or pay him a ton not to play.  They won't even get a QO.  They should get just about anything they possibly can for him.  We should have something they desire and be able to beat other offers. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’d take the rangers pitchers off that list. Snell too. Luzardo is on the IL. Bassit is interesting, but do you see what Kikuchi just cost?  They would certainly want a lot. Crochet and Skubal are longhots and would require one of the big 3. 

We can agree to disagree. Respectfully, but I think it’s looking like Anderson and Flaherty are all that is left. 

I would not be mad if we traded Holliday for Skubal. I just don’t know if Elias pulls that trigger. 

I would trade Holliday for Skubal and I wouldn't think twice about doing it. Jackson is way overrated.

24 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Insane return for Kikuchi. Kikuchi is arguably Cole Irvin equivalent and we got 4 years of Irvin for Hernaiz. Toronto gets a guy who is arguably better than Kikuchi right now plus Loperfido and an infielder batting .300 in AAA.

Major League Leaderboards - 2024 - Pitching | FanGraphs Baseball

I think HOU has a plan for him. I won't be surprised if he finishes very strong. 

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, O-The-Memories said:

I think Tanner Scott costs a ton, and I don't think he will be worth it. He is too risky for the postseason with his control issues. I don't want to give up too much for a non-closer, and Seranthony Dominguez could end up being nearly as good for a much lower cost. 

I'd prefer we get a decent starter. The playoffs aren't certain, and we really do need guys for next year as well. 

You must have slept through the last 1.6 seasons.  

1 hour ago, 1fingerwillie said:

I find it hard to believe that Getz would accept this without first seeing if other teams would better the offer. 

You're underestimating how bad of a GM Chris Getz is. Just because there are only 30 of these jobs available doesn’t mean each GM is competent at their position.

Like any profession, the sports world is filled with idiots. In no way should a pure mediocre rental like Kikuchi land a much better haul than Fedde.

55 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Povich could go in a trade. He shouldn’t start for us again this season, and how can we run him out there next year?  So why waste whatever value us has as a SP?  Sell him as that. Maybe Povich for Tyler Anderson ain’t so bad. 

Yes it is.  It awful you don’t give up on a guy with 6 years of control for a number 5 starter.  

10 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Yes it is.  It awful you don’t give up on a guy with 6 years of control for a number 5 starter.  

Anderson was an All Star in 2022 and 2024.  If voting were held today he’d be top 10 in CYA voting in the AL.  

They clearly need a closer. Even the good version of Kimbrel couldn’t be trusted in 1 run save situations. No way you can rely on him against good teams down the stretch or in the playoffs. Every base runner he allows is an automatic double too.