The 2024 Trade Deadline

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Would the Os want to pay Tyler Anderson 13M next year?

I don't think so.   His K and FIP numbers are not encouraging.   I suppose for 13M, you get what you get.   Would he be better than someone else they could add via FA next year?   I don't see him as a guy I'd want starting a playoff game.

I'd rather take a chance on Detmers, like you suggested, as a bullpen piece, although that kind of scares me too as he's always been a starter.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or it was a move by Boras and Snell to give him a poison pill to make him harder to trade.

Deferred money and no “no trade” clause.   Doesn’t sound like it was Boras’ idea.  More like a concession.

45 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Orioles news in the Passan article:

Teams trying to thread the needle

Baltimore Orioles: Adding and subtracting -- with a chance to do something historic. You probably didn't expect to see the team that presently owns the best record in the AL here. The Orioles aren't in the previous tiers because their organizational approach and variety of discussions don't align with such a designation. Yes, Baltimore wants to complement its talented roster with impact players, and, yes, the Orioles, more than any team, have the young, controllable, position-playing depth to do so. They could get Crochet and Robert if they desired. They're more patience than blockbuster, though, and they land here due to their willingness to discuss moving veteran first baseman Ryan Mountcastle or center fielder Cedric Mullins. Maybe they do something big. Maybe they go small and bet on their superior talent. Maybe they make room for Coby Mayo or Jackson Holliday or both with a deal. Maybe they do all of it. The possibilities for Baltimore are endless.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/40617439/2024-mlb-trade-deadline-preview-passan-stars-teams-deal-garrett-crochet-luis-robert-yankees-dodgers-phillies

This makes me a bit nervous. Knowing that Elias is exploring so many different options makes me nervous that we’re not going to make the most of our deadline deals and maximize the value we get for the positions we need (SP and RPs)

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Deferred money and no “no trade” clause.   Doesn’t sound like it was Boras’ idea.  More like a concession.

OK, you can feel free to disagree with me.

At the end of the day the result is the same.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CTBear said:

This makes me a bit nervous. Knowing that Elias is exploring so many different options makes me nervous that we’re not going to make the most of our deadline deals and maximize the value we get for the positions we need (SP and RPs)

You’d rather he not look at every option before deciding what he wants to do?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

OK, you can feel free to disagree with me.

At the end of the day the result is the same.

Teams kick in money to facilitate deals all of the time.    

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Would the Os want to pay Tyler Anderson 13M next year?

Considering the lack of pitching in the organization and really no idea how the new ownership will spend, $13M seems right in the wheelhouse of what they'd be willing to spend. That would still leave a plenty of room for improvement on the FA market,  and or off season trades.

24 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Mountcastle in particular seems like the most likely to get dealt. Has never felt like the kind of skill set Elias values. Add to that not sure if he will ever be more valuable than he is right now. 

Mounty and Mullins make sense and then acquire a back up CFer that hits RH.

1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

You’d rather he not look at every option before deciding what he wants to do?

It just sounds like an unfocused approach and these deals are all time sensitive with the deadline being only a week away. Things are going to move very fast and I don’t want the FO to be scrambling to add pieces on the last day. The Rangers were far more proactive last year, began adding early and I just thought it was a much better strategy than waiting until the last minute. 

29 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I don't think so.   His K and FIP numbers are not encouraging.   I suppose for 13M, you get what you get.   Would he be better than someone else they could add via FA next year?   I don't see him as a guy I'd want starting a playoff game.

I'd rather take a chance on Detmers, like you suggested, as a bullpen piece, although that kind of scares me too as he's always been a starter.

Career low BABIP.... hard pass on this for me.

• Upvote 1

This trio of prospects atop the Orioles system is, quite simply, too good at too early an age to be traded for anything other than the highest-impact acquisition. And that’s because they can be so good so early in their careers that the net benefit of acquiring anyone for them would be lower because of the value going out, even if we’re heavily weighting deals toward contending in 2024.

Edited by Roll Tide
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Career low BABIP.... hard pass on this for me.

By a lot.  I looked at his numbers the other day and they are frightening.  His K9 has dropped significantly while his BB9 has increased.  Screams major regression on the horizon. 

Just now, emmett16 said:

By a lot.  I looked at his numbers the other day and they are frightening.  His K9 has dropped significantly while his BB9 has increased.  Screams major regression on the horizon. 

Yeah Anderson is a lot of smoke & mirrors thus far in 2024. Only real positive is his left-handedness. He's in a regression that hasn't landed on him yet. 

No thanks.