The 2024 Trade Deadline

1 hour ago, Tryptamine said:

The possible pieces available, at least in rumors around Chicago are the following. 

Hector Neris- He was straight up unmitigated garbage to start the season but has been considerably better over the last 10 or so appearances. I don't expect much.

Jameson Taillon- They don't really need to move him because his contract is reasonable, so he likely only goes if they get one solid 2025 contributor back

Cody Bellinger- His value is super hard to figure out with his opt outs. If he opts out there's value, if he opts in, there's probably none.

Mark Leiter Jr.- Absolutely nails when he isn't being pitched into the ground. 2.21 FIP, 2.26 xFIP, 2.65 xERA under control through 2027

Nico Hoerner- A bit below his career average with the bat this year, still a plus defender and extremely efficient base stealer, under contract for '25/'26 at 11.5 and 12M

Justin Steele- 3 more years of control after this year, has been a top 10 pitcher in baseball over the last 3 years, would take a huge package

Tyson Miller- Pop up reliever the Cubs got in a minor trade, I believe he still has 5 years of control left. 

More or less Jed Hoyer has basically said he isn't tearing things down, he wants pieces aiming towards making 2025+ better. So he'd be looking for either near MLB ready or MLB ready returns.

Steele isn’t going anywhere. They should dump Taillon for whatever they can get.

48 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

3 teams trades here make some sense.  Send Mounty to team X, team X sends prospects to team Y(ie a seller) and team Y sends ML pitching help to the Os. (os could also be ok with prospects but this is another way to acquire some pitching while keeping your prospects for other moves)

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Steele isn’t going anywhere. They should dump Taillon for whatever they can get.

We've mentioned him before. To me he's an easy target for us. I know not everyone is a fan. But he's a step above what we have after Burnes/GRod and we need pitchers for 2025+. He wouldn't cost anything beyond a second tier prospect package in the Beavers/Fabian/Horvath level.

25 minutes ago, G54377 said:

We've mentioned him before. To me he's an easy target for us. I know not everyone is a fan. But he's a step above what we have after Burnes/GRod and we need pitchers for 2025+. He wouldn't cost anything beyond a second tier prospect package in the Beavers/Fabian/Horvath level.

I don’t want him for free.

40 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why, so they have to spend more in FA to replace him? If Taillon was a FA after 2024 he'd get more than the 2/36 left on his contract.

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

With all you’ve seen from ME, do you really think, of all things, that he has a focus problem?  I mean what in the world would that even be based on?  The guy is as disciplined and patient as any GM in the league. That alone requires constant and continued focus in your approach. 

I don’t think there’s much sample size but last deadline was a disaster as a buyer. The year before he did really well as a seller. This is also his first deadline with new ownership. 

The more I think about it, this is just Elias posturing that he has other options than just the current teams selling which is a good way to get some leverage in a tough deadline market. I hope I’m right because I’d much rather him not be wasting time negotiating with other buyers.

13 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Why, so they have to spend more in FA to replace him? If Taillon was a FA after 2024 he'd get more than the 2/36 left on his contract.

Yes because teams are dumb not because he’s worth it.

6 minutes ago, CTBear said:

I don’t think there’s much sample size but last deadline was a disaster as a buyer. The year before he did really well as a seller. This is also his first deadline with new ownership. 

The more I think about it, this is just Elias posturing that he has other options than just the current teams selling which is a good way to get some leverage in a tough deadline market. I hope I’m right because I’d much rather him not be wasting time negotiating with other buyers.

I just don’t understand the hand wringing (not just by you) that implies that Elias doesn’t know what he’s doing - whether it’s that he doesn’t know who to negotiate with, he wants to hoard prospects, he’s not aggressive enough. 

Not to say he’s beyond reproach or criticism, but he should get more of the benefit of the doubt than he does if you ask me. There have been very few true missteps. Even last years deadline, he didn’t trade anyone away that we’ll miss - that’s hardly a ‘disaster’ just because we happened to get swept in the playoffs.  Plus no one here really knows what he’s up to anyway, so sitting around acting like he’s going to screw this up is just completely unnecessary and misguided. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I haven’t heard of those Astros guys so I’m assuming they are not established ML players. I don’t think they trade Mountie for someone who’s not going to help this year. 

They’d be clearing to create room for Mayo at 1B.

I am pretty sure neither HOU nor BAL will sell the other 2024 wins for future wins, but I think I would take Bryan Abreu for Mountcastle tonight if they pool resources to enhance both their chances.

Ibid SEA and BAL, where a Mountcastle ask might be Gregory Santos.

Treating with the AL West co-leaders evenly, maybe O'Hearn factors in.

Mountcastle for Abreu, O'Hearn for Santos, call up Mayo - everybody's happy!

Edited by Just Regular

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

3 teams trades here make some sense.  Send Mounty to team X, team X sends prospects to team Y(ie a seller) and team Y sends ML pitching help to the Os. (os could also be ok with prospects but this is another way to acquire some pitching while keeping your prospects for other moves)

This is absurd.  What team in it's right mind would send valuable prospects anywhere for Ryan Mountcastle, much less prospects valuable enough to get us an impact pitcher?  You have to see how ridiculous this sounds, right?

This is probably as absurd as my proposed trade of Mountcastle, Santander and Stowers/Norby for Kirby.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Why not trade straight with Seattle….we match up well imo. Mounty and Cedric are better than half their starting lineup.

18 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Why not trade straight with Seattle….we match up well imo. Mounty and Cedric are better than half their starting lineup.

Because no sane playoff contender trades pitching unless it's pitching prospects.