The 2024 Trade Deadline

24 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Why not trade straight with Seattle….we match up well imo. Mounty and Cedric are better than half their starting lineup.

What makes more sense for Seattle a few of their plethora of prospects for Robert? Or trade one of their starters to us for the likes of Mountcastle plus prospects?

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

This is absurd.  What team in it's right mind would send valuable prospects anywhere for Ryan Mountcastle, much less prospects valuable enough to get us an impact pitcher?  You have to see how ridiculous this sounds, right?

This is probably as absurd as my proposed trade of Mountcastle, Santander and Stowers/Norby for Kirby.  

What’s absurd is your inability to read. You really should change your screen name.

54 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Why not trade straight with Seattle….we match up well imo. Mounty and Cedric are better than half their starting lineup.

We need pitching.  If we can get Woo or Hancock from them, great. 

I just have my doubts that we can because I don’t think Mounty and/or Mullins has that type of value.

However, do they have enough value to land us some high leverage relief help?  Yea I think they do. Obviously not a guy like Miller but potentially a guy like Nardi?  Maybe Detmers and Estevez?  Players like that?  Yea I think so.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We need pitching.  If we can get Woo or Hancock from them, great. 

I just have my doubts that we can because I don’t think Mounty and/or Mullins has that type of value.

However, do they have enough value to land us some high leverage relief help?  Yea I think they do. Obviously not a guy like Miller but potentially a guy like Nardi?  Maybe Detmers and Estevez?  Players like that?  Yea I think so.

Woo is good but seems to be fragile.  Hancock as not been very good this year. 

Castillo with his big contract could be a good get in terms of not having to get too much to get him, though I don't know if the M's would make him available.  

It would be nice to get more than one pitcher from the Mariners, a starter and a reliever -- maybe try for Castillo and Woo and move Woo to the pen if necessary.  It would take more than Mounty and Mullins to do it of course, but they could start the talks.

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

I just don’t understand the hand wringing (not just by you) that implies that Elias doesn’t know what he’s doing - whether it’s that he doesn’t know who to negotiate with, he wants to hoard prospects, he’s not aggressive enough. 

Not to say he’s beyond reproach or criticism, but he should get more of the benefit of the doubt than he does if you ask me. There have been very few true missteps. Even last years deadline, he didn’t trade anyone away that we’ll miss - that’s hardly a ‘disaster’ just because we happened to get swept in the playoffs.  Plus no one here really knows what he’s up to anyway, so sitting around acting like he’s going to screw this up is just completely unnecessary and misguided. 

If you want to chalk up last deadline to having a bum owner and therefore one hand tied behind his back, then I’m fine giving him a pass. But it was still a disaster.  I’m fine giving him a pass but this deadline needs to be a win this year. 

I’m not going to pretend I know his plan and Passan is just reporting that he basically has no idea either but our plan for the next 7 days needs to be flipping prospects for big league pitchers, end of story. Trading Mullins/Mounty is risky to the clubhouse and Urias/Hays aren’t going to bring any significant return so focusing on these is a waste of time imo. Again though, I’ve come around and think it’s nothing more than Elias saying he has other options so the current sellers will lower their asking prices. 

With Mateo very likely done for the season, Elias is going to have to pivot away from Skubal/aces and pursue a #3 SP along with relievers, which is something I would want him to do anyway.

Holliday will be off the table since he's now SS depth the major league team needs for this season, and I'd be quite surprised if he's not called up tomorrow since he's the only legitimate emergency SS option after Jordan Westburg. Connor Norby also becomes even more important to the O's as infield depth as well.

Kjerstad is now Elias's biggest realistic trade chip, but I hope Elias holds onto him. Kjerstad is more valuable than any realistic #3 SP trade target, and to put Kjerstad in a trade for a Skubal type, the other team is going to want Mayo or Basallo added. That's way too much. Keep Kjerstad.

Elias should use Stowers, Mountcastle/O'Hearn, Mullins, Bradfield, Beavers, Povich, McDermott as trade chips to get as much pitching help as he can. Mateo's injury actually accelerates this team reaching its offensive ceiling, as Holliday, Mayo, and Norby are all now closer to contributing to the major league team. And I'm confident each one of those prospects are going to be considerably more valuable than Mateo and Urias were/are. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t want him for free.

That's absurd.  Taillon would immediately be our third best starter, by far.  His peripherals are not great but his FIP is still 3.79.  He averages almost 6 innings per start.  I'd rather have Fedde, but given the limited supply of available starters we can't just dismiss someone like Taillon as garbage.