The 2024 Trade Deadline

1 hour ago, orioles22 said:

All the talk is Skubal and he would be a great addition, but I'd like one of the Seattle pitchers almost as much.

Gilbert or Kirby for Mountcastle, Mullins (or whoever the Phillies send for him), Norby and Kremer.

There's a better chance of Salma Hayek accepting my marriage proposal than the Mariners accepting that offer for Gilbert or Kirby.

The Cubs couldn't capitalize on Justin Steele day plus Christian Yelich's absence and lost the rubber game of their series with Milwaukee to get to 1-2 since Jed Hoyer made comments about perhaps selling expiring contracts at least if things didn't turn around in a big way right now.

Taillon we've already been talking, and Hector Neris like Yimi Garcia has in the past been part of that legion of righty relievers with high K-bb recent Astros teams have liked.

Mayo playing both ends of a DH at 1B.  Interesting.   Of course, he made a fielding error and a throwing error in the first game.  I haven’t seen him play first much but when you have 6 errors in 15 starts that’s pretty brutal no matter how you slice it.  He needs some work there, apparently.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I don't care for Skubal. I think regression is going to happen. He's a 3.5 ERA guy. I'd prefer one of Seattle's starters. Better yet, get me solid reliable consistent bullpen arms.

regression based on what? He has great stuff and has played extremely well for a 2nd straight season. "3.5 era guy", I'm guessing you haven't watched much because no way you can see him pitch and not think he's one of the best in the game right now.  

46 minutes ago, lord baltimore said:

regression based on what? He has great stuff and has played extremely well for a 2nd straight season. "3.5 era guy", I'm guessing you haven't watched much because no way you can see him pitch and not think he's one of the best in the game right now.  

Career stats: ERA- 3.49

https://www.mlb.com/player/tarik-skubal-669373

And take notice of how many innings he pitched total per season. He's never EVER pitched 150+ innings in a season. 

He's going to regress / not be able to provide the innings we need.

I go by the numbers, not conjecture or opinion.

Elias has to be careful here.

Folks seem to believe that if we bring in a Skubal level starter we will be World Series favorites.

I'm not sure that is true. This team is playing poorly and has many holes in the bullpen and in the lineup. Offense has been horrid for a long time. Just lost a series to one of the worst teams in baseball.

Skubal alone isn't going to fix this roster. 

Just now, webbrick2010 said:

Folks seem to believe that if we bring in a Skubal level starter we will be World Series favorites.

I'm not sure that is true. This team is playing poorly and has many holes in the bullpen and in the lineup. Offense has been horrid for a long time. Just lost a series to one of the worst teams in baseball.

I agree with you. Skubal is just the flavor of the month and where fans have created a hype frenzy (I.E. like the 300 page Dylan Cease thread). Not the guy who will get the team over the hurdle.

This team needs more consistent offense. They're too up and down streaky with the bat. They also need more consistently reliable bullpen pitchers. I might be interested in Tanner Scott depending on price. Mason Miller might be too costly.

21 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I don't buy that for a second this team needs a lot more help than just Skubal. I'd rather get a starter that is solid and two really good bullpen pieces. Also the price to get Skubal is likely one of Holliday, Basallo or Mayo plus someone like Kjerstad and two additional prospects.

I'd sooner just get a veteran starting pitcher even if they're a pending free agent.  

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Career stats: ERA- 3.49

https://www.mlb.com/player/tarik-skubal-669373

And take notice of how many innings he pitched total per season. He's never EVER pitched 150+ innings in a season. 

He's going to regress / not be able to provide the innings we need.

I go by the numbers, not conjecture or opinion.

I thought you saw a flaw in his game. What you're stating now is an opinion, btw lol

The offense has been streaky and terrible in leverage/RISP situations but they’re still very good overall and you have to hope the leverage/RISP thing evens out. 

The pitching just isn’t good enough right now though. They have 2 good starters and 4 good healthy relievers. 2 of those relievers are more 6/7th innings guys at this point (Webb and Cano) but are currently more in setup roles. The other good reliever (Akin) is good in low leverage spots but not a late inning guy and then there’s Kimbrel. 

The core for a very good team is still here but they need to add 2 starters that are better than Kremer and 2 relievers, both LHH and RHH, with one of them being able to serve in a true setup role without split issues. You can’t expect to consistently win games when your 3-5 starters can’t make it through 5 innings, Perez is your backend lefty, and Webb/Cano are your high leverage righties. 

• Upvote 1