The 2024 Trade Deadline

6 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

Uh what?  Those plays the error is almost always given to the SS. 

Not lately.  Used to be.  But now scorers really expect first baseman to come up with throws in the dirt when they don't have to extend far.  In fact I read an article a couple of months ago where certain infielders are purposely throwing it in the dirt on a tough throw because they feel like they don't have to be as precise.  I thought it was odd but it is a trend I guess. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

9 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

The thing is do errors at first base really mean as much compared to other errors from other positions?   Mainly because they just don't commit many errors compared to other positions.  Even the bad first baseman.  It is just too easy of a position to play.  There is a reason why you see the fat non athletic guys playing First base in all of your softball leagues.  Because it is easy. 

IMO no.  Mainly because most errors come from not catching a bad one hop throw from the SS.   They rarely ever penalize the SS for that. 

I am not saying defense isn't important....but when it comes to defense first base is BY FAR the least important position of the field.  All of these guys can catch and field 95% of any ball coming at them.  Either thrown or hit.  The difference for the elite FB is who can catch the other 3% of balls hit or thrown at them.  And I just don't think it makes that much of a difference overall. 

I'll agree that the difference between a decent and good 1B isn't that important.

But you got to be competent out there or you can do a lot of damage.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’m quite sure the White Sox aren’t lowering their asking price

According to this article it was less.  I will try and find it.  Again not saying I agree, but it is an option and Crochet may be doing it thinking that it will make a contending club more apt to trade for him.  He isn't doing it to be bullheaded from my understanding.  Just to make him more tradable.  He wants out of Chi. 

15 minutes ago, oh-wee-ohs said:

Does anyone have a video link to that bases clearing error of Coby's at 1B? I've seen it described as a bad throw from first to third? That in and of itself seems weird. Maybe a case of third base instincts playing first? I can't imagine that would be a common blunder.

I was at the game. His throw to Servideo at second hit the runner (from first) in the back and it ricocheted into the outfield.  It was more inexperience in creating the proper throwing angle to avoid the runner vs. pure throwing inaccuracy. Servideo was then slow to react in getting ball from outfield. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Not a big fan of guys with self harm issues.

I read he put his hand down awkwardly on the trainer's table preparing to do an exercise after pitching a clean 9th. What did I miss?

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not a big fan of guys with self harm issues.

Well they are now saying that it is from lifting himself up from doing an exercise or off the trainers table.  Maybe a pushup? 

It's possible.

I fractured my thumb near the thumb joint 2 months ago just hammering.  Not even hitting my thumb.  Just the vibration from it.

Who knows. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

Just now, Malike said:

I read he put his hand down awkwardly on the trainer's table preparing to do an exercise after pitching a clean 9th. What did I miss?

Originally it was said he did it smashing his fist on a table in frustration. 

Now it is the story you are hearing.

2 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

I was at the game. His throw to Servideo at second hit the runner (from first) in the back and it ricocheted into the outfield.  It was more inexperience in creating the proper throwing angle to avoid the runner vs. pure throwing inaccuracy. Servideo was then slow to react in getting ball from outfield. 

Yeah imo no way that should be an error.  Pretty ridiculous. 

As I said these guys have caught and fielded baseballs all of their lives.  Playing first base other than for a few unique plays is like breathing to them. 

I'm going to put up a few names on my list of trade targets...

Mason Miller

Tanner Scott

Tyler Anderson

Brent Rooker

I'll omit others like Skubal because they've been discussed ad nauseam to the point you'd think it was an automatic world series (when it's not).  I'm not giving up the farm for a pitcher who only affects one out of every 5 games. (1/5) You can get decent enough production for less cost in someone like Anderson. And if it doesn't work, at least you didn't lose any of the top MLB prospects.

I included Rooker on the list for the simple reason that we have been inconsistent and we need a bat to convert RISP, and Rooker has always played great against the Orioles. That takes one chess piece off of your opponents board, and makes them an ally on your board, providing the boost in scoring runs that we need. Rooker is batting .290 24 HRs. Obviously, to make this happen, Outfielders/DH must be moved. It's possible that this could warrent a 3 team deal. Outfielders and Infielders getting moved, for Pitching and a bat.

7 minutes ago, Malike said:

The rookie right-handed reliever fractured the fifth metacarpal in the pinky of his non-throwing hand after Monday night’s win over the Houston Astros. Miller suffered the fracture when he “pounded the table in frustration in the trainer’s room,” according to Mark Ling, the A’s director of baseball communications.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2024/07/25/oakland-as-closer-mason-miller-headed-to-injured-list-with-fractured-pinky/

4 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm going to put up a few names on my list of trade targets...

Mason Miller

Tanner Scott

Tyler Anderson

Brent Rooker

I'll omit others like Skubal because they've been discussed ad nauseam to the point you'd think it was an automatic world series (when it's not).  I'm not giving up the farm for a pitcher who only affects one out of every 5 games. (1/5) You can get decent enough production for less cost in someone like Anderson. And if it doesn't work, at least you didn't lose any of the top MLB prospects.

I included Rooker on the list for the simple reason that we have been inconsistent and we need a bat to convert RISP, and Rooker has always played great against the Orioles. That takes one chess piece off of your opponents board, and makes them an ally on your board, providing the boost in scoring runs that we need. Rooker is batting .290 24 HRs. Obviously, to make this happen, Outfielders/DH must be moved. It's possible that this could warrent a 3 team deal. Outfielders and Infielders getting moved, for Pitching and a bat.

Good post.  I would love Miller and at least one of the others. 

6 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Yeah imo no way that should be an error.  Pretty ridiculous. 

As I said these guys have caught and fielded baseballs all of their lives.  Playing first base other than for a few unique plays is like breathing to them. 

I don't see how hitting the runner with your throw shouldn't be an error?  That hasn't been a valid way to record an out for a very long time.