The 2024 Trade Deadline

Having a moment to reflect, it really is bitter and somber losing Austin Hays. He's a good guy and was a good player for the Orioles for a number of seasons.

But I understand the nature of the business in MLB. And hopefully the Orioles are finding what they need in their negotiations.

If Mullins is traded I am going to be very sad to see him go, and like he proved today, he can still be a difference maker with his speed and glove in Centerfield. He's still one of the best Centerfielders in baseball and you don't find talent like Cedric Mullins every day.

At the same time I'm really hoping we can get a reliever like Mason Miller or Tanner Scott, or maybe someone else who's just as good that hasn't been discussed here on the message board.

To get Blake Snell or Tarik Skubal would only be good if the price is right. And if it is, I would totally be excited about that, while at the same time moderating my expectations.  We really need good lefties in this rotation. It's too one sided.

I don't know who they get to platoon against lefties now that Hays is gone. It sounds like the A's want to keep Brent Rooker. And we will have a while to wait for Mateo to come back off the IL. (I know he's not an outfielder but we still need guys that can handle lefties.)

The next few days should be very interesting.

I love Kjerstad but at the same time I'm coming to the realization he may not have the defense the team needs at Camden Yards. At best he would have to learn from Santander about how the ball bounces in Right Field. I don't think I'd want to keep him in left field. I think I'd be willing to take him off of my no trade list, if the return is good enough and a player I really wanted. I still think he's a 40 HR guy in the future, but I also think his defense might be a risk. Not sure how you can hide that in today's game. We have a lot of fly-ball pitchers.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Malike said:

Heim has been bad, they are making upgrades, even if not seemingly sexy.

Your theme for the year has been that Heim has been bad, and I agree. He’s been much less than he was last year, but he’s still better than McCann. I doubt the Rangers want to get rid of him, but he would be an upgrade.

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

The best thing about this year's trade deadline is that we have owners who are willing to increase payroll and they're giving the front office the support they need to make good deals for talent.

We don't know that.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We don't know that.

I base my statement on the reality that we just added an $23M from 2 trades. Minus whatever Hays was making and we still added a significant expense in payroll for 2-3 players.

5 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Oh good, relief pitching wasn't expensive enough already without the Braves getting involved.

He was converted to a SP this year, should be okay with the RP market, might complicate the SP market.

2 minutes ago, ChicagoTerp said:

Even Eflin's remaining commitment would have been an issue in years past. 

They have the Burnes money coming off the books next year, and Santander.

It's certainly not a bad sign but I wouldn't start a shopping list just yet.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

He was converted to a SP this year, should be okay with the RP market, might complicate the SP market.

You are correct, I forgot they were doing that experiment with him. Doesn't seem that it will go down as the complete success it looked like it would. Bummer.

And yes, the SP market is what it is going to muck up. VERY grateful we struck early on Eflin now.

12 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Your theme for the year has been that Heim has been bad, and I agree. He’s been much less than he was last year, but he’s still better than McCann. I doubt the Rangers want to get rid of him, but he would be an upgrade.

It hasn't been my theme, it's been the truth. You keep pretending that I'm making it up that he's been bad. I'm not. The Rangers traded for a catcher with a 101 OPS+, which isn't very good because Heim has an OPS+ of 78. It's been your theme that Heim is the same all-star that he was last year and would be a huge upgrade. You don't trade for a backup catcher, you find them on the FA market or in AAA every year.

1 minute ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

You are correct, I forgot they were doing that experiment with him. Doesn't seem that it will go down as the complete success it looked like it would. Bummer.

And yes, the SP market is what it is going to muck up. VERY grateful we struck early on Eflin now.

I mean the results were there. He was one of the best SP in the NL. They babied him as much as possible, he's only had 18 starts, but sometimes these things happen.