The 2024 Trade Deadline

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How so?

This is his roster, it's his farm system.

How is he without any fault?

Simple. Injuries to our rotation. If Brandish was pitching we wouldn't have NEEDED Elfin.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Who died and made you judge of all internet trade talk?

Can you please provide me with the talking points you want us all to agree on?  Make it easy on me. I don’t feel like reading back. Might miss some news. 

I think you might have misinterpreted what I wrote. Feel free to fire away with whatever take you wish. That's what the board is for.

I actually admire your relentlessness. You have probably proposed more trades than every other posters combined! Keep them coming!

2 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

Simple. Injuries to our rotation. If Brandish was pitching we wouldn't have NEEDED Elfin.

He is at NO FAULT for not anticipating that pitchers can get hurt?

Bradish was hurt in the off season.  Means had setbacks from his return to TJ surgery last year.  Wells can never stay healthy.

You can't expect to know that a giant sinkhole will open up under someone's house and swallow them up.  That isn't the same as being blindsided by a Tyler Wells injury.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Did the Giants trade Soler to open up the DH spot for Mountcastle?  Mountcastle for Snell?  We trade our cleanup hitter for an Ace. 

No they didn’t.  They traded Soler because they made a mistake signing him to begin with.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mountcastle and Mullins brother. I’d do that. 

I don't think they would.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Who in the world wants Irvin starting games for them that they are actually trying to win? lol

He'd basically be their fifth starter, and he wouldn't be much more than a throw-in that they could cut or move to the bullpen if he stinks or a young arm is ready for a MLB look in September. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Through no fault of his own??? He didn’t know Means and Bradish were damaged goods coming into this season? He made no effort to acquire any SP besides Burnes. 

Besides Burnes hahha.

Even with that mis-step, I agree with your point on Means. Who was available via fa? Braddish was 'supposed' to be ok.

There are circumstances like ownership change over, that we have no insight into. 

You don't replace Brandish. You dig in, acquire a 3-4 and hope for the best.

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Did the Giants trade Soler to open up the DH spot for Mountcastle?  Mountcastle for Snell?  We trade our cleanup hitter for an Ace. 

Solar was a target of mine in the off season, as he destroys lefties. The limits the lefty matchups that WILL be thrown against us.

We still have not heard a single word about Tyler Anderson, which means it would fit. 

A similar version to the Eflin trade of Baumeister, Etzel, Horvath. 

So that would be one of DeLeon/Povich/McDermott + Wagner + Fabian. 

Tyler Anderson could possibly start a Game 2 at home with the Lefty advantage. Or a Game 4. He’s signed through next year to an affordable deal. 

He’s pretty much the RH version of Eflin in terms of experience and contract. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He is at NO FAULT for not anticipating that pitchers can get hurt?

Bradish was hurt in the off season.  Means had setbacks from his return to TJ surgery last year.  Wells can never stay healthy.

You can't expect to know that a giant sinkhole will open up under someone's house and swallow them up.  That isn't the same as being blindsided by a Tyler Wells injury.

There was also a big Angelos factor in the off-season. But yeah, for me it wasn't the lack of SP moves, it was the lack of bullpen moves. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I don't think they would.

He'd basically be their fifth starter, and he wouldn't be much more than a throw-in that they could cut or move to the bullpen if he stinks or a young arm is ready for a MLB look in September. 

If they are acquiring Mountcastle, they suggest that they are attempting to win. If they acquire Irvin that suggest that winning is not that important to them because Irvin stinks. And any game he starts as opposed to Snell, they would be lessen their chances for a victory.

They don't really have any margin for error as is. And they don't have the luxury of inserting a pitcher like Irvin into their rotation. They need to do all they can to win as many games as possible (if that is their goal). 

Coming back the next day to catch up on new posts is quite interesting.

I think we will get Snell.

We got Burnes for less prospect cost because he only had one season remaining, so he only cost Ortiz and Hall(and a pick, which was less important) 

Snell, because of his contract situation and only two months remaining, will be very cheap in prospect cost, even if potentially expensive money-wise.

Elias has shown that he would rather save his prospects, so it makes sense that Snell is the desirable target, and IMO, if we get another starter, which God grant, it will be Snell.

I think the reliever will be Kirby Yates. His BB rate is very low, and he’s a FA in two months, and the Rangers have been wiped out by injuries. Even with a bunch of guys coming back, they are unlikely to push into the playoffs.

Also, everyone is saying Scott, and I wanted to throw out a dark horse name. And Yates has been nails this season.