The 2024 Trade Deadline

Just now, orioles119 said:

Yeah... it'll be the "we should have beat that offer" talk.  We got a preview with the talk about how the Cardinals got Fedde.

The flip side of that is what Toronto got for Kikuchi. They got a starter with 6 years of control in Bloss, Loperfido and Will Wagner for 2 months of Kikuchi.

Just now, Bemorewins said:

If they are acquiring Mountcastle, they suggest that they are attempting to win. If they acquire Irvin that suggest that winning is not that important to them because Irvin stinks. And any game he starts as opposed to Snell, they would be lessen their chances for a victory.

They don't really have any margin for error as is. And they don't have the luxury of inserting a pitcher like Irvin into their rotation. They need to do all they can to win as many games as possible (if that is their goal). 

Replacement-ish level guys like Irvin get included to backfill holes (at least temporarily) opened by trades all the time, see: Cristian Pache backfilling Austin Hays' roster spot in the Dominguez trade a few days ago.

31 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

It’s about what he can do, not what he’s done.  By Stuff+ he has the 7th best fastball in MLB.  He has two other above average offerings as well (his CU grades almost equal to Tyler Anderson).  Pure stuff+ has him at 11th best pitcher in MLB. Astros know what to look for and how to get the most out of pitchers.  I best you he outperforms his numbers the remainder of the season. 

It’s good to have great stuff and Stuff+. nobody’s denying that. But that doesn’t always make you a good pitcher. Kikuchi has a long record of mediocrity. He may get on a roll and pitch great, any pitcher can. The Astros better hope he does because that trade was an absolute stinker for them. 

1 minute ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Replacement-ish level guys like Irvin get included to backfill holes (at least temporarily) opened by trades all the time, see: Cristian Pache backfilling Austin Hays' roster spot in the Dominguez trade a few days ago.

Backup outfielder is a little less important than pitcher who starts every fifth game.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He is at NO FAULT for not anticipating that pitchers can get hurt?

Bradish was hurt in the off season.  Means had setbacks from his return to TJ surgery last year.  Wells can never stay healthy.

You can't expect to know that a giant sinkhole will open up under someone's house and swallow them up.  That isn't the same as being blindsided by a Tyler Wells injury.

He got Burnes, who effectively preemptively replaced Bradish. That gave us Burnes-Grayson, while giving Bradish and Means a chance to see how they would do along with Wells, Irvin, and Suarez, plus the prospects. Going with that group was a totally reasonable plan. Getting another ace at that point would have been pretty nuts. Unfortunately with the exception of Suarez we ended up with the worst case scenario of three injuries plus Irvin, Povich, and McDermott all sucking. We can still grab someone at the deadline. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He is at NO FAULT for not anticipating that pitchers can get hurt?

Bradish was hurt in the off season.  Means had setbacks from his return to TJ surgery last year.  Wells can never stay healthy.

You can't expect to know that a giant sinkhole will open up under someone's house and swallow them up.  That isn't the same as being blindsided by a Tyler Wells injury.

So consider the fact that the next pitch thrown, could be that pitchers last:

You want a contingency plan for that? That hindsight thing is really powerful.

Honestly, I think Irvin's spring training made them think they 'another starter', dumb as that sounds now ..

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

He got Burnes, who effectively preemptively replaced Bradish. That gave us Burnes-Grayson, while giving Bradish and Means a chance to see how they would do along with Wells, Irvin, and Suarez, plus the prospects. Going with that group was a totally reasonable plan. Getting another ace at that point would have been pretty nuts. Unfortunately with the exception of Suarez we ended up with the worst case scenario of three injuries plus Irvin, Povich, and McDermott all sucking. We can still grab someone at the deadline. 

How many years has he been in charge?

How many pitchers has he drafted and developed?

Yes, Burnes was a great move, but more could have been done increase depth.

It's not as if the O's are the only team with pitchers getting hurt.

The idea that he is without fault is ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

This still doesn't speak to the bullpen management.

In no way was it a reasonable expectation that Kimbrel could give you the elite production of Bautista as a one-for-one replacement.

Other than Kimbrel, we effectively did nothing to cover for the Bautista sized hole at the end of games. Last season, we could live with a shaky middle relief because of how lockdown Bautista was. There were multiple games where we used Bautista to cover 5 outs, effectively using Cano and Bautista to handle from the 7th on. Now we not only have ineffective middle relief but our backend is shaky too.

This was a problem that Stevie Wonder should have been able to see coming.

• Upvote 1

Just now, E-D-D-I-E said:

So consider the fact that the next pitch thrown, could be that pitchers last:

You want a contingency plan for that? That hindsight thing is really powerful.

Honestly, I think Irvin's spring training made them think they 'another starter', dumb as that sounds now ..

Yes.

I want more pitching depth than Povich.

I want pitchers selected in the draft instead of yet another left handed college outfielder.

The hopeful mentions about beloved Pittsburgh kid David Bednar would be lovely, but Skenes having dragged the Pirates to contention, I think Aroldis Chapman is their Seranthony Dominguez character.

Certainly the Pirates offense could use any number of Orioles Bats.

Circling the Aroldis Chapman asset and NYY and BAL both having demand for LH relief, I wonder if due diligence for both Brian Cashman and Mike Elias is having a decision tree do they bid for Aroldis if the other one (or anyone else) wins Tanner Scott.

It will suck for baseball if the Pirates shut Skenes down in September, and I think we will get some clues their intentions this evening.