DSL Orioles 2024

RZNJ

First two days have been rained out.

In other news, Yaki Mondesir who was one of our top pitching signs this year was assigned to the Restricted List today.  I haven’t seen any news on why.  

From DSL box score watching, it seems like both teams got off to a good start today.

DSL Orioles Orange beat DSL Dodgers Bautista 8-6.

Top four lineup spots were:

1. Emilio Sanchez SS - top 2024 J2 $1.3MM signing walked twice and struck out once

2. Luis Guevara 2B - 2023 $200k bonus switch-hitting speedster repeating DSL had 2 doubles, a walk, and two strikeouts

3. Jordan Sanchez CF - 18 yr old Cuban $450K signing from last fall went 0-4 with 2 walks and a strikeout; he had 2 line-outs and a fly-out

4. Adriander Meija C - 17 yr old catcher repeating DSL that was ranked #52 best prospect by Tony had a single and two walks

Henry Tejada (2022 signee) returned to pitching following his 2023 PED suspension. Pitchers Esmerlyn Valenzuela (21 yrs) and Santhany Vizcaino (20 yrs) made their MILB debuts following recent signings. 

Notable players on bench were Stiven Martinez ($950K bonus) and Angel Garcia ($240K bonus).

DSL Orioles Black defeated the DSL Athletics 4-2.

Top four lineup spots were:

1. Felix Amparo DH - 2023 $350K signing went 0-5

2. Jose Meija 2B - 2023 $410K bonus signing who was sidelined much of last year with injury went 3-3 with a double and walk

3. Elvin Garcia SS - 2024 $500K signing went 1-3 with a double and walk

4. Abraham Cohen - 2023 $140K bonus signing who was sidelined much of last year with injury like Meija went 0-1 with 2 walks and a HBP

Esteban Luna (17 yrs, recent signing) pitched 3 innings of 1-hit ball with 4 strikeouts and a walk. Andy Tena (20 yrs) and Salvador Casado (18 yrs) also made their MILB debuts on the mound. 

Notable player on the bench was Jemone Nuel ($500K bonus).

• Upvote 4

17-year old Esteban Luna pitched his second consecutive 3 inning shutout today.  His line so far: 6 IP, 0 R, 3 H, 2 BB, 9 K’s.

Anyone know anything about Luna?  He’s from Venezuela, and apparently was signed somewhere between Feb. 12 and March 2, per BA.   Listed at 5’11”, 168 lbs. on Milb.com.  He’s the first pitcher on Orioles Black to make two starts, so it seems maybe the O’s like him better than some of the Jan. 15 signees.  

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

17-year old Esteban Luna pitched his second consecutive 3 inning shutout today.  His line so far: 6 IP, 0 R, 3 H, 2 BB, 9 K’s.

Anyone know anything about Luna?  He’s from Venezuela, and apparently was signed somewhere between Feb. 12 and March 2, per BA.   Listed at 5’11”, 168 lbs. on Milb.com.  He’s the first pitcher on Orioles Black to make two starts, so it seems maybe the O’s like him better than some of the Jan. 15 signees.  

If they weren’t covered by someone like Basaeball America in the signing class or specifically talked about by Koby Perez it’s tough to get inside info on these guys without knowing someone on the inside.  There was a 6’7 pitcher names Magallanes who recorded 5 outs, all by strikeouts, signed in 2023.  Certainly quite old for the DSL but I always wonder if we found a late bloomer or something.  @Tony-OH  has contacts.  He’s probably our only hope for any type of scouting reports on the more obscure DSL players.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

If they weren’t covered by someone like Basaeball America in the signing class or specifically talked about by Koby Perez it’s tough to get inside info on these guys without knowing someone on the inside.  There was a 6’7 pitcher names Magallanes who recorded 5 outs, all by strikeouts, signed in 2023.  Certainly quite old for the DSL but I always wonder if we found a late bloomer or something.  @Tony-OH  has contacts.  He’s probably our only hope for any type of scouting reports on the more obscure DSL players.

Magallanes is listed at 6'7 170 lbs!!!   Someone feed the poor man a steak!!! or two!!!

6 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

Magallanes is listed at 6'7 170 lbs!!!   Someone feed the poor man a steak!!! or two!!!

Ha. I can top that.  Kevin Velasco who pitches for the DSL Orioles Orange is listed at 6’11 155.   Unless that’s a typo and he’s 6’1 I’d say he’s built like Manute Bol.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Ha. I can top that.  Kevin Velasco who pitches for the DSL Orioles Orange is listed at 6’11 155.   Unless that’s a typo and he’s 6’1 I’d say he’s built like Manute Bol.

That doesn't even seem physiologically possible??  I'm super skinny at 5'9 150.  This guy is 14 inches taller than I am and almost the same weight?  I would have to think that's a typo....

10 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I feel like this team may be a little older than the past teams. Definitely a good start for the hitters. We normally get trounced in this league.

The batters average 17.4 (Orange) and 17.6 (Black).  League average is 17.7.  The  pitchers on both teams average 18.9, league average is 18.6.   

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The batters average 17.4 (Orange) and 17.6 (Black).  League average is 17.7.  The  pitchers on both teams average 18.9, league average is 18.6.   

Thanks. Do players ever get promoted mid season from there? Seems like Jordan Sanchez can really hit. I know it’s a small sample size.

14 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Thanks. Do players ever get promoted mid season from there? Seems like Jordan Sanchez can really hit. I know it’s a small sample size.

I believe there is some lead time required for obtaining visas (e.g., scheduling interview, etc.)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I was thinking that and what is the next stop. Is FCL too comparable to even be worth making the leap. 

FCL is the next step.  95% (maybe 99%) go there except super prospects like Ethan Salas.