Cade Povich 2024

Pickles

24 minutes ago, Malike said:

Pretty disappointing. To his credit he got through 4.2 against the top offense in MLB with only 1 run allowed. Felt lucky to do so. Did not seem like the same guy who dominated the Braves. Different pitch mix with way fewer curve balls.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Pretty disappointing. To his credit he got through 4.2 against the top offense in MLB with only 1 run allowed. Felt lucky to do so. Did not seem like the same guy who dominated the Braves. Different pitch mix with way fewer curve balls.

Definitely wasn't fun to watch. I don't think Irvin is going to have much more success, though. He's been pretty lucky out-pitching his peripherals.

6 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Playoff type game. Smaller ballpark then when facing the Braves. Better lineup. Smaller margin for error. 

23 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Playoff type game. Smaller ballpark then when facing the Braves. Better lineup. Smaller margin for error. 

I don’t think that stuff mattered, at least on the outside. He gave up one run. He made Soto look as uncomfortable on the two abs I watched as anyone has. This is about Povich’s head and confidence. His stuff plays.  He just has to believe that.

One of the troubles with a guy like Povich is that if he is all over the place, the ump is not likely to give him the close call. Good pitchers get the calls. He has to prove himself. Last night's ump was tough on O's pitchers that appeared to throw low strikes (Perez seemed to get screwed a couple of times) and O'Hearn had a strike called well below the knees. I had to laugh, because Hyde went nuts and the ump seemed to acknowledge the missed call and said "I hear you."

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This matters for sure.  If you miss your spot, at least miss where the chance of damage is minimized.

9 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Truthfully I prefer him in the rotation over Suarez. Call me crazy.

I don't think this is crazy, I would like to see him get a couple more starts.  I think Suarez could really help out the bullpen right now. 

53 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Some big red flags there, but at least he kept runs off the board. Wouldn't bet on that happening in most games where he walks five batters in 4.2.

Definitely red flags, let the Yankees see him again in a couple of weeks with Judge and with that lack of command, and it would be a lot uglier.

Last night was about keeping the team in the game and he did.

I don't know how the Umpire Scorecard overall results will be, but the fortunate call to end a brutal inning was a life preserver.

Seeing a few games reinforces him as a Kyle Gibson tribe member.     He'll live around the edges on his good nights.

Next game Cleveland at OPACY odds may favor attacking the strike zone more.