Cade Povich 2024

Pickles

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

I could see it if the command suddenly clicked and he's dotting 93 around the zone. Right now he's kind of like Akin when he was a SP prospect. 

I am officially uncomfortable with him and McDermott being our supposed top 2 pitching prospects. 

That's what happens when you don't actually draft pitchers.  Povich was traded for and I believe McDermott was too, which makes it even worse.  Who's the best O's drafted pitching prospect?  Forret?  Baumeister?

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

The stuff is absolutely undeniable.  

I like this kid.  I talked about it last year but I heard an interview with him on MLB Radio and he really impressed me with his intelligence and mental approach. He was a psych major and said it really helps him on the mound.

Between the ears is so underrated in pro sports. Guys who can excel at that can really separate themselves. Of course you have to execute but still, he has a lot of things you like.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I like this kid.  I talked about it last year but I heard an interview with him on MLB Radio and he really impressed me with his intelligence and mental approach. He was a psych major and said it really helps him on the mound.

Between the ears is so underrated in pro sports. Guys who can excel at that can really separate themselves. Of course you have to execute but still, he has a lot of things you like.

I like him a lot, too.  And that’s why he frustrates me so much.  He will have 2 innings in a row like the 1st and then walk the bases loaded, give up a GS and look like he’s never pitched before.  The stuff is nasty.  If he can harness it a bit and just control it he will be fine.  He doesn’t need top notch command with his stuff.  

Povich recovered nicely and ended up finishing 6 innings in 87 pitches - the last bit of data he had to put in front of the league wasn't going to get him hooked in the early innings.

Povich and McDermott as expected on reputation seem to be at opposite ends of the Kyle Gibson - Felix Bautista spectrum.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

In one inning, you can already see the difference in stuff between Povich and McDermott.

Agree, I still see a potential bump in velocity for Povich (McDermott too). It will be interesting to see where both end up as MLB pitchers.

MC could close games for Orioles as early as this fall. Povich May be an Akin/Webb type RP or as high as a 3/4 SP.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2024 at 3:58 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

That's what happens when you don't actually draft pitchers.  Povich was traded for and I believe McDermott was too, which makes it even worse.  Who's the best O's drafted pitching prospect?  Forret?  Baumeister?

Well, international players are not part of the draft system, so the young Latin American pitchers the O's directly acquired they obtained outside of the draft.  21 year old Luis de Leon might be the highest profile at the moment.  Then there is a 17 year old named Esteban Mejia that apparently has great raw stuff.  So, while I agree it needs to be on the to do list for the O's to draft more and better pitchers, unlike years past under Angelos the O's are active in the DR and other countries to sign young arms.

A team like the Astros was able to build an impressive young rotation of pitchers from the DR and other countries even though so many of the pitchers they drafted ended up being flops.

On 7/24/2024 at 6:59 PM, Sports Guy said:

Too bad between the ears hasn’t helped with the walks yet. 

37 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Good to hear.  Maybe over the winter Elias/coaches/analytics, etc can figure out why it's not transferring to the majors.

May just be a matter of his command fluctuating from one outing to the next.  He’s always had that issue IMO.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

May just be a matter of his command fluctuating from one outing to the next.  He’s always had that issue IMO.

Yep. He's fooled me before.  Let's see how his next couple of outings go. Definitely a nice line last night.