The Yankees in ten game intervals

HowAboutThat

During a recent game thread, there was a discussion about this year’s progress vs the Yankees and comparison was made to the Rays and last year’s race.

I said that 1) the two seasons are different entities and can’t really be compared, and 2) last year we gradually closed the gap and eventually surpassed the Rays, and this year, the New Yorkers are slowly widening the gap.

On June 1, NY was 41-19, and Baltimore was 37-19, having played four fewer games, but tied in the loss column. Since then, the Orioles have gone 2-3 and NY has gone 4-0, so Baltimore has lost three games in the loss column. NY is 20-9 against >.500 teams, and the Orioles are 20-8, so the schedule seems pretty balanced.

The Yankees have been without Cole, who started a rehab outing today, have lost Schmidt for 4-6 weeks, and are day to day with Soto and arm inflammation. 

The Orioles have lost lotsa guys, are currently minus Kremer, and are least at risk of losing Bradish.

It seemed like an interesting project to add the Yankees season in ten game intervals to Frobby’s evaluation of the Orioles’, tso here tis.

Mar 28-April 7 7-3

April 8-19 6-4

April 20-29 5-5

April 30-May 10 7-3

May 11-21  7-3

May 22-June 1 8-2

June 2- today 4-0

The Orioles have been consistent in ten game intervals, and overall are playing well, but the Yankees are also consistent and if they merely split their next 6 games, will have another 7-3 ten.

The question was asked whether the Yankees can maintain a .700 winning percentage, and I have no idea, but they are healthy and playing well, so maybe?

The point is that we need to do something to address our weaknesses because the advantages of winning the division are significant, and it’s better to go into October fresh.

Plus, I hate the Yankees and as Frobby has mentioned, it’s been a very long time since the Orioles won consecutive division titles.

Thanks for reading this far, if you did.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what weaknesses do you think need to be addressed, and how far are you willing to go to address them?   Addressing weaknesses doesn’t come for free.   For example, would you trade Holliday, Basallo or Mayo for a good back-end reliever?  Kjerstad?  How many of those four would you be willing to trade to address the various weaknesses you think we need to address?

I'll go with no on the "can they win 70%" question. It's only been done three times in the last 70 years, and one of those was during the shortened covid season. 

So far, I'm not that worried about the Yankee chase. They look great but the O's are doing what they need to do and won 3/4 in the only matchup so far. If we lose the series in the Bronx this month and the Yankees are 5+ games ahead at that point, the real angst will start. 

At some point, you can't just worry about the competition. If you can get 105 wins, you take it and accept the result.

Though right now, I'm seeing Yohan Ramirez try to close out a game in the 11th against the Yankees... 😬

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So what weaknesses do you think need to be addressed, and how far are you willing to go to address them?   Addressing weaknesses doesn’t come for free.   For example, would you trade Holliday, Basallo or Mayo for a good back-end reliever?  Kjerstad?  How many of those four would you be willing to trade to address the various weaknesses you think we need to address?

What weaknesses do YOU think need to be addressed? None? That’s fine, but I think you’d agree about the weak links in the chain. Not sure why you asked the question but maybe there aren’t any weak spots that need to be  addressed.

More important is the price paid. I don’t think ME will go overboard and do another 6 years for twenty innings. I’ve already posted asking what the crowd thought of Basallo for Miller, and there was a fairly even divide between yea and nay. A trade for a dependable and sturdy reliever would be expensive, but a Rom/Flaherty trade would be a waste of time. I don’t recall what Fuji cost, but he sure didn’t produce.

A good player will be expensive, but the point of a deep farm is using it in trades. Ortiz may win NL ROY, but that remains a good trade.

The point of the post is that if we do nothing, we probably won’t win the division(which you want as much as I) or go deep in October.

The Yankees are losing right now,  but are still 26 games over .500 and aside from one 5-5 stretch, have been outstanding even without Cole.

Edited by Philip

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m on record as saying we need a good back end reliever.  I doubt I’d do Basallo for Miller.  It’s tempting though.  

Would you do Kjerstad and Norby? Or Mayo and Povich? There’s lots of combinations, folks could-and DO-speculate endlessly about dozens of combinations, and all of them would leave the Orioles with a farm system full to bursting with solid prospects. I just want to avoid overvaluing our guys to the point that nothing is done.

FWIW, I want a shiny new starter too, still in the bubble wrap and with that “new player” smell. Maybe even two.

My birthday is coming up. I’ve been good…and that’s what I want.

22 minutes ago, Philip said:

Would you do Kjerstad and Norby? Or Mayo and Povich? There’s lots of combinations, folks could-and DO-speculate endlessly about dozens of combinations, and all of them would leave the Orioles with a farm system full to bursting with solid prospects. I just want to avoid overvaluing our guys to the point that nothing is done.

FWIW, I want a shiny new starter too, still in the bubble wrap and with that “new player” smell. Maybe even two.

My birthday is coming up. I’ve been good…and that’s what I want.

I don’t think I would do any of those for a reliever.   I would have done Kjerstad and Norby for Cease this offseason (before the Burnes trade), so I certainly don’t consider either of them untouchable.  But a reliever shouldn’t cost two players who could be full-time major league regulars.  

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think I would do any of those for a reliever.   I would have done Kjerstad and Norby for Cease this offseason (before the Burnes trade), so I certainly don’t consider either of them untouchable.  But a reliever shouldn’t cost two players who could be full-time major league regulars.  

I understand that and I agree... my point was that any combination and quantity could be postulated and debated but our assets need to be put to use in asset acquisition in some way.

I remember when Preller took over the Padres, first thing he did was trade EVERYBODY on the farm. He emptied the farm and the team was awful. Mike isn’t going to do that, but he needs to do something, at least two significant something’s, and even if he does, the farm will still be fine.

The Yankees are not immortal and are being bludgeoned by the Dodgers, who themselves were lucky to escape from Pittsburgh with a win.  This is why you don't make panic moves to catch the Yankees on June 8th, because they are not going to play .700 ball all season long.

I'm sure they will tighten up the pen and keep our top prospects as well. The Yankees had a 28-5 game stretch and a whole hell of a lot of good it did them, we've gained ground on them.

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

The Yankees are not immortal and are being bludgeoned by the Dodgers, who themselves were lucky to escape from Pittsburgh with a win.  This is why you don't make panic moves to catch the Yankees on June 8th, because they are not going to play .700 ball all season long.

I'm sure they will tighten up the pen and keep our top prospects as well. The Yankees had a 28-5 game stretch and a whole hell of a lot of good it did them, we've gained ground on them.

Dodgers lead Yankees10-2 in the 9th.

19 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

We got a tough 3 weeks schedule coming up. We play the Braves, Phillies, Yankees, Astros, Guardians, Rangers and Mariners in order.

Astros and Rangers are not scary this year....up to this point. They have been subpar and underperforming (?) like some think the Rays are. Let's hope the lights don't flick on between now and then.