06/11 Roster Moves: Mateo reinstated from Concussion List and Bryan Baker recalled. (Coulombe to 15 Day IL and Norby back to Norfolk)

• OsFanSinceThe80s changed the title to 06/11 Roster Moves: Mateo reinstated from Concussion List and Bryan Baker recalled. (Coulombe to 15 Day IL and Norby back to Norfolk)

Why Baker? Vespi could have been recalled since he is replacing an injured player. I haven't looked closely at Baker's stats lately but he's been pretty bad since the end of last year.

1 minute ago, dtk9119 said:

Why Baker? Vespi could have been recalled since he is replacing an injured player. I haven't looked closely at Baker's stats lately but he's been pretty bad since the end of last year.

That's a fair question Baker has a 6.55 ERA and 1.455 WHIP at Norfolk even if he's striking out batters at a good clip (12.3 SO9).

5 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

Probably because Vespi hasn't pitched since 6/4 and needs to pitch, which there isn't a guarantee he would do with Baltimore.

Coulombe is the team’s best reliever. It’s a big loss even if it’s just for 15 days. If it’s an extended absence, they’re screwed. He’s arguably their best setup man against both LHH and RHH. They needed one more set up man as is, without Coulombe they need at least 2, maybe 3. 

Hopefully he’s okay though. MASN showed him laughing in the dugout during the game yesterday. Doesn’t mean it’s not serious, but he seemed to be in good spirits. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That's a fair question Baker has a 6.55 ERA and 1.455 WHIP at Norfolk even if he's striking out batters at a good clip (12.3 SO9).

If you squint real hard (and believe in small sample sizes), he is coming off five straight scoreless appearances (and eight of last nine). He hasn't been quite has horrendous recently as he started. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, LGOrioles said:

Coulombe is the team’s best reliever. It’s a big loss even if it’s just for 15 days. If it’s an extended absence, they’re screwed. He’s arguably their best setup man against both LHH and RHH. They needed one more set up man as is, without Coulombe they need at least 2, maybe 3. 

Hopefully he’s okay though. MASN showed him laughing in the dugout during the game yesterday. Doesn’t mean it’s not serious, but he seemed to be in good spirits. 

Could it be this is just a precautionary load management move like they did with Grayson? 

I'm not pouring through the numbers right now, but my best recollection from Norfolk box score-watching is that Baker has put together a string of very successful relief performances over the past couple weeks. Maybe he's ironed something out down there. 

Obviously we don't know and any pitcher's arm could go poof anytime, but I do feel like "inflammation" on a standalone basis is code for load management.

Coulombe's a good enough pitcher to rate some attrition protection.

If rule setters want to slow the carousel a little, they could think about 20 or 30 day minimums for this kind of stuff some other CBA.

I'll guess like Grayson he will not require a minor league rehab outing when the time's up.