Phillies series is going to be fun

Sports Guy

On 6/13/2024 at 12:09 PM, Sports Guy said:

Great pitching matchups..sell out crowds.

Should be great viewing.

2 of the 3 best teams and arguably the leading contenders for CY in each league but is that the Sunday ESPn national game?  Nah..we got Boston vs NY!  

Yesterday turned out to be not fun at all. A loss, a lost player likely for the season. 

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yesterday turned out to be not fun at all. A loss, a lost player likely for the season. 

I tuned in after the Bradish injury but I had a blast watching it. Great crowd, Santander blast, extras, two challenged plays at the plate, momentum going back and forth. Other than the outcome it was a fantastic game.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t like losing and I certainly won’t like losing Bradish for any length of time (I refuse to say it’s for the whole season until they say so).  But that game was a ton of fun.  The performance by Akin, Santander’s game-tying homer, Santander’s throw to the plate, and Mullins’ slide — that was highly entertaining baseball.   

• Upvote 2

I did scan the 7-game postseason formats this decade to see whether Kimbrel in the 2023 NLCS was far beyond other pitchers for torching championship hopes.

I get his -0.69 WPA 3rd worst.     Kimbrel yielded 1 run B9 to lose Game 3 2-1, and yielded 3 runs B8 to lose Game 4 6-5.     Those games occurred as PHI lost a 2-0 lead in Arizona against an opponent they had outplayed by about 162 pythagorean wins in season.

Kenley in the 2020 World Series was -0.78, in part thanks to Brett Phillips.    His team won though, so no great shakes.

Luke Jackson in the 2021 NLCS was -1.00, but his team also won.

Miguel Castro, Framber Valdez and Nick Anderson are the other 2020's outcomes in the -0.6 range on teams that lost.

I guess this might be a simple query if any of you have splurged for Stathead.

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

Series has been great so far. They had plenty of chances to win last night, and made it a little easier today. They get punched in the mouth and get right back up and punch back. I await the 14-10 final in tomorrows game.

Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I hear ya. But yesterday was a great game. Today was more fun though! We are going to be okay despite the Bradish injury. I am confident that Elias won't make the same mistake again and go with a marginal add at the deadline. This time I believe he will go for the difference maker.

How many Hall of Fame starting pitchers in the finale tomorrow?

I saw Rob Thomson gave a quote maybe Trea Turner is back for the decider.    6 week absence and spot back in against Corbin Burnes.    Mike Elias is maybe going please please please as he thinks about if Coby Mayo needs to play a few complex games to really get back to the groove.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I don’t think this is totally accurate.  Means was looked at as a guy who no one could count on for this year, I don’t think anyone expected him to be able to finish the season.  Sort of the same scenario with Bradish, I think everyone thought this outcome was inevitable. They tried the treatment and that delayed it but no one should be surprised about this.  Wells is Mr. Glass. The fact that they all went down in the first half of the season is inconvenient but shouldn’t be totally surprising.  All of these guys had issues headed into the season.  
    • We have been several times. We need to be at least 1 game better in the lose column if we're 3 games down. The percentages say we're going to lose one of those 3 games. There's 83 games left to play. We just need to win as many as we can.
    • Yes, they're asking pitchers to throw at 110% all the time, just like everyone else in the world from 11U on up.
    • OP is asking about next year as well as this one. I think the point is we can get a guy who will help us now and next year. We did expect to lose Bradish but not him and Means and Wells all at the same time. Right now we would be going into next year with Grayson as our only dependable guy. Won't be much margin for error without another Burnes type. 
    • Something to keep in mind in the offseason is that the starting pitcher FA market doesn’t look that great in terms of pitchers we would sign or even want to sign. On top of that, you have several guys who only become FA if they opt out and if they opt out, it’s likely because they didn’t have a great season. Combine that with the idea that our only 2 internal rotation candidates are Povich and McDermott, both of whom have exhibited a lot of issues with command and control and it certainly is a shaky long term outlook for the rotation. Position player wise, we will (in theory) lose Santander and McCann. Hays and Mullins are likely gone. Not going to have both Mateo and Urias but certainly could bring back one. As of now, OHearn definitely has his option picked up. If it were up to me, Mounty would be traded. 2 years left of control, likely to be coming off a very solid season and we have players behind him. He could help fetch us some pitching. My expectation is at least 2 of Mounty, OHearn and Santander will be back. How so many of these guys and our prospects end the year will determine how we attack the offseason. But for the deadline, I think obtaining a starter that can be here long term is something the team should look at.     You have several options in Miami and potentially a guy like Detmers.    A Detmers/Estevez package is something I would be looking into.  Same thing with Nardi and one of the Marlins starters, like a Braxton Garrett for example. For me, the key here is that you need to upgrade the pen. I think if you make the pen really good and you have Burnes and GRod, that may be enough.  I’m not trading our top 3 prospects. I think all play big roles in 2025, although Basallo may not play a role until the season is well underway, But I would trade Kjerstad and anyone else while hoping to keep certain guys although they wouldn’t be deal breakers.  
    • And Fangraphs has the Yankees 68% to 31% to win the division.
  • Popular Contributors