How important is this Yankees series, really?

Frobby

40 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I don’t think Hyde yelling at Holmes warrants anything from the Yankees. These players are like kids to Hyde. He is with them more than he’s with his own family. When something like that happens to your family you may say and do stuff that is not normal. As a human being they should understand and let him vent. I’d rather someone say F me and I’m a POS than hit me in the face with a 98 MPH fastball.

There is zero wrong with coaches and teammates from the other team standing up for their guy after the other teams manager yells at him.

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

OK, and they hit Henderson.

Ledgers balanced.

The other hit batsman that series were just the Yankees pitchers hitting folks, they lead the league in it for a reason.

So why start things back up by hitting Kjerstad of all people?

Probably mad that he threw Volpe off him like a rag doll on the steal attempt. A ridiculous take, but I would not put it past them.

Good to see an old fashioned NYY-O's rivalry again. Hope we win these two and talk some trash along the way. The Yankees look terrible complaining about the O's "pitching inside" when they have hit far more batters and continue to do so. If Heston is held out the rest of this series... the payback will come some day and it will be sweet.

2 hours ago, terpoh said:

Probably mad that he threw Volpe off him like a rag doll on the steal attempt. A ridiculous take, but I would not put it past them.

I was wondering about this too.  I'm still doubting he hit Heston on purpose, but if he did I would suspect it had something to do with this play.  Volpe fell on Heston and rolled over his face, Heston pushed him off and you could see the look on his face he wasn't happy with how Volpe rolled over him.  Total speculation, but wondering if Heston said something to Volpe and the Yankees being hyper sensitive decided to do something about it.  And the Yankees obviously felt Judge had been hit on purpose in the previous series.

I erased my post from last night, but I will say it again here. The moment Heston got hit I instantly thought it was on purpose. Holmes takes a step forward and shows no concern. A side camera view of the Yankee dugout shows no surprise or concern from many of the players and coaches. Watch the replay and tell me that it looks even remotely like a pitch that got away. It doesn't, it looks like a pitch that went exactly where it was aimed. I doubt he wanted to hit him in the head, but in my opinion he was trying to throw near his head and it happened that it him in the helmet. It was the perfect moment for it, up 4-1 in the ninth and with a little rain. And there is plenty of reason for it. They are still mad about Judge, although watch that replay too. That pitch wouldn't have touched Judge if he hadn't moved his hands into it, it was well away from his body. Kjerstad also threw Volpe off him a little angrily earlier in the game, as mentioned above. And we are a thorn in their side they are trying to beat down. I've watched baseball for a long time and as soon as that happened it looked intentional. Just my opinion.

Edited by FlaO'sFan
  • Upvote 3

The Yankees are a bunch of self-entitled whiny twats. They clearly think they deserve more than other teams - more wins, more calls, more stars, more everything. The fact that they are competing with (and trailing) a lesser team (in their eyes) like our Birds drives them insane. 

I don’t know if the pitch to Silent J was intentional but there is certainly a non-zero chance that it was. I think they are still butt-hurt over Judge getting plunked despite the overwhelming evidence that it wasn’t at all intentional. Which goes back to the entitlement issue. How DARE someone hit OUR STAR. These guys can all go piss up a rope. F them. 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

There is zero wrong with coaches and teammates from the other team standing up for their guy after the other teams manager yells at him.

Their people should not be jawing at our manager when his player is on the ground after getting hit in the head. Low class antics by Yankees bench.

As I said earlier,  I believe he intended to hit Heston, or at least a brush back pitch. I'd much rather see Baltimore beat them on the field and in the standings rather than HBP. There's no way they can waste a Grayson start by having him throw inside today. Hopefully the offense wakes up and puts a boot on them today.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Ridiculous that there wasn't a warning after Gunnar's HBP in the least series. Umps will probably do nothing.

You're probably correct.  If they were involved in a similar situation with another team I believe warnings would have already been issued. 

11 minutes ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

Can we bring Armando out of retirement for one game? 

Someone else suggested Alan Mills. I like that better, if for no other reason than that mustache he had. 

12 hours ago, Malike said:

They better win tomorrow because Hyde "showed fire", "defended his players", and "got ejected" and that is supposed to propel a team to victory according to some posters here. It didn't work tonight so it better tomorrow, or I'll need more evidence that a manager getting tossed propels a team to victory.

I'm skeptical also but it certainly worked for the Yankees after Benitez hit Tino in May of '98.  The Yanks were good (2nd in the East) but went on to go 114-48 and win three consecutive WS by a 12-1 record.  

The Yankees have hit 10 Orioles in 8 games this year and although the pitch last night was an accident-this is likely the second player that will miss games as the result of being beaned.  

Kevin Cash shut up the Yankees a few years ago with his "if you really want to do this I have a whole stable full of guys that throw 98"-and that was the end of that.  

16 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Their people should not be jawing at our manager when his player is on the ground after getting hit in the head. Low class antics by Yankees bench.

And you can argue that he shouldn’t be jawing at another teams player. Nothing wrong with the Yankees reacting to that.