Maton Up, Stowers Down

DirtyBird

3 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

So, the calculus seems:

Ramon Urias (3B, SS, 2B) who hits righties better than lefties + Connor Norby

OR

Nick Maton (3B, SS, 2B) who is also a reverse splits guy that hits lefties better than righties + Mateo at 2B

I don't know, I think I'd rather give Norby more time up here. But maybe they didn't want to burn the option and think Westburg's injury isn't bad at all and could be back tomorrow.

Hopefully, it's the latter. It seems like they wanted another LHB IF because like you said, that short RF wall is a little league HR.

• Upvote 1

So, the calculus seems:

Ramon Urias (3B, SS, 2B) who hits righties better than lefties + Connor Norby

OR

Nick Maton (3B, SS, 2B) who is also a reverse splits guy that hits lefties better than righties + Mateo at 2B

I don't know, I think I'd rather give Norby more time up here. But maybe they didn't want to burn the option and think Westburg's injury isn't bad at all and could be back tomorrow.

Norby can’t come up unless you put Westburg on IL because of 10 day rule.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Norby can’t come up unless they put Westburg on IL.  It most likely means they don’t think it that bad injury.

That's what I'm hopeful of. Maybe the machinations were like this:

• Norby pulled last night with the possibility Westy goes on the IL
  • Westy wakes up the next day, trainers aren't concerned that he'll end up on the IL, Norby stays put
  • Maton isn't great, but he's temporary and will be available off the bench*

*Ideally off the bench. His reverse splits should dictate that he doesn't start. But maybe they truly think that Maton against righties is better than Mateo against righties...which I don't think I agree with just because Maton is pretty bad unless he can get back to 2022 levels when he could actually hit righties. And is there any evidence he's elite with the glove? I'd rather an excellent defense behind Povich.

I suppose it's possible that they see something in Maton against righties and not just as a *caveman grunt* see LHB against RHP and put LHB in.

Edited by LookitsPuck

3 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Norby can’t come up unless you put Westburg on IL because of 10 day rule.  

Yeah, that's my bad. I thought it was more than 10 days. We're right on the edge (Norby sent down on the 11th). So maybe they really do think Westburg will be back soon.

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

That's what I'm hopeful of. Maybe the machinations were like this:

• Norby pulled last night with the possibility Westy goes on the IL
  • Westy wakes up the next day, trainers aren't concerned that he'll end up on the IL, Norby stays put
  • Maton isn't great, but he's temporary and will be available off the bench*

*Ideally off the bench. His reverse splits should dictate that he doesn't start. But maybe they truly think that Maton against righties is better than Mateo against righties...which I don't think I agree with just because Maton is pretty bad unless he can get back to 2022 levels when he could actually hit righties. 

I suppose it's possible that they see something in Maton against righties and not just as a *caveman grunt* see LHB against RHP and put LHB in.

His OPS against RHP is .897 this year and 6 of his 7 HRs are off RHP. It looks like his OPS against RHP has always been better than LHP in the minors.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think they care about Stowers hitting every day.

Did you mean they don't care about Stowers? Cuz that's kinda how it feels to me. However, I can see a case for them making it seem like they do by stating, "We think Kyle should get everyday ABs, just not for the Orioles." They probably don't say that last part out loud.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

His OPS against RHP is .897 this year and 6 of his 7 HRs are off RHP. It looks like his OPS against RHP has always been better than LHP in the minors.

Pretty fascinating. 

642 OPS against RHP in the majors (vs. 793 against LHP). 

That said, it might be driven from his rookie year when he hit LHP much better than RHP. So might be the case of SSS driving the narrative over the following couple years, especially since he was pretty lackluster last year regardless of side of the plate. 

• Upvote 1

Pretty fascinating. 

That said, it might be driven from his rookie year when he hit LHP much better than RHP. So might be the case of SSS driving the narrative over the following couple years, especially since he was pretty lackluster last year regardless of side of the plate. 

Yeah but he has a ton more ABs in the majors against RHP than LHP so that probably skews the numbers some. 430 vs 79.

Edited by Malike
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

How much trouble is Ramon Urias in for getting picked off last night?

Zippo. That's how much. He'll be starting every day at 3B until Westburg comes back.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Pretty fascinating. 

Interesting:

As a left-handed batter Maton  career numbers are he hits lefties better than righies. 

As a right-handed batter Urias career numbers are he hits  righties better than lefties.

Also Maton is out of options.  So if they want to sent him down he has to pass through waivers.  And with his AAA numbers this year he may not make it through waivers.