This team isn’t winning anything unless it trades Holliday, Bassallo or Mayo

DirtyBird

9 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The 2024 O's would likely not have Burnes, so they would be in worse position in the standings and definitely starting pitcing wise. 

My fault re. the above post. Thought you were addressing another comment I made. Sure, the Orioles would probably be worse if they hadn't acquired Burnes. I'm glad they acquired Burnes. My point is not that they shouldn't have made that trade. It's that manufacturing a sense of urgency and acting like we're a piece away at all times is bad process.

22 hours ago, Too Tall said:

This site is named in honor of a man I didn't personnally know but respected. There are times I think we need to remind ourselves of that. Not sure he would appreciate the way aspects of this thread has gotten very personal. I'm not a moderator - just old. But I think the name calling and personal back and forths should cease. Besides - There Are Rules about name calling. This site is better than this.

Thanks, and you are right. We don't see everything so the more offending posts are reported the easier and faster we can take care of things. 

I had to give a repeat offended a long suspension because I was tired of him obviously going against the rules. 

Thank you to all the people that stay civil and help keep this place the best place on the internet to discuss the Orioles.

DirtyBird may or may not be right, but with Bradish, Means and Wells gone -- and Burnes likely gone after the season -- I agree highly unlikely this team will reach the next step without a major influx of quality arms.  It will take a combination of trades -- which may or may not one of Holliday/Mayo/Basallo -- and free agent signings.

I'd rather not see something similar to the 90s where the team let Kevin Brown go and then later Mussina go without ever even coming close to replacing them -- much less improve upon the pitching.  Elias has had good luck trading for the likes of Bradish and Povich, but the O's had more to sell then as a losing team.  Now things are different.

I don't yet agree the O's have to trade one of Holliday/Mayo/Basallo -- or someone else of that caliber.  But it can't be written off either.

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I posted this in the McDermott thread as well.  The overall WHIP this year doesn't tell the whole story.

McDermott has pitched parts of 6 months in AAA.  Here is the monthly WHIP breakdown,

August 23' 25.2 IP 1.05 WHIP

September 23' 12 IP 0.75 WHIP

March 24' 4.1 IP 1.38 WHIP

April 24' 17 IP 2.06 WHIP

May 24' 25.2 IP 1.25 WHIP

June 24' 23.1 IP 1.29 IP

That April 2024 WHIP really skews the numbers.  

That's good to know, but it's not just WHIP. Kremer was a little better at most things.

10 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

That's good to know, but it's not just WHIP. Kremer was a little better at most things.

Why is McDermott being lumped in with Kremer?  Whatever the pros/cons of Dean Kremer shouldn’t be lumped in with McDermott overall. 

The scary thing is that we might have to go a 6 man rotation again. So add McDermott and Kremer. Subtract Suarez. 

Also, the sky is not falling. We’ve lost 4 in a row. The sun will come up. Is the hysteria because people bet us?

Edited by sportsfan8703

• 3 months later...

If we resign Burnes then  Fried and let’s say pluck off a couple relievers on the FA market. Now let’s say Uncle Dave has decided that the one freaking thing he wants in the time he has left is to see his team win the World Series because he wants it to be so. He says sure Mike …. Go get  a few bats also.  Not likely to happen but we have no clue how much or little Ruebenstein will spend to add to this core. 

Can we win then without trading one of three guys? Your whole premise is off because it is an absolute. There are plenty of ways this team can substantially improve without trading any of those three. It may also prove true that piece we covet comes at that cost. 

I’m not saying your premise may not become reality and the cost getting a key piece they covet. It may be they can get that piece for say Heston or Povitch, McDermett, Bradfield or some combination of those type guys. I am just suggesting that keeping an open mind until we know what kind of money we will have to bring in pieces that do not cost prospects. Then decide what else is needed 

Serious question...after watching Jackson and Coby at the MLB level did either of them excite you that they will be superstars in the future? I realize they are very young and seeing what they may become is impossible. That being said, I was certainly not really excited in any phase of the game with either one of them. I certainly hope to see dramatic improvements from each of them next year. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Serious question...after watching Jackson and Coby at the MLB level did either of them excite you that they will be superstars in the future? I realize they are very young and seeing what they may become is impossible. That being said, I was certainly not really excited in any phase of the game with either one of them. I certainly hope to see dramatic improvements from each of them next year. 
    • Urias started the year 7 for 39. He OPS’d .800 from 4/8 through end of the season. 
    • I know that Urias was hot in August and he has always been a solid fill in. But he was awful Before August and had a .650 OPS after his return from injury. Just pointing that out as “guys that are hitting now”. He was hitting in August, he wasn’t really hitting now. I know it’s not directly what you were saying but just wanted to point it out. But that’s not his fault, he’s just not an every day guy. A very solid backup.
    • Are you serious? This team has played poorly since the Allstar break. The Win-Loss was mentioned here over and over again. Injuries were a contributing factor but you can’t deny the offense disappeared quite often as well. Adley’s OPS is in the 5s…. We got beat …that’s true but we didn’t do anything to help ourselves. The final out both nights were on swings with the ball at the shoe laces. 
    • This is a post from a frustrated fan and not one from an intelligent baseball man.  Which, I believe you are. The Orioles have now been losers in 10 straight playoff games and that is a huge source of everyone's frustration.  We are prepared for where lift off is going and we haven't gone anywhere. There are plenty of things to address and there are quite a few things to be concerned about going forward.  As a fan, I have to believe that everyone from the owner to the ball boys will take time to assess the failure of being swept out of the playoffs...at home...for the second year in a row. But it is assine to brand players across the board as trash and worthless talents and everyone here knows it.  The reasons we got swept out last year and caused fear that it would be repeated was pitching.  But the Orioles just pitched two beautiful games and STILL lost. The reasons they got swept this year was they swung the bats like a high school team scared that they couldn't hit the Royals pitching and they were pretty much proved right. But this team still was the first Oriole team to qualify for the playoffs in back to back years in 27 freaking years.  That is not enough.  But it IS a damn good start. Instead of throwing the entire organization into the trash, perhaps with some time to cool down, we can intelligently look at things that need to be changed.  Everyone in the organization needs to do a better job.  It's great to win more games than 28 teams over the last two years, but it absolutely stinks to have an 0-4 playoff record, at home no less, to show for it.  That needs to change. Does that mean new coaches?  I think you have to look at everything.  Does it mean the owner needs to spend?  Yes, but spending doesn't guarantee anything.  Does it mean the GM needs to do a better job to get this group to the next level...whether in acquiring or developing talent?  Yes, it absolutely does.    As for the manager?  I don't know.  I have never really been in love with Hyde.  But I don't know too many teams that have fired their manager after two seasons like the Orioles have just produced.  Wasn't he manager of the year last year? This team went from playing loose and winning almost with ease to playing tight and seemingly playing as if they knew they would lose.  They have dominated the AL East for 2 years. So yes, there is much to question.   And those questions will certainly be debated here and hopefully by the Orioles.  A straight maintaining of the status quo would be a mistake.  I don't think anyone disagrees with that.  But sir with all due respect this is a bad take and a bad assessment of the last two years and of the current Oriole Franchise.  And it isn't pollyanish to say so. The anger and frustration we all feel is real.  You didn't even touch on how the Ticket Office basically screwed every single person who renewed their plan and bought tickets and paid huge fees, only to have people sit beside them that paid 1/3 or less for the same seat.  So yeah, tonight we all feel cheated.  By the Owner, the Front Office, the Team and the staff. The sun will still come up tomorrow and there is work to be done.   Lets dig in and get started.
    • I am a newcomer to this site but have posted for many years on Camden Chat. Here are my own observations and recommendations for this club:   1. The team likely requires new hitting coaches or at least a completely different approach to offense. Players should work the counts much better, hit for contact, and specifically hit for singles and doubles. Home runs will come to this group, but not if they try too hard to get them. The league figured out their uppercut approach by mid-season, but the team did not adjust. Consistently failing to hit in the clutch is failing. Teach the players a can-do spirit. What is strange is that last year's club did all of these things really well. What happened? New batting coaches? Hubris? Home-run mania?   3. Put Gunnar Henderson at third base next season. Don't move infielders around. Let's see how Holliday can play at shortstop. We have very good defenders who too often failed to make the routine plays.   4. Spend the money required to re-sign Burns. Keep Efllin, Kremer, Povich, and Saurez. If Bradish and Rodriguez return in good form, we will have a formidable starting rotation and great extras in case of injury and for long middle-relief. The bullpen was greatly improved after the trade deadline and will be lights out if Bautista returns in good form.   5. Our manager must show tough love the way Earl Weaver used to do. He would tell the players what he saw whether they liked it or not, and that way he got the best effort out of everyone. Everyone was better off that way. Weaver was right about winning championships: the key is great pitching, great defense, and timely, opportunistic hitting (which he called "three-run homers," but he really meant guys who find ways to score runs and make the most of the opportunities given to them.)   7. Figure out what happened to clubhouse morale and fix it.
    • So fess up Adley now that you have been a huge catalyst to another epic failure for this team. What is it exactly? What did you do to address it? Did you talk about a stint on the DL to get better so you could actually help the  team out instead of fans dreading your name in the lineup.
  • Popular Contributors