Trajekt pitching machine

Moose Milligan

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/40401564/trajekt-arc-new-technology-controversy-mlb-hitters-pitchers-advantage

The Los Angeles Angels trailed by a run halfway through their May 28 game against the New York Yankees, and Willie Calhoun figured he would plan ahead. Calhoun, a journeyman outfielder, thought he might be used as a late-game pinch hitter. So he made his way to Angel Stadium's indoor batting cage and turned on Trajekt Arc, the cutting-edge machine that has quickly become a go-to throughout the industry for its ability to replicate major league pitchers.

Calhoun cued up all of the Yankees' high-leverage relievers, most of whom he had never faced, tracking as many pitches as he could over the course of a couple of innings. When he was summoned to face Luke Weaver in the bottom of the eighth, he felt ready. Calhoun took back-to-back changeups for balls, then saw a 91 mph cutter on the inner half and lofted a base hit to right field, a leadoff single that ignited a two-run inning and ultimately gave the Angels a come-from-behind victory.

"I was able to see how it was looking before I got into the box," Calhoun said. "That machine is nice."

Trajekt -- essentially a pitching robot that can play the video of any pitcher's windup, then spit out all of his pitches from the appropriate arm angle based on the reams of data available -- is now used by 19 major league teams, plus three teams in Japan, despite not existing in any form until 2021. This year, the league office has allowed Trajekt to be used in-game, a polarizing decision that has in some ways splintered the industry based on personal interest.

I'm assuming the Orioles have this.

I don't believe this technology is new at all...to a certain degree.  I remember early Camden Yards days, I'm pretty sure during the 1993 ASG year, they had a batting cage out near where the concourse meets Eutaw Street, kind of where that playground area is.  The batting cage had large screen and they were able to dial up a pitcher for you to hit off based on game footage.  Pretty sure that there was just a regular pitching machine back there, no curveballs or sliders or anything.  I think I picked Nolan Ryan.

Does anyone remember that?

Anyway, cool article, cool tech.  

On 6/27/2024 at 12:30 AM, Moose Milligan said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/40401564/trajekt-arc-new-technology-controversy-mlb-hitters-pitchers-advantage

I don't believe this technology is new at all...to a certain degree.  I remember early Camden Yards days, I'm pretty sure during the 1993 ASG year, they had a batting cage out near where the concourse meets Eutaw Street, kind of where that playground area is.  The batting cage had large screen and they were able to dial up a pitcher for you to hit off based on game footage.  Pretty sure that there was just a regular pitching machine back there, no curveballs or sliders or anything.  I think I picked Nolan Ryan.

Yes, I've read the Orioles have it. It can replicate the known pitches of literally anyone in the major leagues or at least someone with a few games of data on them. Crazy but if it works it works, and everyone seems to agree it helps them. 

On 6/27/2024 at 12:30 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Yes! I remember that.  The difference is the old one we remember from the stadium was just a jugs machine & a projector.  The Trajekt has the ability to precisely replicate pitch shape & spin rate for every pitcher in the league.  It can also adjust the release point.  I got to see one in action a few weeks ago.  It’s very realistic.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

Yes! I remember that.  The difference is the old one we remember from the stadium was just a jugs machine & a projector.  The Trajekt has the ability to precisely replicate pitch shape & spin rate for every pitcher in the league.  It can also adjust the release point.  I got to see one in action a few weeks ago.  It’s very realistic.  

Oh yeah, totally.  Didn't mean to imply that the one from years ago could spin anything...yeah, it was definitely a regular pitching machine behind a screen.

Very cool that you got to see one of these recently.  If hit the lottery, this would be on the list of things to get :)