Magic Number

vab

20 minutes ago, Filmstudy said:

Does anyone feel the magic number vs the Red Sox may be more a bigger hurdle than the one against the Yankees?

Maybe.  And I know fielding percentage isn't en vogue, but they're last in all of baseball in fielding percentage.  IMO, it's a safe bet that the Red Sox will defeat themselves at some key juncture because they field like a little league team.

I do hate the Yankees, but I absolutely loathe the Sox.  That said, I would laugh if the Yankees somehow ended up in third place this season and out of the playoffs.  

Edited by Moose Milligan
  • Like 1

Need clarity on something.  I thought a magic number was the combined O's wins and/or losses by 2nd place chasing team combined to clinch the division.  I thought the Losses by the chasing team came off the total too.  But with this "magic 8 ball" calculator above, are Yankee losses being counted too?  I ask because each time we win, it gets reduced by one per the uniforms number indicator.  But when the Yankees lose and we win, why wouldn't it drop by two on those days?

1 hour ago, OrioleintheATL said:

Need clarity on something.  I thought a magic number was the combined O's wins and/or losses by 2nd place chasing team combined to clinch the division.  I thought the Losses by the chasing team came off the total too.  But with this "magic 8 ball" calculator above, are Yankee losses being counted too?  I ask because each time we win, it gets reduced by one per the uniforms number indicator.  But when the Yankees lose and we win, why wouldn't it drop by two on those days?

It does

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Stowers and Norby are not core players but they are everyday type guys. 
    • We all know the best thing for the bullpen… to have good SP and not have to overuse/over expose the bullpen.  Tried and true method. 
    • Welp that wasn’t good. Scrap that game plan whatever it was. We need better from Kremer and the analytics/game calling team. 
    • Yup. Losing Bradish and Means cost us having one of the better rotations in baseball. But… we can still win the division with a savvy starting pitching acquisition. Home field too.  We don’t need a backhoe. We need a rake.  Burnes, Grayson, Trade SP, Suarez, Kremer/Povich is fine to accomplish our goals. 
    • Good info. This is why I think we hang onto Stowers and Norby. They’re role players. Other teams know they’re role players. Teams that are rebuilding don’t need role players. They need to try and hit on everyday players.  So Stowers and Norby are worth a lot more to us than they would bring back in a trade. I see them as 1-1 replacements for. Santa - Stowers(not the starting gig, the roster spot) Hays - Norby  Meaning, I think Beavers is more likely to go in a trade. 
    • Here’s a question I have to everyone, because I don’t know… Sig probably has models that create a WAR based number that factors in defense and baserunning right? If so, guys like EBJ would rank a lot higher than we would think. Josenberger to a lesser degree because positional value and I don’t know about his defense on the dirt. We might all look at EBJ’s season differently if there were a WAR type number generated. He might be our clear #4 prospect, and rank on some top 50-100 lists in all of milb.  I would think Sig with his models knows the answer to that. 
    • I don’t agree that we have so many holes that we can’t fill them or that we should just punt on this first place season.  However, I don’t believe that we have one of the best staffs in baseball either. We HAD one of the best staffs before the Bradish and Means injuries. Now our staff is very shaky. Look at the ERA for the first two months and then compare it to the jump in June. And the skyrocket so far this month.  Currently (for at least the last four/five turns through the rotation) at least one pitcher is getting bombed with a non-competitive start. And sometimes twice through the rotation. We are fortunate that the Yanks have cratered. But this is not sustainable through another half of baseball. There will be no abled arm relievers left by the end of the season having to cover so many innings. This is why since the Houston series we have been a .500ish team. It’s hard to sustain winning streaks with pitching that has been this bad of late.
  • Popular Contributors