Orioles want Ackley?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Ackley back in action tonight after the finals break playing 8 innings at 1B and the last in CF with the lopsided score.

He went 3-4 with a double, 2 runs scored, 3 RBI and 2 BBs.

His line stands at .392/.502/.702/1.204

Let's hope so if he can't play the OF.

A bat like his will play just about anywhere. Teams aren't too worried about him being able to play the OF from what I've read. The only reason UNC isn't letting him play the OF is because they are in a win now mode and he's been a good defender at 1B.

He could be a John Olerud type IMO...

A bat like his will play just about anywhere. Teams aren't too worried about him being able to play the OF from what I've read. The only reason UNC isn't letting him play the OF is because they are in a win now mode and he's been a good defender at 1B.

He could be a John Olerud type IMO...

We've had this talk a couple pages back. I don't mind Ackley, but at 1B he is not worth the 5th overall pick with all those talented pitchers sitting there. If we picked 10th and he was stuck at 1B, we can talk, but you of all people are going to whine til the end of time if we are playing a 1B that hits .300 and 15 HR, oh wait, we already have one of those in Snyder.

We've had this talk a couple pages back. I don't mind Ackley, but at 1B he is not worth the 5th overall pick with all those talented pitchers sitting there. If we picked 10th and he was stuck at 1B, we can talk, but you of all people are going to whine til the end of time if we are playing a 1B that hits .300 and 15 HR, oh wait, we already have one of those in Snyder.

Ackley could be Roberts' replacement as a leadoff hitter. And Ackley is more likely to pan out than those pitchers that will be taken before him IMO if he drops. I'd bank on him having the longest, most productive career in the first 5 picks of the draft.

And it doesn't matter that we have Snyder, as Snyder could always move to DH. Ackley may not be a monster power bat, but if he can be a John Olerud type, he'll be extremely valuable, especially if he can move to the OF. And besides, Ackley has a better eye at the plate than Snyder IMO and is much more athletic...

And in baseball you draft less for need and more for BPA...

What are the chances he falls to us at #5?

I think it's all going to depend on his price tag. He's a Boras guy and he's the top position player available in the Boras stable, so my guess is that he'll be asking for 6-10 million.

Seattle, SD and Pittsburgh may not want to pay that and may elect to go with pitchers considering Matzek, Crow and Scheppers will be available.

It will be an interesting draft, that's for sure.

I think it's all going to depend on his price tag. He's a Boras guy and he's the top position player available in the Boras stable, so my guess is that he'll be asking for 6-10 million.

Seattle, SD and Pittsburgh may not want to pay that and may elect to go with pitchers considering Matzek, Crow and Scheppers will be available.

It will be an interesting draft, that's for sure.

I'm hoping one of the 3 takes Ackley. I like him, think he'll be a nice player (more BJ Surhoff the Olerod), but at #5 I really want the best pitcher on the board either Scheppers, Matzek or Pruke. Based on the number of quality pitchers in this years draft vs. the number of college position prospects.

Looking at scouting reports on MinorLeagueBaseball.com, here are some players that stick out to me:

Dustin Ackley

Bobby Borchering

Rex Brothers

Mychal Givens

Grant Green

Slade Heathcott

Mike Leake

Austin Maddox

Tyler Matzek

Shelby Miller

Bryan Morgado

Stephen Perez

Matthew Purke

David Renfroe

Tanner Scheppers

Richard Shaffer

Max Walla

Any of these guys being considered? I am not very familiar with the draft, by the way.

Looking at scouting reports on MinorLeagueBaseball.com, here are some players that stick out to me:

Dustin Ackley

Bobby Borchering

Rex Brothers

Mychal Givens

Grant Green

Slade Heathcott

Mike Leake

Austin Maddox

Tyler Matzek

Shelby Miller

Bryan Morgado

Stephen Perez

Matthew Purke

David Renfroe

Tanner Scheppers

Richard Shaffer

Max Walla

Any of these guys being considered? I am not very familiar with the draft, by the way.

Those are generally early draft guys (Rounds 1-3).

Those are all the guys that the site did summaries on.....pretty much the top 10 picks will include these guys plus Scheppers, Crow and Strasburg......In our slot, the O's will be consiering: Ackley, Green, White, Crow, Schep, Matzek, Purke....Other guys in the picture would include Tate, Leake, Davidson, Miller, Poythress, maybe Kipnis too.....

Those are all the guys that the site did summaries on.....pretty much the top 10 picks will include these guys plus Scheppers, Crow and Strasburg......In our slot, the O's will be consiering: Ackley, Green, White, Crow, Schep, Matzek, Purke....Other guys in the picture would include Tate, Leake, Davidson, Miller, Poythress, maybe Kipnis too.....

Kipnis doesn't have the projection to go in the top 10 (first round would be a bit of a surprise), and I don't think Leake gets into the top 10 -- he's pushing max value in the mid-first round considering his velocity and frame. Poythress is closer to value around 20, but could crack the top 10 for someone looking for a bat in a thin bat class (I'm not convinced there's much room for projection there, either). All just in my opinion.

Thanks, I was just curious who was in play at #5. I figured most of the guys on MiLB.com were first round guys. Maybe one of them falls to us in the second? Either way, it looks like we are going to get a great talent at #5 this year. Hopefully Schep or Green.

Archived