Who will hit .290+ this season?

GotNitro

Who will hit .290+ this season (in Baltimore)  

566 members have voted

1. 1. Who will hit .290+ this season (in Baltimore)

Actually, I agree with you on this. He also lacks the HR power of a true three hitter like, say Frank Robinson or YAZ.

Remember, Robby was a top 10 all time player. Dave Winfield made the Hall too, and Markakis has been much better so far. I think you also overvalue homeruns. The Giants would have scored nearly as many runs batting Bonds leadoff with his high OBP despite him averaging 50 bombs a year. OBP is the most valuable thing in baseball because it does not result in an out.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They don't want runners on base, hence they don't want to WALK the two hitter as he usually isn't as much of a hitting threat as the THREE hitter.So they give him better pitches to hit. GET IT>?

Then why would Markakis have the second most walks in the entire American League if they are not trying to walk the second batter, as you so potently established, and Melvin Mora sucked at walking? Is it because Mora is a hitter on the decline who got to see better pitches because he was surrounded in the batting lineup by an MVP candidate and two All-Stars?????!!!!!!!!

Your crazy and are now ignored.

Remember, Robby was a top 10 all time player. Dave Winfield made the Hall too, and Markakis has been much better so far. I think you also overvalue homeruns. The Giants would have scored nearly as many runs batting Bonds leadoff with his high OBP despite him averaging 50 bombs a year. OBP is the most valuable thing in baseball because it does not result in an out.[/QUOTE]

This is someting some people around here don't understand...:scratchchinhmm:

TOP 18 is VERY GOOD, but certainly a long way from EXCELLENT OR GREAT! That term is used for the top 5.

You said the top ten was great!

And guess what?! He was top ten last year!

At this point I am assuming you are trolling yet again.

Then why would Markakis have the second most walks in the entire American League if they are not trying to walk the second batter, as you so potently established, and Melvin Mora sucked at walking? Is it because Mora is a hitter on the decline who got to see better pitches because he was surrounded in the batting lineup by an MVP candidate and two All-Stars?????!!!!!!!!

Your crazy and are now ignored.

I just rep you earlier and must spread rep.

To me a "great hitter" has to win at least more than one Batting Titles or consistently be in the top ten (usually near the top) on a yearly basis. A guy like Tony Gwynn comes to mind, or Rod Carew, or George Brett. Or going further back, Ted Williams. Markakis is not close to this type of hitter. If he does those things than I would consider him a great hitter. As of now, he is just very good period. Again, he's not even the best on a very bad Orioles team right now.

Player quiz for Old Fan. Pick the great hitter out of the following group:

Eddie Murray

Harmon Kilebrew

Mike Schmidt

Ernie Banks

Reggie Jackson

Tony Oliva

By your reckoning, Oliva is the choice. Now, does that make any sense?

They don't want runners on base, hence they don't want to WALK the two hitter as he usually isn't as much of a hitting threat as the THREE hitter.So they give him better pitches to hit. GET IT>?

But using that logic than EVERY hitter would be "better" in the number 2 spot because they "get more pitches to hit"

Look at Melvin Mora, in the third spot he was great, but batting second he only batted .225 in 191 ABs.

Now, if Melvin is such a better hitter, why did he not capitalize on the easier pitches that Markakis was getting?

Your theory has a certain logic on the surface, but the more you dig the less sense it makes.

Player quiz for Old Fan. Pick the great hitter out of the following group:

Eddie Murray

Harmon Kilebrew

Mike Schmidt

Ernie Banks

Reggie Jackson

Tony Oliva

By your reckoning, Oliva is the choice. Now, does that make any sense?

Molitor or never won a batting title either.

There's also something called discretion. Taking walks is an extremely valuable part of hitting.

You said the top ten was great!

And guess what?! He was top ten last year!

At this point I am assuming you are trolling yet again.

No, how can making the top ten once be considered great? Do you know any player who is considered "Great" for once making the top ten in batting, and that is all he did?

If (and it is a huge if) Markakis can establish himself as a top ten hitter for the next 5-10 years he would possibly enter the realm of a Pete Rose type hitter, than we can start calling him great. AS far as getting walks, Markakis has the potential to be a great walker. However, you don't get many trophies, make many all-star teams or get to the HOF for just doing that.

Molitor or never won a batting title either.

There's also something called discretion. Taking walks is an extremely valuable part of hitting.

Oliva was one of the best hitters I ever saw so yes, it does make sense. The thing is (and you wouldn't know this if you never saw him hit) he was a bad ball hitter similar to Vlad. I saw him golf ball a Cueller pitch that was down around his ankles for a homer, instead of taking a walk. That to me man, is a great hitter.

Remember, Robby was a top 10 all time player. Dave Winfield made the Hall too, and Markakis has been much better so far. I think you also overvalue homeruns. The Giants would have scored nearly as many runs batting Bonds leadoff with his high OBP despite him averaging 50 bombs a year. OBP is the most valuable thing in baseball because it does not result in an out.[/QUOTE]

This is someting some people around here don't understand...:scratchchinhmm:

Exactly, and even though Markakis finished 9th in batting, he averaged less outs than Pedroia, Kinsler, Ordonez, Youkilis, Ichiro, DeJesus, and Polanco. Only Mauer and Milton Bradley had a better OBP.

No, how can making the top ten once be considered great? Do you know any player who is considered "Great" for once making the top ten in batting, and that is all he did?

If (and it is a huge if) Markakis can establish himself as a top ten hitter for the next 5-10 years he would possibly enter the realm of a Pete Rose type hitter, than we can start calling him great.

He has been around for THREE SEASONS.

How can we be overrating based on his potential when you are ready to crown Wieters the best Oriole of all time?

Exactly, and even though Markakis finished 9th in batting, he averaged less outs than Pedroia, Kinsler, Ordonez, Youkilis, Ichiro, DeJesus, and Polanco. Only Mauer and Milton Bradley had a better OBP.

I admire hitters not walkers.

He has been around for THREE SEASONS.

How can we be overrating based on his potential when you are ready to crown Wieters the best Oriole of all time?

I am not ready to crown anyone anything. Maybe you should calm down son when reading my posts. I just believe Wieters has the "potential" to be that good.

Archived