7/5 Orioles begin their last series ever in Oakland

SteveA

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

109.7 exit on that Mountcastle ball.

On the ground.  Like usual.  After missing a 2-0, middle-middle, fastball at 92 with no movement.  

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

this game has been a lot closer than it should be...I hope we dont regret those big opportunities when we didnt deliver...

I'm sure we will, but at least we'll get to see The Reaper if they don't take a lead larger than 3.

4 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Frobby = Roy

I’m feeling a little Roy-ish tonight.  It makes me uneasy when we have a chance to break it open early and settle for a small lead.  

Suarez is doing his best to settle me down. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Fair enough. Bendix already went young with Dillon Head as the Luis Arraez trade so he might like Thomas Sosa more than Kjerstad as a player profile for when his top pitchers regain full strength down the line. I do think it is worth noting Puk went before Scott - I generally feel like that is the market identifying Puk as the top guy, though the years of control factor into that. 1 down, 1 to go on Miami having maybe the 2 best relief options for the next 3 months.
    • Ephemeral is the ending quote from DR in that article. It means perspective from ownership, balance in current thought and we shall experience a pressure point from ownership to win as a philosophy. 
    • I can’t quite tell what you are saying here.  I think Elias came into the spring with very good starter depth, even considering that he knew that Means would start the season a bit late and that Bradish had a sprained UCL that might or might not be fixed with PRP and rehab.   He still had Burnes, Rodriguez, Krener, Wells, Irvin, Suarez, Povich and McDermott.  That’s much more depth than most teams have.  But a ton of things have gone wrong and eaten away at our depth.   We need reinforcements now but I certainly can’t fault the collection of starters we began the year with.   As to the pen, I did go into the season wishing we had one more quality back end guy.  Right now, we’re really short two with Coulombe out.    I’ll close by saying I think our existing staff is better than it’s performed in July.  We do need reinforcements but the guys already here can and will do better, IMO.  
    • MLB pipeline doesn’t have De Los Santos in its top 100 either.  Just saying.
    • It’s not the be all, end all but Baseball America just updated their top 100 on July 23 to include the 2024 draft.     Kjerstad is #26.  De Los Santos is not ranked.
    • Unprotected says something, and of course the last bunch of years with Anthony Santander makes very familiar for us the kind of talent a team accessing the international talent pipeline long term might once in a while have to take a risk on.
    • De Los Santos plus is not equivalent to Kjerstad. Kjerstad is significantly more valuable. De Los Santos’ numbers are inflated and the chase rate is a real problem. From Keith Law: De los Santos has had about as good a year on the surface as any hitter in the minors, hitting .372/.426/.696 in 38 games for Double-A Amarillo and then hitting .289/.338/.588 for Triple-A Reno, with a minor league-leading 28 homers … but it’s smoke and mirrors. He does have power, but Amarillo and Reno are two of the best hitters’ parks in all of professional baseball, with Reno at 4,505 feet above sea level, meaning pitches don’t move the same way as they do at sea level. Just since getting to triple A, he’s swung at pitches out of the strike zone 43 percent of the time, and he’s whiffed on 36 percent of breaking balls regardless of location. He is “power over hit” incarnate, and he’s already moved to first base, so he has to produce on offense to have any value. The silver lining for Marlins fans is that he absolutely has the power you need at that position, and he’s only 21, so he has time to improve the approach. The Diamondbacks were obviously skeptical of his ability to do so, as they omitted him from their 40-man roster in November, losing him to Cleveland in the Rule 5 draft but getting him back in spring training. He’s a high-risk, high-reward prospect. https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5659879/2024/07/25/miami-marlins-aj-puk-arizona-diamondbacks/?source=user_shared_article  
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now