2024 Draft Tracker

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

No one ever starts at Aberdeen in their draft year.    Honeycutt, O’Ferrall, Anderson, Stafford (5), and Tuft (8) will get workouts in Sarasota, go to Delmarva, and maybe even go to Aberdeen before the end of the season.   I assume most of the others just stay in Sarasota.  

Best guess on when is probably within the next 10 days for everyone but Honeycutt who was the last to sign.

It wouldn’t be a surprise if we don’t see any of the pitchers go to Delmarva.

Thanks. I was thinking of Aberdeen when they were still a short season team. It's a shame the FCL is done for the season. Would have been nice to see them get some playing time in down there. Last season Bradfield played in the FCL, was promoted to Delmarva, then Aberdeen. But this season seems a little messed up as far as the draft goes, making it harder to get them in games. But maybe spending time in Sarasota will end up being better for their development. Just looking forward to see them getting their professional careers under way.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, linedrive said:

Thanks. I was thinking of Aberdeen when they were still a short season team. It's a shame the FCL is done for the season. Would have been nice to see them get some playing time in down there. Last season Bradfield played in the FCL, was promoted to Delmarva, then Aberdeen. But this season seems a little messed up as far as the draft goes, making it harder to get them in games. But maybe spending time in Sarasota will end up being better for their development. Just looking forward to see them getting their professional careers under way.

We could see the pitchers just get shut down.  I know the Angels were doing this with pitchers drafted in their draft year.   Fall instructs are also very useful.  Most of the NCAA bats only spent a week in the FCL.  I imagine we'll see them just go to Delmarva.  

For comparison's sake, EBJ debuted in the FCL on 8/4 last year, and in Delmarva on 8/9.  Maybe we see a bit of a delay for Honeycutt since he waited longer to sign.  

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Just Regular said:

B-Ref now has the grid filled in for any of us who weren't hand fashioning trackers - all the Y's down the Signed column pretty.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/index.fcgi?team_ID=BAL&year_ID=2024&draft_type=junreg&query_type=franch_year

Thanks.  This clears up the apparent overage in excess of 5%.  I was a little worried that we had messed up and would lose a draft pick.  O'Ferrall $2,697,500 (not $2,700,000.)  Overn $847,500 (not $850,000.)  Layton $715,800 (not $720,000.)  George $455,000 (not $455,500.)  

Those 4 have a total of $9,700 less than we thought they had signed for.  I'm breathing easier now.  🙂

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Thanks.  This clears up the apparent overage in excess of 5%.  I was a little worried that we had messed up and would lose a draft pick.  O'Ferrall $2,697,500 (not $2,700,000.)  Overn $847,500 (not $850,000.)  Layton $715,800 (not $720,000.)  George $455,000 (not $455,500.)  

Those 4 have a total of $9,700 less than we thought they had signed for.  I'm breathing easier now.  🙂

Damn those reporters that round up when they post something on social media.  I calculated that the Orioles after using their 5% overage were $145.00 shy of reaching that threshold.

22 hours ago, Number5 said:

They could have gone up to 10% over without losing any draft picks.

4 minutes ago, jcarm said:

They could have gone up to 10% over without losing any draft picks.

Either you are correct or CBS is correct.  I'm guessing it's CBS, but I'm open to reading anything you might have to support what you are saying.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2024-mlb-draft-slotting-system-explained-how-format-bonus-pools-work-and-who-has-the-most-money-to-spend/#:~:text=At higher thresholds%2C teams lose,tax for more than 15%.

Clubs that outspend their allotment by 0-5% pay a 75% tax on the overage. At higher thresholds, teams lose future picks: a first-rounder and a 75% tax for surpassing their pool by more than 5 and up to 10%; a first- and a second-rounder and a 100% tax for more than 10 and up to 15%; and two first-rounders and a 100% tax for more than 15%. 

The penalties get much steeper at more than a 5% overage, which is why no team has ever ventured into that fell territory. Getting into that first penalty phase, however, is a regular occurrence. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Either you are correct or CBS is correct.  I'm guessing it's CBS, but I'm open to reading anything you might have to support what you are saying.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2024-mlb-draft-slotting-system-explained-how-format-bonus-pools-work-and-who-has-the-most-money-to-spend/#:~:text=At higher thresholds%2C teams lose,tax for more than 15%.

Clubs that outspend their allotment by 0-5% pay a 75% tax on the overage. At higher thresholds, teams lose future picks: a first-rounder and a 75% tax for surpassing their pool by more than 5 and up to 10%; a first- and a second-rounder and a 100% tax for more than 10 and up to 15%; and two first-rounders and a 100% tax for more than 15%. 

The penalties get much steeper at more than a 5% overage, which is why no team has ever ventured into that fell territory. Getting into that first penalty phase, however, is a regular occurrence. 

You are right.