Interesting Rumor …. Holliday for Jared Jones

Roll Tide

Orioles’ ongoing quest for pitching.

Kovacevic reported, “I was told over the weekend by a high-ranking American League executive that, at some point in 2024, the Orioles approached the Pirates about a trade of elite prospects, one that’d send Jared Jones to Baltimore and 20-year-old infielder Jackson Holliday to Pittsburgh. I was further told that it was Ben Cherington who backed off. And as the opening sentence of this paragraph suggests, I’ve got no idea when within this year it occurred. Only that it did.”

https://thereportonsports.com/pittsburgh-pirates-explore-trade-options-orioles-offered-jackson-holliday-for-jared-jones/

Edited by Roll Tide

• Roll Tide changed the title to Interesting Rumor …. Holliday for Jared Jones
5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This has been posted twice before that I know of.

I don't recall which threads.

Not ripping on you, just an FYI.

Thanks …I’d have to think hard about this one …. 1.1 WHIP… K9 ..9.7 bb9  2.7 …. 

6 hours ago, Malike said:

I'm pretty sure the guy who supposedly reported this refuted that he ever said it or something to that effect in another post. Let it die, it's not a thing.

You’re correct …Thread closed 

• Upvote 1

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• As recent  as mid July, we had people saying he should be optioned. People kept saying, his statcast stuff doesn’t matter since the results aren’t there.  “it’s not all bad luck” No it’s not all bad luck but those takes look so foolish right now imo. The process was always there. He was consistently doing what you want, outside of the swing and miss.(not saying that’s not a big deal) When are people going to learn patience? We are starting to already see it with Mayo. We saw it with Holliday. We saw it with Gunnar. We saw it with Grayson and we saw it with Adley. People (not just OH) never learn. I don’t know if it’s just a feeling of the Os can’t develop because that was an issue in the past or what but the Ignoring of stats, how well the org is doing with developing, etc…is really painful to watch. 
    • Exactly. Hearing some people talk about Jackson’s defense makes me believe that they have never played the sport before. Playing 2B is very different than playing SS. There is no guarantee that says just because someone plays SS, that they will be able to play 2B or 3B better. The position is new to Jackson, he has always been a SS. Hopefully he adjusts and can figure it out, but maybe he doesn’t and he’s just a stronger SS. We are spoiled because of Mateo’s versatility and ability to switch and be elite defensively. It’s not that simple.    same thing with Mayo. People see he’s not 20 year old manny machado defensively and want to complain. We saw the same thing with Cowser in the OF last year. These things take time,  Offensively and defensively.    One thing that has been true for every single one of our super prospects, is that even with the early struggles they have made adjustments and are all much better after they do. Some of them it took a reset in the minors (Holliday, Cowser, Grayson), some of them figured it out with the Orioles (Gunnar, Adley, Westburg). I think the same will be true with Jackson’s defense and mayo overall 
    • You can still put people on waivers and then let a team claim them.   Giolito, Reynaldo Lopez, Harrison Bader, Grichuk, Matt Moore and Hunter Renferoe all were acquired after the deadline this year just to name few.  If a team falls out and can save a few million in makes sense.  Snell probably won’t because of the option but I could see Scherzer or other higher priced guys put on waivers, it will just depend what team wants to cover the remaining salary.  
    • A big homestand for them starts this afternoon as a doubleheader with the division leading Guardians kicks off a 4-game series followed by a Royals visit.     Alex Cobb listed for CLE one of the games in his AL return. Should we continue to win zero games without 6 or more runs as has been the case for a month, it will be a wildcard or nothing and MIN-CLE-KCR are likely opponents. Royce Lewis' career on a very slow roll has been tantalizing.    He combines the 1-1 pedigree of Jackson Holliday, the per game performance of Gunnar Henderson, and the health track record of Jacob deGrom. Carlos Correa looks like the rest of his career may involve fasciitis management.     He took some downtime around the All-Star break.     This homestand seems like a natural return point to keep pushing through the pain, but no transaction yet.     His return may or may not involve a Brooks Lee option.    Lee is a top prospect in Coby Mayo's ballpark, and entering today he is at about 40 active roster days and 100 at-bats. The top of their pitching staff is fierce.     A 3-game ALWC series, Pablo, Joe Ryan, Ober, Jhoan Duran and Griffin Jax can probably do almost all of it, though Ryan did exit his last turn after 2 innings with triceps tightness. The Twins will be the Orioles opponent in Games 160-162 following the huge Yankee Stadium series the final week.
    • This is why I prefer + statistics, like OPS+, wRC+, etc. Where do they stand compared to their peers seems more relevant than their pure rate/counting stats when the run environment seems to change so often.
    • Is Colton Cowser a reasonable facsimile of Alex Gordon? Better maybe?
    • With offense down around baseball its possible Santander could get 5 years in free agency. Seems unlikely he'll extend here for anything team friendly. Which to me is two years.  I like Santander and the season he's having, but the O's have some replacements for him. I'll still be sad to see him go, but he'll be 30 next year and that's when players begin to rapidly decline.
  • Popular Contributors