Elias speaks on deadline and prospects

Sports Guy

3 hours ago, Say O! said:

I just chuckle at Elias turn of phrases like “prepared to support our pursuits in that area.”  I mean who seriously talks like that aside from McKinsey consultants?

and while all comments on players taken with GM grain of salt, it does not sound like Elias will be trading any of the big3 prospects.

I hear you. I like when he was asked when Mayo was coming up a while back. He said Mayo was "on the tip of their tongue". Lol

7 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

I am neither overstating anything nor panicking. Although I disagree with the inferred strategy, I understand his logic, and it’s defensible.

I’m just saying that based on his quote, and I’m saying this for the third time, he is preparing us for basically the same thing we got last year.
I would be happy to be wrong, but although GM’s are quite content to lie, Most would prefer a statement that is vague enough that it could go either way. With that in mind, this particular statement is fairly concrete.

He said, blah blah, blah blah blah “BUT it’s hard to match up.”So the last thought he leaves us with is that, despite his effort, it’s not working out and he’s not going to pay the high price.

He’s shown that he doesn’t like paying the high price, so he may not, and that’s what I think the comment means, that’s what I said, that’s a defensible position, and we will see what happens.

I interpreted his comment the same way.  He is trying to prepare us to not expect too much.  I'm confident that he will make trades, but I'm no longer confident that they will be significantly more impactful than last year.   

• Upvote 1

I think Elias is focused on getting a #3 starter and he is willing to trade young pitching to get him.   Johnson, Povich or McDermott could be traded along with a non top 4 prospect.   Elias is willing to take on salary.

One target would be Bassitt.

I know it’s dumb to try and read between the lines, but the phrasing when talking about Holliday and Mayo is that they’ll help the Orioles. With Basallo it’s more about where he’ll end up and his bat potential. Almost like he’s selling Basallo. Of course, it’s most likely just that Mayo and Holliday’s descriptions are clearer because they’ll likely help this year. 

39 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think Elias is focused on getting a #3 starter and he is willing to trade young pitching to get him.   Johnson, Povich or McDermott could be traded along with a non top 4 prospect.   Elias is willing to take on salary.

One target would be Bassitt.

Bassitt would be a decent target. I’d hope we don’t have to give up anything for him. The 21M he’s due next year is not desirable. 

2 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Bassitt would be a decent target. I’d hope we don’t have to give up anything for him. The 21M he’s due next year is not desirable. 

Yeah, I could get behind Bassitt if we don't give up much for him. 

41 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I’m mean 21 million isn’t a bad contract for a SP.  concerning are his H/9 and BB/9 are both up by 1.0+ . His K Rate is consistent so it’s interesting. 

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’m mean 21 million isn’t a bad contract for a SP.  concerning are his H/9 and BB/9 are both up by 1.0+ . His K Rate is consistent so it’s interesting. 

It’s not bad but it’s not great either. Some teams like the Dodgers won’t care but they aren’t giving up a ton either.  If Toronto trades him, it won’t be a salary dump but they won’t be getting back a lot either..unless they eat salary.

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

I know it’s dumb to try and read between the lines, but the phrasing when talking about Holliday and Mayo is that they’ll help the Orioles. With Basallo it’s more about where he’ll end up and his bat potential. Almost like he’s selling Basallo. Of course, it’s most likely just that Mayo and Holliday’s descriptions are clearer because they’ll likely help this year. 

I'd prefer to have Adley and Basallo ready to share duties of C and 1B to keep them both in the lineup. Having a catcher serve as DH is not preferable in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

I'd prefer to have Adley and Basallo ready to share duties of C and 1B to keep them both in the lineup. Having a catcher serve as DH is not preferable in my opinion. 

Basallo is 19 years old in AA….There is 0 chance that he’s near being called up. 

• Upvote 1

Supply, demand, and human psychology = troublesome trio for decision making.  How many future wins will the market want us to pull forward into a trade?  

Elias sounds like he expects Mayo and Holliday to contribute in 2024.