I Don't Understand It, They're Not Even Competitive Right Now.

ORIOLE33

I know, "it's baseball." But how can a team that was so good, become so bad over night? They're not even hitting HR's right now. I never thought that we desperately needed to make a move, but something needs to be done. The Yankees were slumping as bad as were were and we have literally turned their season around. 

This team needs to get their s**t together. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I know, "it's baseball." But how can a team that was so good, become so bad over night? They're not even hitting HR's right now. I never thought that we desperately needed to make a move, but something needs to be done. The Yankees were slumping as bad as were were and we have literally turned their season around. 

This team needs to get their s**t together. 

Multiple bats slumping, possibly too many heads on an AS game, this is no shock to me coming off the home run tear in June, they weren't keeping that up all year, they were going to level off. 

Currently, the pitching is bad, the offense is bad and the defense is bad.  Not going to win too many games when you are stinking up the place in all 3 phases of the game.  

What drives me nuts is they swing at the first pitch and pop-up or hit a weak ground ball.  If you are consistently doing that, then you most likely are ignoring the first rule of hitting, get a good pitch to hit.  

7 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

When you start awful hitters like Jorge Mateo, Ramon Urias, and Cedric Mullins regularly in your lineup, you wind up paying for it. Especially when your best hitters (Gunnar, Adley) go into a slump as well.

Every team has 2 or 3 below average hitters in their regular lineups and our bottom of the order is better than most other teams.  Urias is ops + is 98 that is league average in the 9 hole.   Mateo is 93 slightly below average.  Mullins at 74 is the only one really below league average.   

10 minutes ago, Chromehill said:

Currently, the pitching is bad, the offense is bad and the defense is bad.  Not going to win too many games when you are stinking up the place in all 3 phases of the game.  

What drives me nuts is they swing at the first pitch and pop-up or hit a weak ground ball.  If you are consistently doing that, then you most likely are ignoring the first rule of hitting, get a good pitch to hit.  

Players batting average  on first pitch this season.  
Henderson .310 
Rutschman .462

Santander .275 

Mounty .441

Westy .327

Mullins .295

O’Hearn .245

Cowser .545

Mateo .343

They are hitting much better on first pitch average and ops then they are when taking a few pitches.  If the first pitch is good swing at it and do damage.  

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

When you start awful hitters like Jorge Mateo, Ramon Urias, and Cedric Mullins regularly in your lineup, you wind up paying for it. Especially when your best hitters (Gunnar, Adley) go into a slump as well.

I think this is the best answer the lineup is still dominated by the likes of hitters who Elias would have never drafted. I like Santander and Mountcastle, but they are very streaky and will swing at anything. 

We need to see more of Kjerstad, Mayo and even Norby getting at bats. Give it a year and will be seeing more of the hitters drafted by Elias in the starting lineup. 

13 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

We just had a stretch where we played 30 games in 31 days, had a day off, and then promptly went on a west coast trip. 

Then, we get a home-stand, and just happened to luck into playing against 

Jameson Taillon (pitching like a #1-2 this year) 
Shoto Imanaga 
Justin Steele
Gerrit Cole 
Luis Gil 

The pitching has 100% been a let down this week, but I can’t fault the offense.  It is hard to get going when you’ve got five TORP’s in a row, heading into a break no less.  

Baseball is 162 games.  We will be fine.  And even if not……the window is open for a ridiculously long time.  

A reasonable take. Agreed on all points. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, orioles119 said:

Good thing they are 15+ games over .500.  Slumps happen and will survive the sky is falling crowd.  They are clamoring the loudest right now, but still - perseverance is in short supply nowadays.

Exactly right. People need to step off the ledge. They're 57-38. After 95 games in 2023, they were 58-37. 

Are they having a tough time right now? Sure. But c'mon, some people need to have a little perspective.