Perfect Example Of Tejada Losing a Game!

Eli Eon

Heaven forbid when Hernandez makes an error in Sept. that costs us a game. LOL.

My take on all of this is trade Tejada and Gibbons for Jay Bruce.

Fortunately, we won't likely find that out because we have an All Star Calibur SS that plays EVERYDAY. He might get one or two days "off" in September at DH, but who knows if Hernandez will even be with the big club then.

Theres always Fahey and a healthy Bynum.

And we all know that Bynum doesn't make errors...hes the man ;)

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Luis Hernandez has a .580 OPS at Bowie. That's about the same as Paul Bako does in the majors, except Hernandez is doing it against mainly 19-25 year olds many of whom will never see the light of AAA. A reasonable expectation for a major league translation of a .580 OPS in AA is maybe a .500 in the majors. The lowest OPS in the majors among qualifiers is .573. Hernandez is that bad against AA pitching.

It's reasonable to assume he'd be the single worst-hitting regular in the major leagues, and it wouldn't be close. WRONG!!

Oriole DHs, by comparison, have a .694 OPS, roughly 200 points better than what we can expect out of Hernandez.

For this move to begin to make any sense at all Tejada would have to be, by far, the worst fielding shortstop in baseball. He's not.

Yeah, Hernandez was really killing the Orioles with his Bako-like hitting?:rolleyes:

One could only wish Bako could hit like this in the major leagues!:P

.333 .333

Name Luis Hernandez

Born 6/26/1984

Height 5-10

Weight 165

Number 2

Position SS

Bats S

Throws R

Season Avg. SLG G AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS E

YTD .333 .389 13 36 4 12 14 2 0 0 4 1 8 1 0 0

Last 10 Avg. AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI W SO

@ TAM 8/4 .333 4 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 2

vs. NYY 7/29 .344 4 0 2 0 0 0 2 0 2

vs. TAM 7/26 .321 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

vs. TAM 7/25 .321 4 0 2 0 0 0 1 0 0

vs. TAM 7/24 .292 4 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 2

@ OAK 7/22 .300 4 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0

@ OAK 7/20 .313 4 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1

@ SEA 7/17 .333 4 1 2 0 0 0 0 1 1

vs. CWS 7/15 .250 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

vs. CWS 7/14 .250 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Who cares about his minor league numbers when he is hitting .333 against ML pitching and playing sparkling defense? I say they should have given the kid a chance. :( It would be different he was hitting .093 like some people claim he would. But the point is he was hitting just fine! I would take this hitting over any LF er we have right now. You know what they say about making assumptions!:eek::rolleyes:

Yeah, Hernandez was really killing the Orioles with his Bako-like hitting?:rolleyes:

.333 .333

Name Luis Hernandez

Born 6/26/1984

Height 5-10

Weight 165

Number 2

Position SS

Bats S

Throws R

Who cares about his minor league numbers when he is hitting 333 against ML pitching and playing sparkling defense? I say they should have given the kid a chance. :( It would be different he was hitting .093 like some people claim he would. But the point is he was hitting just fine! I would take this hitting over any LF er we have right now.:eek::rolleyes:

Dude, are you serious?

Drungo has told you before..MLB history is FULL of guys who have great stats in a small ammount of time.

Luis Hernandez does not have the same stats in his Minor League Career, at his age, its not likely that it all just clicked all at once.

Nobody has ever rolled their eyes as much as you.

Only seven more posts left...

.333 .333

Name Luis Hernandez

Born 6/26/1984

Height 5-10

Weight 165

Number 2

Position SS

Bats S

Throws R

Who cares about his minor league numbers when he is hitting 333 against ML pitching and playing sparkling defense? I say they should have given the kid a chance. :( It would be different he was hitting .093 like some people claim he would. I would take this hitting over any LF er we have right now.:eek::rolleyes:

Sample size

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

The sample size of a statistical sample is the number of repeated measurements that constitute it. It is typically denoted n, and is a non-negative integer.

Typically, different sample sizes lead to different accuracies of measurement. This can be seen in such statistical rules as the law of large numbers and the central limit theorem. All else being equal, a larger sample size n leads to increased precision in estimates of various properties of the population.

A typical example would be when a statistician wishes to estimate the arithmetic mean of a continuous random variable (for example, the height of a person). Assuming that they have a random sample with independent observations, then if the variability of the population (as measured by the standard deviation σ) is known, then the standard error of the sample mean is given by the formula:

\sigma/\sqrt{n}

It is easy to show that as n becomes large, this variability becomes very small. This yields to more sensitive hypothesis tests with greater Statistical power and smaller confidence intervals.

With more complicated sampling techniques, such as Stratified sampling, the sample can often be split up into sub-samples. Typically, if there are k such sub-samples (from k different strata) then each of them will have a sample size ni, i = 1, 2, ..., k. These ni must conform to the rule that n1 + n2 + ... + nk = n (i.e. that the total sample size is given by the sum of the sub-sample sizes). Selecting these ni optimally can be done in various ways, using (for example) Neyman's optimal allocation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_size

We care about his minor league numbers because they're a more accurate predictor of long-range success. Man this argument has gotten old. And stale. And redundant. And idiotic. We're not the dense ones here.

It instantly makes the team better defensively. But it also instantly makes the team far worse offensively. Hence, it instantly makes the team as a whole worse.

Why don't we just move Tejada to 3rd, play Hernandez at SS and move Mora to the OF? Doesn't that make the most sense? Tejada can get acclimated to 3rd for those teams that need a 3rd baseman. Now that his power is returning, we don't have to worry about production from him at 3B. Mora's defense has been pretty bad since he came back from the DL and a move the OF might be better for him and the team defensively.

Dude, are you serious?

Drungo has told you before..MLB history is FULL of guys who have great stats in a small ammount of time.

Luis Hernandez does not have the same stats in his Minor League Career, at his age, its not likely that it all just clicked all at once.

Nobody has ever rolled their eyes as much as you.

Only seven more posts left...

Well you can believe Drungo and his stats related crystal ball, but I prefer in believing what I saw on the field. If stats were so GD reliable how come guys like Drungo can't predict games individually as to who will win and what the score's gonna be and clean up in Vegas? I will answer that one for ya, there are too many variables!:eek::P

Amongst qualified MLB short stops in 2007, Miguel Tejada...

Has a .974 fielding %, good for 10th in the majors.

Has committed 9 errors, only 3 short stops have less.

Has a zone rating of .852, good for 5th in the majors.

10th, 4th, 5th, horrendous!

Of course all I have to do is use my eyes and actually watch the games, and abandon logic, and forget my education, and to hit myself in the head with a tac hammer, to realize that this team would be better off with Miguel Tejada not at short stop.

Well you can believe Drungo and his stats related crystal ball, but I prefer in believing what I saw on the field. If stats were so GD reliable how come guys like Drungo can't predict games individually as to who will win and what the score's gonna be and clean up in Vegas? I will answer that one for ya, there are too many variables!:eek::P

Now I know what Sisyphus felt like.

Why don't we just move Tejada to 3rd, play Hernandez at SS and move Mora to the OF? Doesn't that make the most sense? Tejada can get acclimated to 3rd for those teams that need a 3rd baseman. Now that his power is returning, we don't have to worry about production from him at 3B. Mora's defense has been pretty bad since he came back from the DL and a move the OF might be better for him and the team defensively.

Trade him now while he still has some value. He's no ARod. I bet that move would be a disaster. Trade him for a promising left fielder or DH. Trade him now.

Of course all I have to do is use my eyes and actually watch the games, and abandon logic, and forget my education, and to hit myself in the head with a tac hammer, to realize that this team would be better off with Miguel Tejada not at short stop.

Yet he somehow botches more easy routine DP balls than any regular Oriole shortstop I have seen since I went to my first game in 1963!:eek: Sorry to say that just doesn't show up in those stats, which is why stats don't tell the true picture of how bad Tejada is at shortstop! Maybe you should try using your hammer to your head to get that obvious point?

Maybe you should start paying better attention to the game and relying on what is actually happening, say down on field as a gauge, instead of in the stats books? Wala, a novel idea eh?:confused:

I've posed this question before. Name 5 shortstops worse than Tejada defensively. I'll give you the first 2 - Young and Jeter - you give us the next three.

I've posed this question before. Name 5 shortstops worse than Tejada defensively. I'll give you the first 2 - Young and Jeter - you give us the next three.

Hanley Ramirez, Carlos Guillen, Betancourt

Betancourt has great range but his defensive stats suck and he has a ton of errors.

Archived