Perfect Example Of Tejada Losing a Game!

Eli Eon

There might not be a huge dropoff between this year's Jay Gibbons or Jay Payton and Hernandez, but there would be a collassal dropoff between an average LF or DH and Hernandez. Just because the FO is incapable of finding MLB quality guys to play LF and DH doesn't mean its a good idea to put a guy who can't hit his weight in grams at SS. The goal should be to find a good LF/DH to replace Gibby/Payton. Not to find a crappy SS to replace Tejada and put Tejada at LF/DH, that would be a lateral move at best, and most likely hurt us.

And for the billionth, Hernandez is not an elite defensive SS. He had a great couple weeks, but his fielding numbers in the minors and scouting reports don't indicate that he's some wizard with the glove. I will give you that he's probably better than Tejada, but I don't think he'd save enough runs over Tejada to even makeup for the dropoff from Gibby's to Hernandez' bat.

And to be fair.. we have a new FO and really haven't had enough time or seen enough evidence to know what it is currently capable of...

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And you are missing the point that with Tejada at SS there would still be generated offense from a REAL DH or LF.

We don't have a very good example of that this year, but on a real team you have a legitimate Designated Hitter.

Further the idea of moving Tejada now, with a month and some change left in the season seems totally ridiculous.

It only matters to the Orioles making comparisons to a "real" team as you put it is doesn't effect the current status of the Orioles and is therefore meaningless.

Moving Tejada would be ridiculous if the team was in a race but since they are not, I think it would be a worthwhile move to see if the team dramatically improves or not.

It only matters to the Orioles making comparisons to a "real" team as you put it is doesn't effect the current status of the Orioles and is therefore meaningless.

Moving Tejada would be ridiculous if the team was in a race but since they are not, I think it would be a worthwhile move to see if the team dramatically improves or not.

Moving Tejada hurts the team for the future because it would lower his trade value if we essentially admit that he is no longer a capable SS, which obviously is not true.

So you just admited that the games at this point don't mean much. So why jeopradize Tejada's trade value or value to our own team by putting him in left field.

Do you know how bad it would be if he broke his arm trying to catch a ball in LF?

And yes we need to make comparisons to a real team. Hopefully we aqcuire a legtimate LF and DH this offseason thus making any Tejada positional shift a mute point.

I think the league has enough scouts to realize that Tejada is finished at SS. California is just the first of teams that if they have intrest in him will want him to move position. Moving him into LF before the season could likely help his trade value. For that matter we wouldnt have to trade him at all and could look to fill SS, 1st, ,DH and maybe some in the Pen.

Moving Tejada hurts the team for the future because it would lower his trade value if we essentially admit that he is no longer a capable SS, which obviously is not true.

Other teams are not stupid. Most of them would probably want to move him anyway, as his blunders at shortstop are quite visible to all. (Major league teams do not just rely on stats, they do scout the games).:eek:

Moving him into LF before the season could likely help his trade value. For that matter we wouldnt have to trade him at all and could look to fill SS, 1st, ,DH and maybe some in the Pen.

This is entirely wrong. He does not stack up offensively against the top offensive Left Fielders, Designated Hitters, or First Basemen in the League. As we keep saying, his value comes from being a top offensive SHORT STOP. Lets just look at our own division. How does Tejada compare offensively to Matsui, Crawford, Vernon Wells, and Manny? While he might compare to Wells and Crawford to an extent, the fact that they are actually capable and even good fielding LF, makes them more valuable in Left Field.

The same can be said for DH or 1B.

This is really ridiculous.

Other teams are not stupid. Most of them would probably want to move him anyway, as his blunders at shortstop are quite visible to all. (Major league teams do not just rely on stats, they do scout the games).:eek:
No, the only teams that would want to move him are teams with better SS that would be trading for him specifically to play 3B. The only team that really fits that bill is Anaheim, and thats only because Cabrera is having a monster year. Tejada has always been better than him before this season and I expect Tejada will have a better year than Cabrera next season.

No, the only teams that would want to move him are teams with better SS that would be trading for him specifically to play 3B. The only team that really fits that bill is Anaheim, and thats only because Cabrera is having a monster year. Tejada has always been better than him before this season and I expect Tejada will have a better year than Cabrera next season.

I disagree. Jerry Hairston was a second baseman with the Orioles who got moved to the OF because everyone in their right mind (except a few Sunspot poster idiots) saw that Brian Roberts was a better fielder and hitter. Hairston subsequently got dealt and I believe has been an outfielder ever since (instead of a second baseman).

I envision the exact same thing will occur with Tejada, so the Orioles might as well make the friggin move NOW and get it over with. His sorry defense at short (I believe) is going to lower his trade value the more it becomes visible to all the scouts watching.

I disagree. Jerry Hairston was a second baseman with the Orioles who got moved to the OF because everyone in their right mind (except a few Sunspot poster idiots) that Brian Roberts was a better fielder and hitter. Hairston subsequently got dealt and I believe has been an outfielder ever since (instead of a second baseman).

I envision the exact same thing will occur with Tejada, so the Orioles might as well make the friggin move NOW and get it over with. His sorry defense at short (I believe) is going to lower his trade value the more it becomes visible to all the scouts watching.

Scouts understand that players contibute on both offense and defense, and that those relative contributions need to be compared to their peers at their position. Tejada is worth far more as a SS to any team than he is at any other position. Unless his defense is appalling, which is absolutely is not despite your ridiculous claims, he'll be a SS wherever we trade him to this offseason.

I disagree. Jerry Hairston was a second baseman with the Orioles who got moved to the OF because everyone in their right mind (except a few Sunspot poster idiots) that Brian Roberts was a better fielder and hitter. Hairston subsequently got dealt and I believe has been an outfielder ever since (instead of a second baseman).

Wow!

I don't know which is worse: that you just compared Jerry Hairston Jr. to Miguel freaking Tejada or the fact that that isn't nearly the most ridiculous thing you've posted on this thread.

What I find ridiculous is the arguement we cant move Tejada to LF because he doesnt stack up well to who the league has playing left field. LOL. Well he sure stacks up well to who WE have playing in LF.

We might lose Patterson in Free Agency and have to move Payton to center. So really there are many reasons to stop the slow bleeding and move him.

Another big reason is it is alot easier position to play for a season. As he ages he will wear down less playing a less demanding spot and we might even see a nice jump in his offense.

That is after he stops pouting.

What I find ridiculous is the arguement we cant move Tejada to LF because he doesnt stack up well to who the league has playing left field. LOL. Well he sure stacks up well to who WE have playing in LF.

We might lose Patterson in Free Agency and have to move Payton to center. So really there are many reasons to stop the slow bleeding and move him.

Another big reason is it is alot easier position to play for a season. As he ages he will wear down less playing a less demanding spot and we might even see a nice jump in his offense.

That is after he stops pouting.

We stink. Upgrading over what we currently have really doesn't take much. We could put a lawn chair in LF and upgrade over Captain Popup. But that doesn't make it a good idea.

Archived