2024 6th Round Pick (#189): DJ Layton - SS - (HS) Charlotte Christian HS (NC)

@Jim'sKid26 Because you are easily confused, or you just don't read well, it was a joke that he has mound upside, because as I'm sure you are fully aware Givens was a failed position player (SS) converted to the mound I hope that clears up your confusion, I hate to bewilder people.

Edited by Malike

3 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

DJ is from around here, have saw him play a few times.  He is a great athlete with some tools.  He can pick it well with good footwork and quick release and  average to slightly above arm strength.  He has a short stroke that helps him turn on balls.  I think there more power in his game in the future as he grows and learns some.  He played at a small private school but held his own in some tournaments with upper level competition.   This is most likely an over slot pick but we probably already knew the number we needed to get him out of his Southern Miss commitment.   I really like this pick even if it wasn’t a pitcher as it is upside pick with projection.  A good comp might be Luis Garcia for the nats.   

I have watched him play in multiple tournaments and during his high school years. I think his arm is better than you describe. Would grade him as solid above average with a chance to be even better with a bit of work on his footwork and positioning. He hasn't received the elite level coaching (no offense to the Charlotte Christian Coach) to nearly the extent some of these big school kids get. Solid bat. If they can sign him away from So Miss I'll be surprised, but very happy for him and his family. 

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

@Jim'sKid26 Because you are easily confused, or you just don't read well, it was a joke that he has mound upside, because as I'm sure you are fully aware Givens was a failed position player (SS) converted to the mound I hope that clears up your confusion, I hate to bewilder people.

Why the attack? I didn't give you a down vote. Seems a bit harsh to insult my cognition and my reading comprehension. But please forgive me if you feel slighted in any way. It was not my intention.

I am well aware of Givens journey through the Orioles player development program. But thank you for the primer.  I see very little else that is similar between Givens and DJ Layton. It seems to me that many prep pitchers find themselves playing SS when they are not on the mound. Especially the good athletes. Might be a coincidence, it's hard to know.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 86this said:

I saw that post earlier as well. Cool stuff. He’s the earliest HS position player since Mayo. Our track record of HS position players inside top 10 rounds are Gunnar, Mayo and Willems.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I have watched him play in multiple tournaments and during his high school years. I think his arm is better than you describe. Would grade him as solid above average with a chance to be even better with a bit of work on his footwork and positioning. He hasn't received the elite level coaching (no offense to the Charlotte Christian Coach) to nearly the extent some of these big school kids get. Solid bat. If they can sign him away from So Miss I'll be surprised, but very happy for him and his family. 

I am sure they know the number to sign him since they took him as an over slot guy, unless he changes that number I expect him to sign.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

I am sure they know the number to sign him since they took him as an over slot guy, unless he changes that number I expect him to sign.  

Yeah.  This certainly sounded like he expected to sign.

WhatMommaKnows

@WhatMommaKnows

I never imagined that this kid who ran the bases in Camden Yard when he was nine would be paid to run them years later.

20 hours ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Would like to read more about him, but certainly an intriguing pick give it is their highest hs pick excluding holiday at 1/1 in since baumler/mayo in 2020. 

I coached against him in HS. Very good hands defensively and has gotten stronger in the last few years. Only saw him hit righty vs us but seems to handle FB and offspeed well with very quick hands. He’ll need some time in the minors to get stronger and make adjustments to ++ pitching, but if he can continue his upwards trend in hitting, he’s a very good pick that should develop in a few years.

30 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yeah.  This certainly sounded like he expected to sign.

WhatMommaKnows

@WhatMommaKnows

I never imagined that this kid who ran the bases in Camden Yard when he was nine would be paid to run them years later.

Maybe that's all it would have taken to make Mark Teixeira an O's fan.  I just can't let go...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I saw that post earlier as well. Cool stuff. He’s the earliest HS position player since Mayo. Our track record of HS position players inside top 10 rounds are Gunnar, Mayo and Willems.

And Hernaiz.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sounds almost like an intl FA.

Recently turned 17, projectable build. Typical lottery ticket that could go in any number of directions. If you believe the talent is there, you make a move like this.  

How’s your math?    He turns 18 on July 21.