What would you prioritize as great news for the O's as of now?

Greg Pappas

Anything that helps the team now first and foremost, but a close second is something signaling that Rubenstein is willing to shell out some cash (extending Gunnar, Burnes, Adley, etc., for example).

A Skubal acquisition would be top of my list, tbh.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

In other words, would an extension, a trade, or something else be the 'best news I could hope for now'? Be specific.  A trade of Ramon Urias for Skubal doesn't count. 🤣

I'll go with a Burnes extension.  I'm not expecting it, but that would REALLY put a smile on my face.

Burnes extension won't happen.   Nor should it imo.

My dream scenario would be a trade for Miller and Crochet involving a combo trade of Holliday and other top prospects....not including Cowser, Mayo, Heston and Basallo. 

That Basallo, Mayo, and Holliday are still in the system on August 1st and that they acquired Mason Miller (somehow without including any of them in the trade), giving them a better bullpen and equipping them to roll the dice and see if they catch fire in October.

8 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Burnes extension won't happen.   Nor should it imo.

My dream scenario would be a trade for Miller and Crochet involving a combo trade of Holliday and other top prospects....not including Cowser, Mayo, Heston and Basallo. 

The Burnes thing with some of you around here is extremely funny. He’s been durable over the last four years. Guys complain about the risks of trading prospects for Skubal, Crochet etc etc due to injury history. 

I agree with @Greg Pappas and think Burnes would be a sound investment to anchor our rotation. I’m not saying you don’t insure the contract but it’s a good place to start a starting rotation and the first TOR we’ve had in years.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

The Burnes thing with some of you around here is extremely funny. He’s been durable over the last four years. Guys complain about the risks of trading prospects for Skubal, Crochet etc etc due to injury history. 

I agree with @Greg Pappas and think Burnes would be a sound investment to anchor our rotation. I’m not saying you don’t insure the contract but it’s a good place to start a starting rotation and the first TOR we’ve had in years.

I’d be over the moon with a 4 year Burnes extension. Incredibly durable. Bulldog. Professional. Excellent.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I’d be over the moon with a 4 year Burnes extension. Incredibly durable. Bulldog. Professional. Excellent.

Yep! Sign me up for an extension of Burnes. And I’ll go out on a limb and predict that’s what happens.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

A ring

22 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Then it’s putting us in the best place possible (and reasonable) to get a ring. 

22 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

That's not news... that's a broad hope.  What reasonable thing does what you wish?

I do think this is the answer though.  I mean sure we would all be excited to trade for both Skubal and Miller and still have 3 out of 4 of the to 4 and plenty would be ecstatic to have those two even if all four were gone.

At the end of the day, we are one of the best teams in baseball and winning the AL East, the ALCS and the World Series are the only appropriate measures for those expectations.   So whatever reasonable move expands our potential to add those accomplishments work.  Do it with flashy trades, deft moves or double down with what you have.  I don't care.  Results.  We are the reigning AL East Champs, and we need to build on that.

But to your point, I would like to have most 3 of the top 4 prospects stay, and see us trade some mixture of top talent farm or roster and some deep future pieces to deepen the talent of this club and keep the extended future as bright as possible.  I would love to see an extension(s), but realistically, that is something that would be very surprising now.  

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

Yeah …some guys are worth the stretch. To me Burnes is one of those.

14 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I think Burnes would be a helluva an asset for us long term.  I just don't think any pitcher....considering the injury risk....is worth the $ they are now getting and that he will be asking for next year. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole