July 20th @ Rangers

8 minutes ago, Malike said:

That's why it's descriptive and not predictive. There is enough advanced scouting on where to play guys and it doesn't take anything but EV and LA into account. You could hit a ball 100 MPH on the ground to 3B on 1 hop 100 times and make 100 outs but your xBA would be .600 despite being .000

It's definitely just a tool and needs to be used appropriately.  Yes, a ball at that speed and angle will be a hit about 1/2 the time, depending on just how close it's hit to a fielder.  And someone who can consistently hit the ball hard should, over time, have better numbers than someone who consistently hits the ball softly.  But as you said it's descriptive and not predictive.  It's get to see Cowser hitting the ball hard.  I think that, over time, that will result in him having better overall numbers than what we are seeing.  But at the end of the day the numbers are what the numbers are, good, bad or indifferent.  He's been a bit 'unlucky' as in many of his hard hit balls have been right at defenders.  But that's part of baseball.

3 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

It's definitely just a tool and needs to be used appropriately.  Yes, a ball at that speed and angle will be a hit about 1/2 the time, depending on just how close it's hit to a fielder.  And someone who can consistently hit the ball hard should, over time, have better numbers than someone who consistently hits the ball softly.  But as you said it's descriptive and not predictive.  It's get to see Cowser hitting the ball hard.  I think that, over time, that will result in him having better overall numbers than what we are seeing.  But at the end of the day the numbers are what the numbers are, good, bad or indifferent.  He's been a bit 'unlucky' as in many of his hard hit balls have been right at defenders.  But that's part of baseball.

I think it's fine when you take it for what it is. Like I said, Gunnars groundout in the first with a launch angle of -2 and 100 MPH EV had an xBA of .440. Guys know where to setup on guys in the IF and OF so they are rarely in the wrong position to make easy plays on balls that statcast thinks should be hits. Mullins hit his ball 104 with a 32 LA and it went 409 feet 30/30 and an xBA of .760.

Edited by Malike

Just now, bpilktree67 said:

Yeah he needs to throw more fastballs and changes tonight.  The breaking balls are not sharp and no command.  

The problem with his high fastball is his slider is more horizontal and he doesn’t throw curve enough. The only pitch he has to play off it is changeup and you don’t really want to be throwing that high.

Just now, Malike said:

Gunnars first out is an out 100 times out of 100 times. The launch angle was -2 and the EV was 100.5. The xBA was .440.

For sure.  But only a small % of MLBers are able to consistently hit the ball that hard.  If he connects with the ball 1/4” lower it’s a HR.  If that ball was hit 10’ to the left or right it’s a hit.  If you high the ball hard consistently good things will happen.  No amount of advanced scouting will completely subdue a batter hitting the ball hard consistently, there are just too many variables.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I would be OK with this and it’s what Hyde was doing with Kimbrel in a way too. We’ve got guys that can match up, let’s try to take advantage. 
    • A 90 win season with Grayson missing at least 10 starts, Means and Bradish missing at least 20 each.  Throw in Tyler Wells missing most of the season and other injuries I think this team and its management has done well.  If just a little more healthy they could have had back to back 100 win seasons.  I am glad we have Mike Elias and Brandon Hyde leading this team.  
    • Some interesting things of note from https://www.samford.edu/sports-analytics/fans/2023/Sabermetrics-101-Understanding-the-Calculation-of-WAR. I pulled out the relevant areas: Fangraphs allocates 570 WAR for position players and 430 WAR for pitchers, while Baseball-Reference allocates 590 WAR for position players and 410 WAR for pitchers The major difference between fWAR and bWAR comes from the measurement of fielding runs, which is the defensive output a player provides. Fangraphs uses a statistic called Ultimate Zone Rating (UZR), while Baseball-Reference uses a statistics called Defensive Runs Saved (DRS). The differences in these stats can lead to drastically different calculations in WAR for some position players. UZR takes into account 3 years of players’ data as well as MLB data to determine these percentages, whereas DRS uses essentially 1 year of data. Therefore, some rookies will have drastically different UZR and DRS stats. As opposed to positional players, Fangraphs and Baseball-Reference take drastically different steps in calculating the WAR of pitchers. It does not follow the formula for position players but does try to calculate the “wins” that a pitcher gives to their team. Instead, they use a “base” statistic to help calculate WAR. Fangraphs uses FIP, or fielding independent pitching, as its base for calculating pitchers' WAR, whereas Baseball-Reference focuses on Runs Allowed per 9 innings (RA9) for its base I think the main takeaway for Gil, bWAR likes him more than FanGraphs probably because FG aims to take the defensive element out of the calculation by centering on FIP. And if we look at FIP, his is close to 4. But Baseball Reference is using RA9 which does have a defensive element inherently calculated. As for Cowser, I reckon FG likes him more than BBRef particularly on the defensive metric side of things. Maybe BBRef is harsher on the DRS side than FG is on the UZR side. To me, I like FG for pitchers far more than BBRef. For position players, I’d give the nod to FG but mainly because I think DRS can have some wide swings where UZR has a tendency to be more centered.
    • Win game 1, Kremer/Suarez game 2, win game 2, Eflin game 1 ALDS? Win game 1, Kremer/Suraez game 2, lose game 2, Eflin game 3? Lose game 1, Eflin game 2?
    • The win tonight in game 161 allowed the 2023-24 Orioles to reach 191 wins, tied with the 1964-65 and 1965-66 teams for the 7th most wins in consecutive seasons.  With a win tomorrow, they could move up to a tie for 5th. Tonight’s win also gave the O’s 275 wins over the last 3 seasons, tied for 11th with the 1975-77 and 1976-78 O’s.  They could move into a tie for 10th with a win tomorrow.  
  • Popular Contributors