McDermott to start Wednesday?

Tony-OH

6 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

McDermott has a lot better stuff than Povich, but his control seems to come and go.  He looked dominant in the 2nd inning and then fell apart in the 3rd inning.  He threw 40 pitches in the 3rd inning and couldn't seem to throw strikes when he was carving up the Marlins an inning ago.  He might be lucky to get thru 2 innings against the Yankees or Dodgers.

I hear what you’re saying overall but the yankees offense outside of Judge and Soto is an embarrassment. Why would he be lucky to get through 2 against the yanks right now? Two days ago they had Jahmani Jones leading off and JD Davis and his -0.4 WAR batting cleanup. Judge was walked 4 times in that game.

6 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

McDermott has a lot better stuff than Povich, but his control seems to come and go.  He looked dominant in the 2nd inning and then fell apart in the 3rd inning.  He threw 40 pitches in the 3rd inning and couldn't seem to throw strikes when he was carving up the Marlins an inning ago.  He might be lucky to get thru 2 innings against the Yankees or Dodgers.

He looked like a reliever last night.  Good through the first time through the order and struggle after.

That isn’t to say that’s his definitive future role but the stuff is really good and it will play up out of the pen. 

I would like to see him get more starts up here but if it’s not happening as a starter for this year, move him to the pen and see how he does. Could be an asset in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Baker sent down. Feels like he has done a decent job since coming back up. Surprised he was the choice.

Baker has the option and will be the yo-yo guy this season.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He looked like a reliever last night.  Good through the first time through the order and struggle after.

That isn’t to say that’s his definitive future role but the stuff is really good and it will play up out of the pen. 

I would like to see him get more starts up here but if it’s not happening as a starter for this year, move him to the pen and see how he does. Could be an asset in the playoffs.

McDermott turns 26 next month, so he's who he is at this point. We don't know how he will look pitching on one or two days rest because the Orioles have not developed him as a reliever. Could he do it, perhaps, but that is part of my issue with the Orioles continuing to develop guys who could be of help as relievers as starters. 

Could McDermott be that impact reliever this team needs? It's possible, but it might have been even more possible if he was used that way this year in AAA. 

McDermott has a starter's repertoire, but he's got a reliever's command and he's been inconsistent as a starter even this year in AAA. 

If they send him back down, they should do what they did with DL Hall and use him a reliever in August in AAA, see how he looks, then bring him up late in August for the pen so he's available in the playoffs if he looks good in that role.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I get it but he’s performing right now and that is lacking in the pen. 

The pen has actually been pretty decent the last 30 days. Overall ERA is 4.73 in that timeframe but take out McCann, Krook, Tate, and Irvin’s innings and that goes down to 3.44. Obviously Irvin is still out there right now but he’s the long man and not going to pitch in any leverage situation.  The rest of the current pen has been pretty good.

They still need a true 8th inning guy that can get both LHB’s and RHB’s out though.

14 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

The pen has actually been pretty decent the last 30 days. Overall ERA is 4.73 in that timeframe but take out McCann, Krook, Tate, and Irvin’s innings and that goes down to 3.44. Obviously Irvin is still out there right now but he’s the long man and not going to pitch in any leverage situation.  The rest of the current pen has been pretty good.

They still need a true 8th inning guy that can get both LHB’s and RHB’s out though.

3.44 ERA is not a good bullpen ERA. There are no impact relievers in this pen besides Kimbrel. This bullpen needs major upgrades to be a winning playoff caliber bullpen.

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

3.44 ERA is not a good bullpen ERA. There are no impact relievers in this pen besides Kimbrel. This bullpen needs major upgrades to be a winning playoff caliber bullpen.

I don’t think it’s amazing but that would be 5th in the MLB right now. I agree on your last 2 points though, there’s no reliable shut down arm besides Kimbrel and I would like to see them add 2 late inning arms. Perez, Webb, and Cano are not 7th/8th inning guys like they’re being used as right now.

I was just pointing out that the BP ERA the last month has been heavily inflated by relievers no longer on the roster and Irvin. 

Am I the only one annoyed by how much Rutschman called for the splitter.  Get ahead of the hitters with pitches you can consistently throw from strikes then try a splitter.  It was obvious that he was missing away to LH hitters with almost every splitter.  Sure, he threw 2-3 good ones but he also kept getting into bad counts because of all of the bad ones.  He was getting his other pitches over more consistently and his fastball is supposedly his best pitch.  Throw it!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It's the "Kevin Gregg" mentality of never giving in.  Who cares if you make a good pitch 3-1 when the hitter is looking to tee off.  Make that pitch earlier in the count.  

Pictures tell a big story.  McDermott is good when hitters are looking to swing and he throws the ball that actually looks like a strike.  Cowser is good when he swings his heart out and actually makes contact.  

Maybe with McDermott, it's just as simple as trust your stuff early in the count.  

6 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Does this mean McDermott can't start during the double header on Monday? Or can they still add him as the extra man?

I'm assuming since its a doubleheader that the 15 day down limit doesn't apply.  But I'm not sure.  

35 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'm assuming since its a doubleheader that the 15 day down limit doesn't apply.  But I'm not sure.  

I am betting Povich gets the start in the double header.